mtbr member

Twin Trolls from Malaysia

Trolls in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-troll2.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm really digging this Krampus

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice, I like the tire tracks it lays down.

Abby Normal
    I'm a bit of a Surly aficionado / whore. Almost all of these bikes have been through multiple iterations / configurations:

The On-One carbon fork is a fair bit nicer ride than the stock Surly fork. XT / Blunt wheelset, setup tubeless w/ Bontrager strips & valves have been totally bomber.

Smooth road bike, handles the occasional dirt road with aplomb.

Have done everything with this bike, touring, long rides on jeep trails, occasional single track.

And the missus bike:

She likes orange.

mtbr member
    Sweet Surly collection!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well my 1X1 posted elsewhere in this thread just got a Fat brother, Pugsley
    Still singlespeed 36:18 and it fits in well with the 1X1, compliments it nicely.
    I picked up the frame, forks, and wheels last October and slowly put it together when time and money allowed. Finished in the new year and have been out and about on it quite a bit. This year they have a 14'' frame but last year the 16 was the smallest I could get, so it has a shorter stem to bring the feel back to the same as my 14'' 1X1, hence the same H bars.
    Must admit I love it but my 1X1 is still my number 1. They both do different things but in a similar way if that makes sense and they both have their own roles where they shine.
    Thought I'd share
    Jamie

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiedyer View Post
    They both do different things but in a similar way if that makes sense and they both have their own roles where they shine.
    No need to justify having more than one Surly on this forum ;-) Sweet Pugs - 36x18 seems like pretty stout gearing, strong work that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

... and if we just ... JamiesPugs

Hi Holmes
    I know I dont need to justify them, I ride them, the make me smile everytime and enjoy the ride regardless of weather or whatever else is going on. Thats what justifies them to me. I also have a Long Haul Trucker
    The gearing is great and I must admit it seems easier on the Pugs than the 32:16 on my 1X1. The tyres make it feel like a 1X1 with suspension as it rides over almost anything even sitting down, very plush. I have been up in the mountains the last two weekends with mates on geared bikes and never a problem, I cant hang round on the steep uphills barely moving and chatting like them as I have to now and again stand up to keep the momentum going but I've not had to get off and walk anywhere (so far).
    See how it goes for now, but really enjoying it so the original plans for gears are on hold.
    I should mention that while the Pugsley doesnt really feel that heavy, I picked up the 1X1 after not having ridden it for a few weeks and it felt very, very light , so maybe when I take it out I will be flying on it
    All the best
    Jamie
    Last edited by jamiedyer; 02-11-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: to add something

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You in the UK Jamie, maybe Scotland or boarders, landscape looks a bit like that part of the world.

36x18 on a Pug are you Sir Chris Hoy on a winter training ride

Nice piccys

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Scotland Pugs

Quote Originally Posted by Ace. View Post
    You in the UK Jamie, maybe Scotland or boarders, landscape looks a bit like that part of the world.

36x18 on a Pug are you Sir Chris Hoy on a winter training ride

Nice piccys
    I'm currently located in the far North of Scotland, just near John O'Groats, though travel all over meet up with riding buddies. All over Scotland depending whats on and sometimes further afield for singlespeed, retro and Fat bike runs.
    The Pugs pics were taken on Dunnett beach and Rothiemurcus. Somewhere on here, I think the 'show us your 1X1's' thread there are pics from around Torrindon and a few around Skye
    The 36:18 feels pretty good to me and maybe feels a bit of a 'diesel' compared to the 32:16 of the 1X1
    As for Chris Hoy, I wish, I'm only a small guy and probably weigh about the same as one of his legs
    Whereabouts are you located?

Jamie

I Ride for Donuts
    Caught my Ogre cheating on me...Post pics of your Surly!!!-picture3.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Trollin

Post pics of your Surly!!!-outsidebike1.jpg

Post pics of your Surly!!!-bike1.jpg

Post pics of your Surly!!!-2013-02-19_11-52-44_8.jpg

Post pics of your Surly!!!-2013-02-19_11-42-05_213.jpg

My fairly new orange SURLY Troll Single speed. Rolls on Velocity Blunt P35 650B hoops laced to XT hubs, BB7 mtn brakes. Built it up with Howitzer Hussefelt race parts, new bash guard, Nevegal 2.35s . It has a ery high bottom bracket, 24 cm to bash guard, 29 cm to bottom bracket. Love it! One of the last Orange Trolls that was on QBP (i'm a mechanic)!

My solution to wanting a 29er that i can manhandle (i'm under 6 foot tall), pretty light, haven't weighed in this configuration yet, under 24lbs.

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    waves at Jamie

Split between Grimsby (very flat) and Exmoor (very hilly)

Might as well spam some piccys in as well, put one in the 29er forum Rigids on technical terrain thread.

Raced the Monkey in another Downhill race, tree dodging root skimming fun in an S&M kind of way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-485370_410433762384037_2110665052_n.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-602135_480143318706698_1168669260_n.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-377607_10151509510845530_812599149_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampelhasser View Post
    My Karate Monkey with Alfine 11

Attachment 768031

Ampel
    Can I be in your will? Great Bike!

mtbr member
    You race a rigid KM with rim brakes at downhill events!? Your balls are enormous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ogre in current form - plenty on the to-do list, but I like it as-is too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member

LHT at the Columbia Gorge.

I was going through some old pictures and came across this one. Hoping to get away for a little 3 day adventure to the OR coast later this year. I love my LHT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-dscn1180.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    You race a rigid KM with rim brakes at downhill events!? Your balls are enormous.
    Nope normal size nuts (balls) already thought about how to improve things as well....
    wider rims at least 25mm would help (running 18mm track wheels)
    disc brakes, seems to be a bit of rim/wheel deflection into trees under heavy front braking with the V's
    shorter seatpost, did lop 1 1/2" off, maybe another 1/2" for a bit more sack clearance
    being a bit fitter and braver would help.
    Could string some photos together of the section of track, start with me then mix in DH bikes for what came next if you want sasquatch.

mad dogs and englishmen, was good fun, scared a few big hitters but track was a bit tight for a 29er

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace. View Post
    Nope normal size nuts (balls) already thought about how to improve things as well....
    wider rims at least 25mm would help (running 18mm track wheels)
    disc brakes, seems to be a bit of rim/wheel deflection into trees under heavy front braking with the V's
    shorter seatpost, did lop 1 1/2" off, maybe another 1/2" for a bit more sack clearance
    being a bit fitter and braver would help.
    Could string some photos together of the section of track, start with me then mix in DH bikes for what came next if you want sasquatch.

mad dogs and englishmen, was good fun, scared a few big hitters but track was a bit tight for a 29er
    i salute you and your balls sir

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I love my LHT.
    Yep, I can't imagine ever being without one.

troll
    Here's the most recent pic of my Dummy. Going on two years as my daily ride.
    Name:  dummy.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  203.5 KB

mtbr member

Just a basically stock Karate Monkey....

I was in Bike Wagon over the President's Day long weekend, as they finally had Conti Gran Prix 4 seasons on sale and I wanted a pair for my Wabi, and I spotted this proverbial doggie in the window. Picked it up for a fraction of every price I've seen online for the 2012 complete bike. Changed out the seat / pedals / grips and I will replace all other parts as they wear out. Got me into the game for the price of the frame and brakes. Figure I can't go wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-p1000534.jpg  

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    just added a jones bar to my ogre
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_20130226_221537.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keski View Post
    Keski, that picture and bike are gorgeous! The black and white shot, on what I assume is a Necro Pug, looks terrific. I would love to see more pics.

Page 55 of 79 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 ... LastLast