Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404647484950515253 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 2619
    mtbr member
    It's hard to beat the ICT, in my opinion. It's my most favorite bike I've ever had, regardless of the weather. I'm still itching to build a 1x1, and will one day. But for now, the ICT rules.

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_0995.jpg
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2016 Surly Ogre

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by volksbike View Post
    Took the Ogre out for a nice ride this AM...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lovely view!!! What mounts are you using for our phone?
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '94 Trek Mountain Track 830
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    '81 Mongoose Supergoose (RIP)

mtbr member
    It's an old iPhone 5 stem mount from LLBean that I use rubber bands to mount my 6 plus not sure of the exact brand, but it works pretty well...

====================
    GBM, Pugley & 9:ZERO:7
    Surly Ogre Rigid 29er - RAGBRAI 2013
    TREK Alum Hardtail 29er - Recon Fork

noob bikepacker
    It's an old iPhone 5 stem mount from LLBean that I use rubber bands to mount my 6 plus not sure of the exact brand, but it works pretty well...

cool. I have not been able to find one yet that just doesn't rattle off the bike. Not that I really use my phone while I ride, but might start to when I get more into long trips
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    It's hard to beat the ICT, in my opinion. It's my most favorite bike I've ever had, regardless of the weather. I'm still itching to build a 1x1, and will one day. But for now, the ICT rules.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	1072487
    and the Black ICT rules with a sinister "Creepy Clown Ice Cream Truck" feel...hell yeah!!
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member

Post pics of your Surly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    cool. I have not been able to find one yet that just doesn't rattle off the bike. Not that I really use my phone while I ride, but might start to when I get more into long trips
    It was an overpriced Topeak. $40ish. But I field tested it during RAGBRAI and it passed. Not sure how it would stand up off road...MTB style
    Last edited by volksbike; 05-29-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    and the Black ICT rules with a sinister "Creepy Clown Ice Cream Truck" feel...hell yeah!!
    im redoing my ICT all black except for a day of the dead rim strip and a sugar skull stem cap and sugar skull valve stem covers...gonna be hella sick.."day of the shred"....i had a hello kitty rim strip on the moonlander...but that seemed a tad creepy on an ice cream truck!

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    im redoing my ICT all black except for a day of the dead rim strip and a sugar skull stem cap and sugar skull valve stem covers...gonna be hella sick.."day of the shred"....i had a hello kitty rim strip on the moonlander...but that seemed a tad creepy on an ice cream truck!
    all of thiS is total PUNK ROCK!! Hell yeah! I am getting a new BMX bike this summer, and it is going to be all black with small red accents like the headset and spoke nipples. Can't wait.
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the ict dressed for gnar murder!!
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03927.jpg

and the straggler down by the river during a jaunt down the levee road
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-dscf1215.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Krampus getting muddy today!!

Post pics of your Surly!!!-memday1.jpg

Post pics of your Surly!!!-memday9.jpg

Post pics of your Surly!!!-memday11.jpg

Post pics of your Surly!!!-memday12.jpg

Post pics of your Surly!!!-memday3.jpg
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Great lookin Wednesday!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Ice Cream Truck on the Glenfiddich Estate, Scotland

Post pics of your Surly!!!-828e41f6-2060-4b37-8f75-e3a7861f515d_zpsqrs4s5ri.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by roverpig View Post
    Ice Cream Truck on the Glenfiddich Estate, Scotland

Name:	828e41f6-2060-4b37-8f75-e3a7861f515d_zpsqrs4s5ri.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	377.5 KB 
ID:	1073695
    wow...just...wow.

At the bike AND the place to ride! I always dream of retiring to Canada...but it might have to be Scotland or Ireland....decisions, decision
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    wow...just...wow.

At the bike AND the place to ride! I always dream of retiring to Canada...but it might have to be Scotland or Ireland....decisions, decision
    Thanks. To be fair, we don't get that many days when the colour of the sky matches the bike so well over here. A darn sight more than Ireland though

Interplanetary Traveler
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_3935.jpg

The Pugs out for some evening pavement.

