Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,100 of 2619
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-016.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by my2hands View Post
    FrankenSurly:
    Old School Surly with Reynolds 631 tubing and 1 inch headtube. I chopped it and brazed on some S&S couplers, and then had it repowdered a dark yellow. Put Paul Components Mini Motos, Canti Levers, Thumbies (Sram 10 spd) and Tall and Handsome seatpost. Cane Creek 110 headset, VO saddle, Bruce Gordon Rock n Roads, and Soma Stem. I found some used White Industries Racer X hubs on Ebay and laced them to Mavic 319's. Oveja Negra bags. Oh yeah, and old Bear Claw pedals and GT MTB bullhorn bars. First ride reminded me of my pre-Fargo days - fast and nimble, but not as comfortable.

Attachment 973185Attachment 973186Attachment 973187Attachment 973188Attachment 973189Attachment 973190
    This this is the before shot:Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_20150103_213918.jpg
    After: Post pics of your Surly!!!-dsc_0131.jpg

mtbr member

Krampus.

Got out for my second ride on my Krampus. Really enjoyed myself and very happy with it. I had anguished between it and an ECR. I feel like I made the right choice. Looking forward to getting out again soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-image.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Putting my wife crosscheck together. Just had it powder coated. the wheels are h plus son tb14 with 105 hubs. I got them from velomine.com and I was blow away at the price. If your looking for cheap good wheels check it out. Btw I'm not affiliated to them just figured I'd tell everyone haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Tampa

Post pics of your Surly!!!-bikes.jpg

Husband and wife combo, pretty much stock so far, but we love them!

mtbr member
    Wow, very nice husband/wife duo there! How does your wife like it? I've been trying to talk my wife into upgrading her Trek (with a Troll or LHT, her choice) via the Surly super fan coupon, but no luck so far. Maybe this picture will help do the trick!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just finished building up this 18" Ogre from parts I had in my parts bin. The only things I had to buy were cables, bars and SB8 tires....and some screw plugs to go in where the brake bosses were. I plan to pick up some new wheels in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by my2hands View Post
    After: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0131.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	973669

This thing looks ridiculously awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I bought both of these bikes last year, 2014 after i had a "life's too short" moment and just decided to buy them you want them, the price is right blah blah blah.
    I am in Thailand and it took a about a month to find the last Ogre 18 inch frame set in the country. I really wanted the tarnish gray colour but i could only get black. I am not a massive fan of black but it has grown on me.
    For years i have wanted a fat bike and i planned to get a OnOne Fatty rolling chassis(frame set, wheels, tyres, headset kit) next time i go back to the UK. This Pugsley was for sale secondhand in Bangkok. Only done 5km and was upgraded to XT gears and shifters when the guy bought it. I actually had a great ride taking it across Bangkok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-ogre1.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-fatbike1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Eskimos are supposed to have 50 words for snow but they don't have a word for this kind of Snow. 40 tonnes of salt dumped outside a shopping centre in Chiang Mai to create Nimman Snow Land. This was really popular with the locals. There is no snow in Thailand but you can sometimes get frost on the highest mountain tops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-fatbike5.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-fatbike2.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-fatbike6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Ogre hardtail

Post pics of your Surly!!!-image.jpg
    Here's my Ogre build. It has Shimano XT derailleurs, Shimano V-brakes. Special detail: it has an extended Syntace VRO MTB stem to keep the handlebar low. That way I could avoid installing a dropbar and keep max control. I use it for MTB and (windy) gravel rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    All these setups of different Surly makes me want one too, currently looking at a Pugs OPS, but still looking for a site where the difference between the different models is explained, looked at the surly website, but not really good comparison. Somebody has an idea where to look for let's say difference between Puglsey, moonlander, ECR in terms of maximum wheel width?

I life on the coast and beach racing here is very populair. Don't thing the Surly will be very competative, but just for fun it will be a blast!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo81dromic View Post
    All these setups of different Surly makes me want one too, currently looking at a Pugs OPS, but still looking for a site where the difference between the different models is explained, looked at the surly website, but not really good comparison. Somebody has an idea where to look for let's say difference between Puglsey, moonlander, ECR in terms of maximum wheel width?

I life on the coast and beach racing here is very populair. Don't thing the Surly will be very competative, but just for fun it will be a blast!
    Tire Clearance And Your Surly Frame | Blog | Surly Bikes

Post pics of your Surly!!!-7452_sur-tire-spew_vf_forben.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ok thank you, this makes it clear, would like to have the option of having 29" rims with 3" knards in the bike, so the Pugs should be ideal for that....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One more question, are there any guys out there who ride with both 29+ with 3" and the 26" fat 3,8" or up? Can you tell something about the handling when putting the 29+ wheels in? I read somewhere that it handles very different than lets say the Krampus, but in what way? is it more sluggish?

