Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556 LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,700 of 2764
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    it requires a special camera to capture images of matterhorn due to the gravitational lensing that occurs near neutron star density calf muscles!
    I think that's called a fisheye lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    or at the very least a fishy lens!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    or at the very least a fishy lens!
    haha

mtbr member

Back to gears.

As much as I love my CC set up SS, I wanted to make it a tad more versatile so set it up as a 1x9. The front ring is 38t and the cassette is 11/32 so I pretty much have the gears I need for all my winter and early spring riding. I've thought about selling this bike multiple times and so glad I haven't. It's 10 years old and going strong.

I also finally got some Paul's Touring Cantis on it. They're fantastic and yet I sorta regret not going with the Mini Mots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-31255841000_bef3ed737f_z.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-1x91132.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-cc1x91132.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

noob bikepacker
    Krampus in it's home environment!! Best time to ride!

Post pics of your Surly!!!-wint2.jpg

Sno-bike angel
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-snoangl.jpg
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Big Dummy resting under the moon.

DSCN3175 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiedyer View Post
    Big Dummy resting under the moon.

DSCN3175 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr
    ...that is sweet!!!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Here's my Ice Cream Truck!

It got too cold for the dropper so I put the rigid post back on for the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    out and about on the krampus...
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_20161218_105102562%5B1%5D.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by theruns View Post

Nice Truck!!! Too cold for dropper, but never too cold to ride!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161218_105102562[1].jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	1111167
    That looks like a happy Krampus!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im really liking the krampus as a singlespeed,had fun chasing matterhorn around the trails yesterday,sure is a fun bike to ride...

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by theruns View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161218_105102562[1].jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	1111167
    im really liking the krampus as a singlespeed,had fun chasing matterhorn around the trails yesterday,sure is a fun bike to ride...
    ...and all I get to do is chase squirrels and joggers....

I keep looking at mine and thinking "...hmmm, Single speed", and then I look at the bikepacking forums (cause that is what I am headed for) and think ..."hmmm, current set up"
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    luckily i have a geared setup for mine as well...but with the right gearing i think bikepacking a ss would be fine,easier in some ways since it would keep the pace fairly even...

noob bikepacker
    luckily i have a geared setup for mine as well...but with the right gearing i think bikepacking a ss would be fine,easier in some ways since it would keep the pace fairly even...
    yeah...but I a wuss when it comes to climbing...

but I hear ya. I am trying to figure out which gearing I will like for an ss. I think after I do that, I would have to try it in some specific climbing situations to see. Also no derailiuer would be one less thing to break on a longer trip.

That is part of the plan for this year...to get more into the gearing thing and see what happens. Up till now, I have just got on and pedaled.
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i was a wuss about climbing until i started riding singlespeed...

You can always set up a bail out gear. On my fat bike, I've got a 2 gear set up (Dinglespeed). 30x20 and 26x24. That low gearing has been a lifesaver on bikepacking trips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i normally run two cogs in the back spaced two teeth apart since i commute to the trails but i think i will try a dinglespeed on the krampus...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    For a bikepacking/long ride rig it seems dinglespeed is a winner. Can't see any disadvantages apart from angering the SS purists. My WED will likely see a bail out low gear soon.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    ....Can't see any disadvantages apart from angering the SS purists.
    That seems like reason enough.

Seriously though, I think a Dinglespeed ICT would be sweet.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    lol,yeah,going dinglespeed on the krampus will also give me an opportunity for even more bike bling since i can get an absolute black 28 tooth oval,or maybe the 26 in red to off set the green 32 tooth and get lime green and red cogs from absolute bikes along with two colors of ss spacers!

I would try to guess the most optimal gearing (for bail out), then notch it down by 2T. I've gone from the stock 26x20 gearing to 26x24. I'm even toying with the idea of a 25T or a 1:1 ratio 26T cog in the back. Never underestimate the noodliness of your legs in the middle of an epic ride.

By the way, I use Endless cogs, which have performed very well. Comes in pretty colors as well.

noob bikepacker
    so the Dinglespeed will probably become a thing here in the future. In the back of my mind I was wondering if that was possible
    '15 Surly Krampus

noob bikepacker
    i was a wuss about climbing until i started riding singlespeed...
    yeah...that is the motivation that is going to push me this year...
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    for sure i can say that doing the strava climbing challenges helped me a bunch with climbing since the bigger months when you start doing 8000m or more in a month you kind of need to have a plan to knock it out....that built a solid base for me,then i started following matterhorn around and learned the techniques of climbing off road and went and practiced those relentlessly...its taken me a year of work,but im much better at climbing now...

MaxTheCyclist.com

Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Wednesday at Grahams Hills NY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got a WTB ranger 29x3 in today...
    both front wheels are identical,surly ultra new hubs laced to velocity blunt35's,the tire on the right is a WTB trail boss 2.4

Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04757.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04758.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04759.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04760.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    got a WTB ranger 29x3 in today...
    both front wheels are identical,surly ultra new hubs laced to velocity blunt35's,the tire on the right is a WTB trail boss 2.4
    Looks like there is not a new boss in town. Or is the Ranger bigger than the photo indicates?

