Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556
Results 2,751 to 2,764 of 2764
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i had to fool around with various stems to get it comfy and i will probably try some woodchippers at some point since the junebug bars are maybe a tad narrow for me...
    You might consider Cowchippers. The 46cm ones feel a lot wider than their 46cm. I used them briefly and really liked them, just had them on the wrong bike.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    You might consider Cowchippers. The 46cm ones feel a lot wider than their 46cm. I used them briefly and really liked them, just had them on the wrong bike.
    i tried to get a set of cowchippers when i bought my straggler but they were out of stock at the time...i ended up with some easton ergo drops that are just about right except i dont much care for them off road,or even on what passes for dirt roads here....or better to say climbing is fine,its going down the steeper stuff where i want regular flat bars....plus i rarely use the drops so i dunno,maybe woodchippers would be a bad choice since theres just more drop for me to not use...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Surly Troll 2017

Surly Troll 2017 with Knards 3.0 tires.
    Really comfortable riding.
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-17098357_10155182856555962_4812132968353340124_n.jpg

mtbr member
    i tried to get a set of cowchippers when i bought my straggler but they were out of stock at the time...i ended up with some easton ergo drops that are just about right except i dont much care for them off road,or even on what passes for dirt roads here....or better to say climbing is fine,its going down the steeper stuff where i want regular flat bars....plus i rarely use the drops so i dunno,maybe woodchippers would be a bad choice since theres just more drop for me to not use...
    Whatever you use, consider using one of these stems:
    https://www.crustbikes.com/products/...stem-pre-order

Or not. I think the LD stem would be the way I'd go if I were trying to fit drops on a Surly mtn bike such as an Ogre. Just not sure how it'd look.

As for the Cowchippers, I found them to be quite comfortable on long dirt road descents. I just didn't like them as much as Cowbells for regular "road" riding.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    No link for ya but Guitar Ted put an LD stem on his old KM with drop bars and seemed to like it. g-tedproductions.com, should be easy enough to find his words/photos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Surly Troll 2017 rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris View Post
    Allow me to be the first to add content, here's my newly acquired Pugsley. Next to it is a Kenda 2.3 just to demonstrate how big the Endomorph tires really are. Enjoy.
    I have rebuilt my bike from a legacy Troll Frame to the new 2017 model to accomodate a 26 plus tire, the Surly Knard. The clearance is a bit crowded but the setup is wonderful as it floats and hhas a fuller gripPost pics of your Surly!!!-17098357_10155182856555962_4812132968353340124_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Whatever you use, consider using one of these stems:
    https://www.crustbikes.com/products/...stem-pre-order

Or not. I think the LD stem would be the way I'd go if I were trying to fit drops on a Surly mtn bike such as an Ogre. Just not sure how it'd look.

As for the Cowchippers, I found them to be quite comfortable on long dirt road descents. I just didn't like them as much as Cowbells for regular "road" riding.
    i was talking descending on singletrack,as far as road downhills both bars are just fine...its really just the steeper bits where you need to get off the back of the saddle,but i guess thats the nature of riding dirt on drops...

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    No link for ya but Guitar Ted put an LD stem on his old KM with drop bars and seemed to like it. g-tedproductions.com, should be easy enough to find his words/photos.
    i need to talk to P at the shop,im still getting some hand numbness after extended rough bits...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    i was talking descending on singletrack,as far as road downhills both bars are just fine...its really just the steeper bits where you need to get off the back of the saddle,but i guess thats the nature of riding dirt on drops...

i need to talk to P at the shop,im still getting some hand numbness after extended rough bits...
    As the SS CC build slowly develops I'm trying glean all the info I can from your KM/Straggler experiments.

Right now plans include--
    Jones Bend H-bar
    Rock n Road tires
    desire to ride some pavement

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    lol,i just need another frame i guess!

yeah,its a quandary for sure,i really like the drop bar setup on the monkey,but the hand numbness sucks,im wondering if the bars are too padded since there gel pads and gel tape...and as much as i like it in this mode its really a kick ass mountain bike...and with the bar end thingy i have on the ict that has all the hand positions i like about drop bars but with the off road control of regular bars...and it fits the bike better frankly...

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhereyonder View Post
    I'm in IA while my ECR is in WY. :-/

From a January ride....
    Attachment 1125725
    What bag do you use with your bindle? I bought one from Alpkit that is tapered, I could have gotten the Revelate bag but it was much more than the Alpkit even with International shipping.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisliwanag View Post
    I have rebuilt my bike from a legacy Troll Frame to the new 2017 model to accomodate a 26 plus tire, the Surly Knard. The clearance is a bit crowded but the setup is wonderful as it floats and hhas a fuller gripClick image for larger version. 

Name:	17098357_10155182856555962_4812132968353340124_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1125875
    nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    What bag do you use with your bindle? I bought one from Alpkit that is tapered, I could have gotten the Revelate bag but it was much more than the Alpkit even with International shipping.
    Is it the Airlok 13 liter? How do you like it? It looks like a nice bag and the daisy chain would come in handy.

I bought the terrapin and it works great. It does sag over the back of the Bindle without an extra strap running along the full length of the rack, and it also rubs a bit against the saddle bag loops on a brooks saddle. Otherwise, no complaints.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisliwanag View Post
    Surly Troll 2017 with Knards 3.0 tires.
    Really comfortable riding.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17098357_10155182856555962_4812132968353340124_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1125780
    Everything about that bike looks right.

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556