• 07-31-2016
    volksbike
    1 Attachment(s)
    Pugsley 29+ NEK Trails Vermont --> worked great for climbing with the 22-36 granny!!

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
  • 08-14-2016
    hamsterspam
    2 Attachment(s)
    havent seen this combo before...

a bluto on a krampus....

Attachment 1088078Attachment 1088079
  • 08-14-2016
    big_papa_nuts
    Any crown clearance issues?
  • 08-14-2016
    Matterhorn
    H-spam is pretty tall but always polite enough to take his crown off before entering buildings. No issues.
  • 08-14-2016
    hamsterspam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Any crown clearance issues?

nope,and those are about as big as 3 inch tires get...but we dont really have mud around here,i could see where it would get gunked up quickly,but i ran it on the ICT with no problems
  • 08-14-2016
    hamsterspam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    H-spam is pretty tall but always polite enough to take his crown off before entering buildings. No issues.

fear my mighty evos peasants!
  • 08-14-2016
    big_papa_nuts
    Sorry, I meant crown/downtube clearance (as the bars are rotated). I think your talking about tire/arch clearance.
  • 08-14-2016
    hamsterspam
    nope,i just went and turned the bars the fork went right under...
  • 08-19-2016
    Marco45
    2 Attachment(s)
    Hey. Just bought a used singlespeed Surly. Just wanted to know which model of Surly it is (and which year). The paint has been redone. And want to know if the price I paid is good ($560)

Seat Tube Length 21,2598
    Top Tube Length 22.8
    Chromoly 4130

Thanks

Attachment 1089004
    Attachment 1089005
  • 08-19-2016
    hamsterspam
    it should be stamped on the bottom bracket what year and model...
  • 08-19-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco45 View Post
    Hey. Just bought a used singlespeed Surly. Just wanted to know which model of Surly it is (and which year). The paint has been redone. And want to know if the price I paid is good ($560)

Seat Tube Length 21,2598
    Top Tube Length 22.8
    Chromoly 4130

Thanks

Attachment 1089004
    Attachment 1089005

Probably a 1 x 1,
    At least from that old school geometry. Great deal, regardless. No idea about the year, doesn't matter much. Since it came with disc brakes, probably not too old.
  • 08-20-2016
    pdxfixed
    Definitely a 1x1, looks like it's had the canti bosses chopped off too.
  • 08-20-2016
    Spinymouse
    9 Attachment(s)
    Today's Cross Check Gravel Ride
    Explored some local gravel roads I had not yet visited.

Stopped by an old brick building housing the local Historical Society. I love the look of old brick.

Attachment 1089189

Some logging going on along the way.

Attachment 1089191

Logs and a view of the road ahead.

Attachment 1089192

Maybe I should have brought my Pugsley instead. Show him what a real fat tire looks like.

Attachment 1089193

Attachment 1089194

Went by some pretty meadows.

Attachment 1089195

And back home in my driveway.

Attachment 1089197

Chain lube.

Attachment 1089198

I love the look of Brooks saddles too.

Attachment 1089199

A great day's ride. :D
  • 08-22-2016
    workmx
    Back from being sandblasted and sprayed to the original colour.

Time to rebuild.

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using Tapatalk
  • 08-22-2016
    workmx

• 08-22-2016
    Afun
  • 08-23-2016
    workmx

• 08-27-2016
    workmx
    Almost done.

• 08-30-2016
    tim_w_sage
    IMG_5086 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    My pugsley
  • 08-30-2016
    dfltroll
    1 Attachment(s)
    CC at High Rock.
    High Rock is one of my favorite places to ride to in the Mt Hood NF. There's a lot of options for getting there and all include climbing. Today I rode my SS up there. I started at Timothy Lake riding the singletrack trail around the lake and then on to a dirt road followed by paved FS road that gradually climbed. The last mile was pretty steep in two spots and I walked a bit. I love this bike. It'll be 10yrs old in Oct. Here's to another 10 yrs. The gearing is 40/18. I'll be 50 on Friday.