I'll look forward to hearing more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i imagine on a 50mm rim they would be wider but next to a chronicle they look tiny...
    but on the same rim they look pretty darn close,the ranger being slightly taller and just a skosh wider to the eye...felt good on a brief 30psi test ride but i will be interested to see how well its supported at lower pressure,the trail boss was already the plushest front tire ive ridden on the km barring having a knard or chronicle up front...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got a pretty fair shakedown cruise in today on the half plus monkey trailboss/ranger combo...
    although im confused now as to what i did...i spent time on pavement,gravel,two track and singletrack so im not sure if i went gravel grinding or mountain biking...
    at any rate it was fun...the ranger did great,i have no idea what tire pressure aside from going from "hardly any give" on the road and gravel part to "that seems about right" on the trail bits...typical blend of rocky and sandy parts,did good in the arroyo bottoms,seemed like little problem keeping on track,good cushioning on the front,and rear for that matter...really no traction problems to report even on the looser climbs...definitely scraped the sidewalls up a bit so we shall see if they start weeping sealant...

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_20170106_114022133_hdr.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-img_20170106_114027807_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That bike is in desperate need of some bling

Jammin' Econo
    Can't quite tell from the pics - Trailboss front, Ranger rear?

although im confused now as to what i did...i spent time on pavement,gravel,two track and singletrack so im not sure if i went gravel grinding or mountain biking...
    at any rate it was fun...
    'Member the days when we just rode 'dirt' bikes, and took them everywhere? Damn I miss those days....
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    That bike is in desperate need of some bling
    this is the ninja bling bike...first you hear the angry hornet whine of the pro4,then the blue bits jump out and get you!

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Can't quite tell from the pics - Trailboss front, Ranger rear?

'Member the days when we just rode 'dirt' bikes, and took them everywhere? Damn I miss those days....
    other way around on the tires...

when did riding a bike get so complicated? going to the grocery store seems like a bike ride to me,heck,i went 20+ miles out of my way today to get something from the store a mile away...was it a commute or did i go mountain biking? im so confused...what if i went on the drop bar straggler? what the heck was i doing then?

Jammin' Econo
    ....when did riding a bike get so complicated? going to the grocery store seems like a bike ride to me,heck,i went 20+ miles out of my way today to get something from the store a mile away...was it a commute or did i go mountain biking? im so confused...what if i went on the drop bar straggler? what the heck was i doing then?
    I agree, it's gotten really confusing. Here are a few questions that can help with categorizing your ride:

Were you wearing an aerodynamic helmet?

Did you carbo-load beforehand?

Did you share your app-tracked performance results across your social media platform?

Were you wearing lycra? Wool? Denim cutoffs?

Was it just water in your bottles, or a performance-enhancing concoction?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This is the Surly thread. Here is all you need to know Hamsterspam: If you you were on a bike you went for a ride, if you were on your feet you were walking

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i did get two 2nd overalls on strava today! lol...but i was already in second place so i beat myself today...

ummm...i had a ham and egg sammich and a nap afterwards,does that count as carbo loading?

does lime gatoraide and tequila count as performance enhancing?

yes,i did wear lycra,but no nuts were buttered!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    i did get two 2nd overalls on strava today! lol...but i was already in second place so i beat myself today...

ummm...i had a ham and egg sammich and a nap afterwards,does that count as carbo loading?

I don't what you did but...most of that sounds like sex was a big part of it. Not judging, my WED and I have been doing some heavy petting.

Jammin' Econo

noob bikepacker
    This is the Surly thread. Here is all you need to know Hamsterspam: If you you were on a bike you went for a ride, if you were on your feet you were walking
    this might go in my sig...great way to sum up the vibe here!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    I don't what you did but...most of that sounds like sex was a big part of it. Not judging, my WED and I have been doing some heavy petting.
    i saw the crux tracks everywhere,those tires really leave an impression on the ground....you should probably take care to balance out your east/west riding lest the traction change the earths rotational speed...

of course it all sounds sexy,thats one frisky karate monkey what with all the bling,sorta like hopping on freshly oiled swedish lingerie model and hanging on for dear life!

Jammin' Econo
    I'm reading this right now:

While I'm not necessarily on the same page with Petersen on everything across the board, it's a refreshing read in these times of everything being so hyper-specialized and techie. Definitely in-line with the Surly perspective.

wanna ride bikes?
    Were you wearing Denim cutoffs?
    what decade is this?

a halloween cross race is the only place that's even remotely acceptable, and afterwards you'd have to drink a lot of IPA to cleanse yourself.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    what decade is this?

a halloween cross race is the only place that's even remotely acceptable, and afterwards you'd have to drink a lot of IPA to cleanse yourself.
    I guess I need to start putting [/joking] on my posts....

But now I'm tempted to go for a ride in cutoffs and a waxed cotton jacket.

wanna ride bikes?
    I guess I need to start putting [/joking] on my posts....

But now I'm tempted to go for a ride in cutoffs and a waxed denim vest.
    fixed

i understood you were joking. even though i was serious.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i scored some sweet hawiian shirts at the thrift store,thats about a close to kit as i get...

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    fixed
    Nice.

i scored some sweet hawiian shirts at the thrift store,thats about a close to kit as i get...
    I'll take a Hawaiian shirt over a lycra jersey any day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Nice.

I'll take a Hawaiian shirt over a lycra jersey any day.

Hawaiian shirt + Blackborow = Win!

And BTW, this is the Surly thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    now to really confuse things...

i got bored today...cold enough i didnt want to head out this morning,and im dog sitting and she wasnt feeling well,then it got windy...

so...the half Dead Monkey Wood...

is it a mountain bike with drop bars or a extra-half-plus monstercross?

Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04764.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04765.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04766.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Is that a Cowchipper or a Woodchipper?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    like i said...i got bored today...

the straggler with riser bars and a set of bar ends inboard of the brake levers for climbing...

sort like if mecha-elton john ate too many tropical fruit skittles and a couple of bikes and then vomited...

Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04761.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04762.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc04763.jpg