Interplanetary Traveler
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_3847.jpg

It was close as I rolled thru the State Game Lands a few days ago, this young black rat snake almost felt the full force of those Nates.

mtbr member
    Pugsley after some sticky stuff...

====================

mtbr member

Post pics of your Surly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Cactus View Post

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	1074002

It was close as I rolled thru the State Game Lands a few days ago, this young black rat snake almost felt the full force of those Nates.
    Nice shot!! You both are lucky to survive the encounter...not sure when they are fully armed

====================

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    first of three big climbs today,first of two pass crossings...straggler did awesome on this trip,shrugged off the cattle guards,was a breeze to climb,hit 50.2 mph on the decent! still feel pretty good after 50 miles and 4200 feet of climbing
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-dscf1225.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Nice shot!! You both are lucky to survive the encounter...not sure when they are fully armed

It seems that these snakes are safe and helpfull.
    But surely an impressive encounter !

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HarMi View Post
    rigid 24x4 Instigator
    Attachment 1067006
    What rear rack is that?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What rear rack is that?
    two post below

Post pics of your Surly!!! - Page 98- Mtbr.com
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member

Big Ride on the Big Dummy.

So I got out for a really nice ride on my Big Dummy in the Mt Hood NF. A nice mix of paved and dirt roads, all of which were empty. The sun was out and it was quite hot.

I'm heading out for 5 days of bike camping there at the end of the month. First I was thinking I'd ride my LHT which is fantastic but always feels underbiked on dirt descents. Then I thought about the Krampus but I don't want to go minimalist. I settled on my BD once I realized I could easily get it in and out of my care if I just took off wheels, post, pedals and bags. I can also bring my big tent and a few more comfort items. I'm not looking on doing big mileage, just ramble around, camp and read.

Today was a bit of a test run. I put ETs on the other day and they're pretty awesome. Great in the dirt. I did hit some gravel sections and felt that the pressure was a little too high, making for sketchy handling.

My gear is pretty much sorted out. Just need to pick-up new shoes, will likely go with some Five Ten Aescents or Contacts. Also considering getting the new Dummy bags.

When I first got my BD in 2012 I had intended to use it for camping, being inspired by Devo, Vik and others. Glad I'm finally getting around to it.

Here's my BD at High Rock today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-bdathighrock.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    converted the krampus to singlespeed...
    once i find the right gear i will get a nice cog from absolute bikes and spacer kit...red cog and green spacer kit im thinking...maybe 2,one in lime green and one in a darker green for maximum blinginess...

Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03950.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03952.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    after a quick test ride on the krampus it seems like the 32/20 combo is going to work pretty well for around here....so that solves my singlespeed mountain biking needs...no more getting beaten up by the karate monkey...so now what to do with the trusty and much loved km?
    been digging getting back to some road riding on the straggler,like the way its set up but wanted a similar any road style singlespeed that would handle some slightly friskier conditions than the straggler...i built that to be a road climber,and its great at that,but we have plenty of nice riding thats basically flat too,lots of levee roads and ditch banks...

so....swapped out the stem,put on the surly open bars flipped upside down,an old 44 tooth chainring that fit the crank,a white industries dos enos 20/22 on the back,some ergon grips,and some faux leather bar wrap,and some bontrager 1.9 inch tires...

Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03958.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03959.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03961.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03962.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03963.jpg

noob bikepacker
    ^^^^ you need a sticker to put next to the Fatties Fit Fine one -> Skinnies Welcome Too!!
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    lol,well its pretty fat if you look at it as a road bike,only skinny in the mountain bike sense