Attachment 1091196
  • 09-01-2016
    50voltphantom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    High Rock is one of my favorite places to ride to in the Mt Hood NF. There's a lot of options for getting there and all include climbing. Today I rode my SS up there. I started at Timothy Lake riding the singletrack trail around the lake and then on to a dirt road followed by paved FS road that gradually climbed. The last mile was pretty steep in two spots and I walked a bit. I love this bike. It'll be 10yrs old in Oct. Here's to another 10 yrs. The gearing is 40/18. I'll be 50 on Friday.

Attachment 1091196

I really need to replace my Steamroller with a CC. Your bike is perfect.
  • 09-02-2016
    hamsterspam
    3 Attachment(s)
    got some soma junebug bars and a riddler 700x45c for the straggler...

Attachment 1091775Attachment 1091776Attachment 1091777
  • 09-03-2016
    MTB29erCurt
    2 Attachment(s)
    Eastwood Park and downtown Dayton, Ohio at one of five low dam's of the Great Miami River.
  • 09-03-2016
    Spinymouse
    4 Attachment(s)
    Pugsley Goes Exploring
    The beavers built their dam right up against the snowmobile bridge.
    Attachment 1091984

Pugsley was sad.
    Attachment 1091985

It's a forest now, but there were farms here once. Here's a cellar hole.
    Attachment 1091986

Monuments lost in the wilderness.
    Attachment 1091987

Oh yeah. That bent support for the rack... It's what happens when you get a tree branch caught in your spokes. No damage to the spokes. I've straightened the bent support back out again. Beausage.
  • 09-07-2016
    hamsterspam
    1 Attachment(s)
    took a little monkey dropper spin today...pavement,gravel,singletrack,two-track,and way too much sandy nonsense...

Attachment 1092725
  • 09-07-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    6 Attachment(s)
  • 09-07-2016
    cjbiker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    The beavers built their dam right up against the snowmobile bridge.
    Attachment 1091984

Pugsley was sad.
    Attachment 1091985

It's a forest now, but there were farms here once. Here's a cellar hole.
    Attachment 1091986

Monuments lost in the wilderness.
    Attachment 1091987

Oh yeah. That bent support for the rack... It's what happens when you get a tree branch caught in your spokes. No damage to the spokes. I've straightened the bent support back out again. Beausage.

Nice! That has to be in New England somewhere. Looks like any of the places I ride here in Maine.
  • 09-07-2016
    Spinymouse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Nice! That has to be in New England somewhere. Looks like any of the places I ride here in Maine.

Yes, it is.

New England dry laid field stone construction, like that farmhouse's foundation, is pretty recognizable. The whole area I was riding that day has a dense network of stone walls dating back to 1775-1825. Plenty of old graveyards in the area with birth dates on the few legible headstones in the 1750s and 1760s.

New England lacks the dramatic big-sky vistas of rugged mountains that we get to admire when our Western friends post their pictures. But, there is no lack of interesting things to see and find hidden in the closed-in wooded landscapes of the northeast.
  • 09-08-2016
    baker
    Erock 2014 by Brad Baker, on Flickr
  • 09-14-2016
    hamsterspam
    3 Attachment(s)
    nothing i love more than randomly switching parts around on the surly fleet...
    a little drop bar ogre action...
    half 29er,half 29+....new trp hydraulic brakes...new to me anyway..some junebug bars 32 18/20 drivetrain...

if the gearing proves to be too much for trailer pulling i will convert the straggler to ss and slap the 1x10 back on the ogre...

