mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Potential Instigator Build- let me know opinions

I ride in NJ and currently ride an XC HT 26'er that fits the bill.

The Instigator just seems awesome and has everything I would look for for future upgrades vs the feeling I am moving into an state of being obsolete (thanks bike industry ;-)). Upgrades would include such things as 650B and Seat Dropper Post...

Not to mention I love SS'ing

I am thinking it might be a great way to convert to 650B in a slower more scenic route- kids and home expenses will prevent a full on complete bike purchase so I am thinking of buying a frame. I was thinking of slotting everything from my current steed over to the new frame (I would need a new headset for the 44 head tube). Upgrades would be gradual but I could grab a new fork and wheel set to space out the cost over time.

Currently I ride a bike that was designed for 100mm and I ride 130mm Fox Vanilla which has an axle to crown of 501mm. The Instigator has the 140mm fox float which has an axle to crown of 509mm. I assume the effect of using my current vanilla will steepen the head angle slightly- say from 67.5 to 68- does that sound about right? I am also under the impression the seat angle would steepen as well- but just not to the extreme as the head angle.

Wheels would be standard 26 wheels for the time being- not the 26+ but I really do not need all that rubber where I currently ride but I like the idea of being able to go bigger (2.4+) if I need to do so on my current Stan Flows. As time goes on I can decide if I want to go 650B or 26 dirt wizard.

Let me know your opinions. I know the frame is a few months out but I wanted to gain opinions from the surly riders out there- if I am trying to fit a square peg in a round hole I would rather hear that now then learn the hard way later on...

Thanks all!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    The posted geometry for the Instigator is with a sagged 650b fork. Actual axle to crown length of the fork they're using is somewhere around 535mm

The Fastest of Bananas
    Sounds like you have a decent plan. I say go for it. Its a veratile frame, and I love options

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the replies! Good call on the sagged measurements- I always found it interesting how some companies post static vs sagged.

After posting this I sent a similar email to Surly and Ben got back to me pretty quickly. The frame is designed around a fork with 120-140mm of travel and he thought the 130mm would be a nice "middle of the road" set-up considering my intention of running a standard 26 wheel set.

This is shaping up to be a great option- I am very excited about this bike! Now I just got to determine the proper size... ;-)
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Potential Instigator Build- let me know opinions-instig.jpgfind an old one to build up, they're still awesome!