I am coming off a Cannonale Flash

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    4.8" tires are closer in overall diameter to 29+, that'll keep the geometry more... uh.. normal? as normal as all this can get at least.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

LoveChild

She's no prom queen, but this bike rides great and stuffs into a suitcase.
    Running mullet wasn't part of the plan, but I had the fork and needed to get the bars up. This was my latest shakedown ride with nearly everything configured, down to the cable splitters.

Post pics of your Surly!!!-lovechild.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the trusty ogre,freshly "krogred" with a velocity blunt 35 on a surly hub.

Post pics of your Surly!!!-004.jpg

mtbr member
    Another version of my Karate Monkey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-km3-5-10-2015.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-km1-5-10-2015.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-km2-5-10-2015.jpg  

mtbr member
    That KM looks great! What grips are you using on the H-Bar?

mtbr member

Wink Commuter Monkey

I've "finished" a slow process of converting my Karate Monkey into a commuter. This bike handles great and gives me plenty of confidence for my daily commutes. I've changed to an Alfine 8 and Dynamo hub to power lights. The Schwalbe Big Apples and new Jones Loop bar feel just right!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-monkey-jones.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Traveled 2100 miles....

....soaking up the sun on Hermosa Beach while some lovely ladies enjoy digging in the sand...

Post pics of your Surly!!!-lovechild-beach-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Hello Bmike,
    What fork you got on your setup there?
    Thanks,
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Hello Bmike,
    What fork you got on your setup there?
    Thanks,
    It's the Surly Krampus fork that you can get 'aftermarket'. It has the bottle cages and rack mounts. Was ~100$ thru my LBS.

Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    It's the Surly Krampus fork that you can get 'aftermarket'. It has the bottle cages and rack mounts. Was ~100$ thru my LBS.

Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
    It's a bummer those forks aren't available in green. I think they were at one point. I'll likely add one of those forks to my Krampus.

mtbr member
    And Bmike, your Krampus looks great all kitted out for camping. How does it ride loaded? I just picked up a frame bag for mine, still need a saddle bag. And a harness for the front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    just because i could..the Krunkey...
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-001.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-002.jpg

newly outfitted with velocity blunt35 rims,a blackspire chainring and white industries dos enos freewheel.i will probably end up with maxxis ardent 2.4s front and rear but figured it was worth trying it out with the knard up front...
    and now i have a set of wheels that can be easily swapped onto my krampus to run that as a single speed...

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    just because i could..the Krunkey...
    I think I'm going to do this too. I think the + front will be a great setup for rigid bikepacking, plus a friend of mine has a brand new P35 I can get for free. Even considered doing a 29+ front, B+ rear to slacken it out. Might be an interesting experiment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    And Bmike, your Krampus looks great all kitted out for camping. How does it ride loaded? I just picked up a frame bag for mine, still need a saddle bag. And a harness for the front.
    Rides great! Love it loaded and unloaded.

(Edited for capitalization)
    Last edited by bmike; 05-15-2015 at 03:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bmike,
    Your Krampus looks great!
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I think I'm going to do this too. I think the + front will be a great setup for rigid bikepacking, plus a friend of mine has a brand new P35 I can get for free. Even considered doing a 29+ front, B+ rear to slacken it out. Might be an interesting experiment.
    i wasnt going to try this since i already have a krampus and for that matter i put a p35 on my ogre so i have a kroger too but i gotta say it felt pretty sweet yesterday on a short ride on the trails,im only 20 seconds off the local strava leader board after yesterday...not bad for a 50 yr old with 18 months of mountain biking experience against people on 8000 dollar carbon race bikes...
    i think i would still give the edge to the krampus for a bikepacking rig given that i have one...and a moonlander...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hamsterspam--
    Now I have to steal two of your bikes.

Making it hard to get by with only my ECR. Can't wait get some Krampus/Moonie laps in next month in the Zuni Mnts. What gearing do you have on the KM? Maybe a 4 Surly Lapstravaganza is in order.

Riding out for a short overnighter again tomorrow evening around 8pm. Estus knows the plan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    what,you're going to make me admit on a public forum i have hello kitty gears on my monkey? lol
    its a 32 up front and a white industries dos enos 20/22 on the back,i have a 33 and 34 ring for the front and a 17 and 19 for the rear if need be...that dinner plate 42 tooth expander on the krampus ruined me! i barely managed to drag myself up the three arroyos climb today on the monkey...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    oh yeah,im on call tomorrow night....and im old and go to bed by 10pm....