Attachment 1094377Attachment 1094378Attachment 1094379
  • 09-14-2016
    mdilthey
    Hey Hamsterspam, what's your favorite color? ;)

Loving that bash guard.
  • 09-14-2016
    jamiedyer
    That looks a really nice setup!
    How's it ride?
    Lovin' the colour as well :)

Jamie
  • 09-14-2016
    hamsterspam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Hey Hamsterspam, what's your favorite color? ;)

Loving that bash guard.

well it aint olive drab! lol
    its a race face that i spray painted...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiedyer View Post
    That looks a really nice setup!
    How's it ride?
    Lovin' the colour as well :)

Jamie

the soma junebug bars are really sweet,i did a little tweaking of the bar position and i need to fiddle with the brakes a bit,and then see if i can haul the trailer with this setup but overall it was comfortable and plenty of control,i think it feels more solid in the corners than the jones loop bars...no problems track standing the bike,the fatbnimble up front makes it pretty plush,i think i want to try something like the wtb....crap,i cant remember the model but something with a small close set knob pattern but by coincidence the local QBP rep was at the shop with a new karate monkey so i will probably just get a set of the 2.5 ET's when they come out...
    cant believe i never tried the ogre singlespeed...its basically the family car and i dont need it to go very fast...throw the frame bag on,put the anything cages on,slap a rack on the back and a couple panniers and it would be a heck of a touring rig
  • 09-14-2016
    Matterhorn
    always surprising to see what you come up with. I like this one as well.

which color of monkey did you see?
  • 09-14-2016
    hamsterspam
    purple
  • 09-14-2016
    Matterhorn
    nurple
  • 09-14-2016
    hamsterspam
    pretty nice looking bike...i about freaked out when i saw it...singlespeed 29er...its purple alright....
  • 09-14-2016
    Finfromoz
    anyone know what this is?
    sorry for hijack friends, but i was recently looking for surly frames in the great hope that i could post a build here one day and i stumbled across this?

http://www.hibike.com/surly-ogre-27-...1dd0ad06b7bc69

no pictures but reputable site, but then no word from surly hq about this bike? is it the new karate monkey and they stuffed it? Then why is it not in that weird yellow/orange colour? its posted as a different model to the 2016 ogre.... any thoughts, sorry bout thread redirect.
  • 09-14-2016
    big_papa_nuts
    Those look like QBP part numbers, and they don't match the KM framesets listed on their site.

Seems like if they were redoing everything else the Ogre would naturally get the same touches (Gnot, 27.5+ clearance, non-corrected fork).
  • 09-15-2016
    cassa89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    nothing i love more than randomly switching parts around on the surly fleet...
    a little drop bar ogre action...
    half 29er,half 29+....new trp hydraulic brakes...new to me anyway..some junebug bars 32 18/20 drivetrain...

if the gearing proves to be too much for trailer pulling i will convert the straggler to ss and slap the 1x10 back on the ogre...

How is the reach? Did you swap stems at all moving from the Jones bars to those drops?
  • 09-15-2016
    hamsterspam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    How is the reach? Did you swap stems at all moving from the Jones bars to those drops?

yes on the stem swap,went from a 110 to a 70 and i need to scrootch the seat forward an rch or 2...the trp hylex brake levers have a pretty generous hood and the angle the junebug bars put them at is just perfect...
  • 09-15-2016
    Spinymouse
    4 Attachment(s)
    The Mighty Pugsley
    From Today's Ride

Pugsley on the Rocks:
    Attachment 1094667

HAB. My legs are all scratched up and my shorts got shredded. Did about a mile through this stuff:
    Attachment 1094668

On top of a dam:
    Attachment 1094669

This poor guy must have fallen off the dam. He's about 16 inches across. Don't mess with snapping turtles, not live ones anyway. Cycle of life:
    Attachment 1094670
  • 09-16-2016
    James39
    1 Attachment(s)
    My 2009 Cross Check as of a couple days ago:

Attachment 1094692

Very pleased with it, it rides wonderfully and I love the versatility. In fact, I sold a couple bikes that it made redundant. It's done duty as a full on touring bike, cross/gravel grinder, general road and commuter use, and even has recently been getting a lot of use on some straight up mountain bike trails that no longer feel like a challenge on the full squish. They sure are on a cross bike, though.