mtbr member
    That's a very nice KM build, sir. Nicely done. I'm curious how it feels after a longer ride with the open bars set low like that. I assume it's pretty close to where drops would be normally?
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i will let you know in a few hours,but the initial ride it felt more like jones loop bars...frankly im more concerned about the gearing! 44 teeth seems like a lot of chainring to be pushing around,but once again the initial ride it felt pretty good...and i was able to do this build just from the spare parts bins,i went to the shop to see if i could get a set of cowchippers but getting surly or salsa small parts right now is impossible...
    anyway,hoping this set up works out,i really love my karate monkey,but i just cant take the beating from a rigid 29er,and i kinda want to keep my karate monkey as a rigid singlespeed,the way i bought it initially....and you know,pick up another km frame and build up a hardtail! n+1 baby!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    alright,back from the shakedown cruise,think i gave it a pretty fair run at the sort of conditions it will likely be used for,a little dirt road,a bit more gravel road,a short steep hill and a couple of longer but still fairly short climbs...24 miles,a bit over 900 feet of climbing,so for me within the spectrum of an easy day,but still a ling enough ride that any back or hand/wrist issues would have come up,and i have a crappy shoulder so any issues with the position of the handlebars would have come up....felt really good,didnt take long for me to forget what bike i was on and just cruise along.on the flats it was easy to keep it right about 18mph at a reasonable cadence,i had no trouble climbing it, bar position felt good for that,so aside from adjusting the angle of the ergons and tinkering with the seat position a bit it felt great,rolled really smoothly and quickly on the road with the tires at 45 psi set up tubeless on blunt35's,still had plenty of traction and control,and enough cushion along with the ergons for it to be comfortable....plenty of control too,this build should be able to handle some light,not too climby trail duty just fine,on the road its really nice and sharp handling without being too twitchy...basically its still very much a karate monkey...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    after another day of riding the kafe monkey around on a beer run im thinking i may swap the gearing back to a 32 tooth up front and putting the white industries dos enos 17/19 back on,or perhaps a 34 tooth...right now its sort of natural cadence point with a 44/22 combo is about 16.8mph which is just a touch faster then it was running 32/17 on the road,plus i have much nicer chainrings in 32 teeth,the 44 tooth is pretty thin,and i think the 32 17/19 combo would be fast enough on the road to not be annoying,but be far more trail ready for the few smooth trails in the area....

noob bikepacker
    ^^^ wow...i wish I had enough patience to notice things like this about the way I ride and my bike handles. I just "get on and plow through". Am I missing something or doing it wrong? I guess we all enjoy our bikes in different ways. It is fun and very informative to read these kinds of threads though...I feel like I learn a lot about some of the aspects of biking that others take for granted...even if I may never use the knowledge in application my self...or maybe I use it indirectly...
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    well...i put in 6200+ miles last year and did 280,000 feet of climbing,i dont own a car and ride almost every single day,so at some point the little things really matter...and with 5 bikes i can set them up for specific types of riding and then hone them relentlessly until the bike just disappears beneath me....and then switch it all around again a few months later! its half the fun of owning a surly i think...bolt on some different parts,change tires and its a different bike altogether...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    trying some different gearing.same ratio,different chainring and cogs

34/17 now

Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03984.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03985.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03986.jpg

mtbr member
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_20160611_214434450-1-.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-img_20160607_174047259.jpg

mtbr member
    hamsterspam, how are you liking the bontrager 1.9" tires? My new ogre build will be using the alex adventurer rims that stock on my cross check and I think those tires would fit nicely.
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    they roll pretty nicely pumped up to 45 psi or so on the road,plenty of traction on the gravel and dirt/sand roads i have been down,i dunno if they are up to serious trail use around here due to the generally rocky nature of the local trails but thats not what i did this build for...
    at any rate,its a good tread pattern for around here,and i got them really cheap,have them set up tubeless although they arent tubeless ready...they should work fine with the alex rims,i have the set that came with the ogre...

all that said,i will likely replace them with wtb nano 2.1s at some point,or maybe something like a kenda small block8...gotta see how much use the new setup gets...
    for me i usually need about 200 miles to get everything tweaked just right,if it sticks that long its usually good to go,not causing me any issues,everything working harmoniously...

yeah,its getting tough deciding what type of ride to go on these days...road or trail? geared or singlespeed? what an awful problem to have....

mtbr member
    yeah,its getting tough deciding what type of ride to go on these days...road or trail? geared or singlespeed? what an awful problem to have....
    Great problem to have...love the pictures of your buildZ with all the cacti in the background!!! Keep the info coming, this is better than the Surly blog!!!

Someday my goal is not to have a car....
    ====================

noob bikepacker
    Great problem to have...love the pictures of your buildZ with all the cacti in the background!!! Keep the info coming, this is better than the Surly blog!!!

Someday my goal is not to have a car....
    I have the same problem...and one bike to solve it...my Krampus!!! I am taking it to the skatepark this weekend to see what I can do there with it as well...
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

MaxTheCyclist.com
    well...i put in 6200+ miles last year and did 280,000 feet of climbing,i dont own a car and ride almost every single day,so at some point the little things really matter...and with 5 bikes i can set them up for specific types of riding and then hone them relentlessly until the bike just disappears beneath me....and then switch it all around again a few months later! its half the fun of owning a surly i think...bolt on some different parts,change tires and its a different bike altogether...
    I think this is definitely a hallmark of Surly, and definitely a nice part of becoming truly intimate with your machine. I ride about as much as you do, and I love wrenching.

My Dinglespeed Pugsley, as a fatbike...

And as a 29+ bike...

One frame, many more than one uses. It's a cruiser, an endurance bike, a touring bike, a mountain bike, a snow/sand bike... It does whatever I need it to and I'm free to get lost in the options with the myriad compatible components. Standard head tubes, BB shells, hub sizes, etc. Beautiful!

It's also nice to get completely familiar with a machine. I know my bike like the back of my hand... it's a trusted friend. I can tell you the last time each bearing, bolt, and interface was greased and I know exactly what it's capable of.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i went with the ict as the swiss army bike option,2...and maybe 3 wheelsets,rigid fork or squish...no singlespeed option but seeing that i have 2 other bikes set up singlespeed im not seeing the lack...the krampus makes an awesome singlespeed,the oval chainring really helps with traction control which is pretty crucial around here...i suppose thats true of all mountain biking...

yeah,a bunch of surlys to chose from isnt a bad thing,been getting back into the road miles so the straggler has been lots of fun,and now the karate monkey for mixed surface rides...cool to just be able to swap parts and get psyched about some other micro variation of going and riding your bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    and,number 1002 in my series of surly frame and giant parts bin re-cajiggering and painfully tedious micro-adjustment fine tuning of the resulting build....

it was somewhere beyond time for me to service the bottom bracket,indeed it was in somewhat shocking condition when i got it apart...required a trip to the bike shop as my early attempts at wrenching had stripped the self extractor bolts 10mm portion so i got that taken off and they let me use a stand to swap in the new/old race face bottom bracket that spent some time on the ogre and the zee crank that came with the krampus...and now the original chainring that came with the km...
    yet another of the awesome things about a fleet of surly bikes is everything on the bikes can be swapped back and forth except the ict for wheels and cranks of course,but i could certainly have an ogre with an ict fork and 5 inch tire up front,or slap the bluto and 29+ wheel onto the krampus...
    but i was blathering about the karate monkey,which always rides like a karate monkey no matter what i have done to it,which is a good thing,its a darn fun bike to ride...

anyway,now 33/17 for gearing,looking for that point between frustratingly spinny and feeling like im digging myself out of a giant hole whenever i need to spin the gear up,and i have the 19 tooth option with the dos enos...i highly recommend white industries enos and dos enos,even my well used 20/22 still looks box new...
    and ordered some kenda small block8 tubeless ready tires,the bonts keep going flat on me,didnt like the whole tubeless thing...which it too bad cause they really had a sexy road hum when i was cruising along...

Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03988.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-dsc03989.jpg

Mayor of Waterdog
    Riding the Krampus at Jackson Demonstration State Forest this week. Seems like the Krampus was made for these trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-image.jpg  

“Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.” ~ Hallman

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    Seems like the Krampus was made for these trails
    The Krampus is made for all trails!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    The Krampus is made for all trails!
    that is what I was going to say
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Back Bay Beach, Fire Island National Seashore just east of the new breach.
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b3&oe=57C0DC93

mtbr member

stock fork action.

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_6319.jpg
    Took off the Bluto and installed the stock fork. It's summer, needed to carry all of the water. Probably won't put the Bluto back on.

mtbr member
    Got my new Ogre build today and after a quick ride, I love it!

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_1053.jpg
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    nice! ive learned to love my olive drab ogre...a little...love the bike,just never jibed with the color...