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nothing wrong with 32X20 around here. I ran that combo a bunch and liked it.
    How is the KM with Knard up front? Knard on Blunt 35 vs Rabbit Hole? Share your knowledge as you learn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i gotta say so far having the knard up front is pretty sweet,i still need to take it downhill through some of the trail sections ripe with chunder bunnies to see how it deals with the chatter but my initial impression is it still handles like a karate monkey,still has that same lively feel,and in spite of the big tire up front i still felt more like bunny hopping rocks rather than just plow through like on the krampus but it still has that same sort of ability to roll over ****...
    more testing is in order for sure...

right now the knard is set up with a tube since i want to try the ardent 2.4 as well,but running at 15 psi up front for the road portions of the ride it was plenty smooth,the center ridge of the tread stands up taller than i remember on the rabbit holes but there was no auto steer or sensation of "fall off" as i leaned into corners,still plenty of cushion on the washboard,does great in sand and gravel,even better at 9 psi for the trails,the profile is a bit rounder but it still rolls quickly.just 2 rides and its got me wondering if i really need a front shock for it...i love the karate monkey but whenever i have run gears on it and the speeds picked up i was just getting hammered,didnt really feel that yesterday...but like i said,i was going up through the rougher stuff,different to go down the same bit of trail...plus with the rain the trails have been super buff,need to test it when its back to ball bearing kitty litter over sun baked ceramic...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ECR loaded up for another overnighter. Second trip in May with another coming next weekend. Not bad for a fat, old, mini-van driving dad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-ecrloaded.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    watch out for that low ass bottom bracket!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Tried to have a good time on the ECR but broke most of my toes and both pedals due to the low bb. Came home and found a note from the wife that read, "I'm leaving you. Your bb is too low. Don't try and find me I'm riding rocky singletrack".

Comfort and stability are for wifeless suckers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Jones Loop Bar for the Troll...

Hi everyone hear is a photo for my shakedown ride trying out my Troll with my new Jones Loop bar. Was a beautiful day to be out.

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_2301.jpg

There are a few more photos in the Troll thread of the set up if you are interested.

Cheers.

mtbr member

krampus

love this bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_20150509_164839236.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015

Surly Ogre Custom Made

My Surly Ogre
    Set up
    Surly Ogre Blactacular 20' Large frameset with Paragon Machine SS frame splitter
    Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 36H
    Dynamo SP PD-7 disc hub 36H
    Mavic TM 719 Disc rims 36H
    Geax Mezcal 29x2.1 tyres with Panaracer Flataway anti flat tape
    Tange Seiki Techno Glide Stainless Steel bearings
    XT Crankset XT FC-M785
    Trailbright XT Stainless Steel Hollow Tech II Bottom Bracket
    Carbon Belt Drive CDX 42/19 - 113teeth
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    Thomson ALU Downhill Handlebar 31.8
    Thomson Stem Elite X4 1-1/4 (31.8)
    Brooks B17 Narrow Imperial Honey Brown Saddle
    Leather Ergo Grips (China)
    Tubus Logo Titan Rear Rack
    Titanium Front S-Rack (China)
    Shimano SLX BR-M675 Disc Brake
    Bontranger Node 2.1 cycling computer
    RAM mount 1' BALL
    Pitlock - locking system
    Bidi.pl dynamo LED XM-L2 light front/rear system with standlight (own production)
    SKS Bluemels B65 mudguards
    Sapim spokes
    Specialized 2Bolt (9899-3002) City Bike Kickstand

Tested in Taiwan Tour 2014

Best regards from Marek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-surly-ogre-01.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-surly-ogre-02.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-surly-ogre-03.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Decided to do a group picture of my 3 Surlys since I rode all three today. Started with 50 miles on the Cross Check this morning, then an afternoon family ride on the Troll pulling our two kids in a Burley trailer, then after dinner I took the Krampus out for a lap around the park with my daughter on her Strider. Great day of riding on three awesome bikes.
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-all-3.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    What tire do you have in the rear? How's the clearance?

mtbr member
    The Karate Monkey carried me on 300 miles of the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Towpath.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_1381.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_1384.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_1436.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_1585.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_1584.jpg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_1594.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My trusty 1x1

Still going, but the green looks better with some mud.Post pics of your Surly!!!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffpoulin View Post
    What tire do you have in the rear? How's the clearance?
    2.4 ardent on the rabbit hole, enough clearance to be comfortable with 1/2 way back in the dropouts.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    2.4 ardent on the rabbit hole, enough clearance to be comfortable with 1/2 way back in the dropouts.
    Cool, thanks!