Current build is feeling great. Ritchey WCS Carbon fork, American Classic Hurricane wheelset (rear is some random in the pic while I wait for a new freehub body to come in), Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes, Brooks B17 saddle, 3x10 Deore/XT mountain drivetrain (trickle down from converting my MTB to 1x11) and Time Attac Carbon pedals. I keep the stock fork around with a Jandd rack on it, and along with a rear rack and panniers it is a very quick swap over to touring mode.

I think the Brooks is the only thing I paid retail on, everything else including the initial purchase of the bike has been some crazy bike swap or CL deal, trickle down from another bike or scored from a friends parts bin in exchange for some favor. I just love scoring deals....plus it's the only way I can afford any of this stuff.

The plan to finish out the dream build is a Thomson Stem and Seatpost, Microshift Bar End shifters (stock ones only get me 9 of my 10 gears in the back right now), Revelate Tangle frame bag, Salsa Cowbell or Cowchipper bars and TRP RRL Levers.

I've had a lot of bikes come and go, but I plan on hanging on to this one forever.
  • 09-17-2016
    Surly in OZ
    1 Attachment(s)
    Nice CC mate...
    Hi mate thats a nice setup on your CC.

How does the fork ride? I considered getting one for my CC with a recent respray and rebuild. Stayed with the stock fork, would be great to get your thoughts on the carbon option.

I did go carbon with the seat post, a Specialized CG-R post one of the better upgrades on my bike. It combined with a Brooks B17 really smoothed out the rear end, worth a look. Don't have a picture of just the post but you can see it here.

Attachment 1094851

Have two CG-R posts with another B17 for my Troll, its off the bike at the moment as I cannot get the setback I want with the Jones bars.

I have a Thomson post and a Brooks Cambium setup on it. Thomson post is great, easy to setup and a strong clamp that does not slip.

The Cambium is great once you get it right, otherwise it feels rock hard, fiddle around with the placement and it a great all weather ride.

Good riding.
  • 09-17-2016
    workmx
    All done.

• 09-17-2016
    James39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi mate thats a nice setup on your CC.

How does the fork ride? I considered getting one for my CC with a recent respray and rebuild. Stayed with the stock fork, would be great to get your thoughts on the carbon option.

I did go carbon with the seat post, a Specialized CG-R post one of the better upgrades on my bike. It combined with a Brooks B17 really smoothed out the rear end, worth a look. Don't have a picture of just the post but you can see it here.

Attachment 1094851

Have two CG-R posts with another B17 for my Troll, its off the bike at the moment as I cannot get the setback I want with the Jones bars.

I have a Thomson post and a Brooks Cambium setup on it. Thomson post is great, easy to setup and a strong clamp that does not slip.

The Cambium is great once you get it right, otherwise it feels rock hard, fiddle around with the placement and it a great all weather ride.

Good riding.

Thanks man. I really think the carbon fork was a great upgrade. I threw it on at the same time I moved the wheelset over from my cross race bike prior to selling it and between the two the bike feels a whole lot livelier. Feels as though it just wants to go full tilt all the time and the ride quality is top notch. I scored it in a trade, but after riding it I can say that even paying full price for one wouldn't be a mistake. Here's a link to the exact one I have.

Ritchey WCS Carbon fork cross 34-299-878

Thanks for the insight on the seatposts, I had been considering a Thudbuster, but I wasn't totally sold on it, and honestly I think they are pretty ugly. The CG-R looks like a really nice middle ground. I thought I was pretty set on a Thomson, but this is a contender now if I can find a sweet deal on one somewhere.
  • 09-17-2016
    Larry Endomorph
    Quote:

Originally Posted by workmx View Post
    All done.

Nice!
  • 09-18-2016
    ioanniz

Στάλθηκε από το Nexus 5 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
  • 09-18-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote: