Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    A surge?

A rash?

An infestation?

A comeuppance?
    This was discussed at length last night post ride. We've determined two things.

1. It's then called "A Surly Bunch".

2. If you put too many miles down, riding on a new saddle, and you're on a Karate Monkey (of either size) it's called "Butt-Hurt Monkey".

Anyone have issue w/ these decisions by some Surly OG's?

Yes, someone did opine we could also be referred to as a Pack (or Case) of Surly.

mtbr member

beaching it.

Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_9073.jpg

Loaded up a chair and some beer to sit and watch swallows eat bugs on the local river. Dummy is awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    nice! im thinking a little bbq would be pretty sweet!

mtbr member

More trail time on the Ogre.

So I went to Sisters in Central Oregon and camped out for a night. I rode the trails at Petersen Ridge both days. They're not quite as extensive or challenging as Phil's in Bend but they're a lot less crowded and quite enjoyable. The Ogre continues to be a quite capable trail rambler. I was rolling the ETs and while they're not ideal for those trails, they weren't horrible. I need to get some 2.4 tires, any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-sis1.jpeg  

Post pics of your Surly!!!-sis2.jpeg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    So I went to Sisters in Central Oregon and camped out for a night. I rode the trails at Petersen Ridge both days. They're not quite as extensive or challenging as Phil's in Bend but they're a lot less crowded and quite enjoyable. The Ogre continues to be a quite capable trail rambler. I was rolling the ETs and while they're not ideal for those trails, they weren't horrible. I need to get some 2.4 tires, any suggestions?
    If you're riding fast, hardpack trails, I like Ikon's in 29x2.35". If sloppy, Ardent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Got these made by Gil from retro decals on the Facebooks. The Struggle-Bus is real.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-alasrullavuorta.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Realized the rack looked completely stupid when I brought it home from the bike shop. So I decided to grab a tubing cutter and went to town, here is the modded rack. Local welding shop Tig'd it for 25 clams and I just grabbed some satin black and repainted it. Threw on the bags for a quick photo, the small panniers will go out front and have a set of larger on the way for the rear end. I know I have posted the pic earlier, but thought i would just post the updated images. Its my Pugsley Ops named "The Kitchen Sink" The front rack is now a bit wider and can hold my sleeping bag perfectly. Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_0731.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-img_0729.jpgPost pics of your Surly!!!-img_0728.jpg

Here is how it came from the bike shop, did not have time to ask them why they threw it on there but all fixed up now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_0609.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    New tires day!!!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

parts swap

I keep changing things up with the cross check. I think I am finally where I want it to be, at least until I finally add some gears.
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_9308.jpg
    Post pics of your Surly!!!-img_9309.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    I keep changing things up with the cross check. I think I am finally where I want it to be, at least until...
    I'm resigned to never being where I want to be with my CC. I change it up (SS, gears, flat bars, drops, etc) and then a few months later get the itch to try some slightly new set-up or go back to a former set-up. It's pleasantly exhausting. Mine is currently 1x9 with Cowbells but I'm considering multiple possible changes:
    1}Return to flat bar with 1x9 drivetrain
    2}Return to Nitto Noodles and go to DT shifters and 2x9 drivetrain. And fenders
    3)Leave it alone and ride it as is more.

Most likely i'll go for option 1 as it's a pretty easy swap.

When I returned to drops my plan was to use it as my "go fast" bike but I'm just not riding like that. I just don't feel like dealing with bibs and SPDs. When I have been feeling like doing a more vigorous ride I've been opting to run instead. Run? I know, WTF is wrong with me?

I digress. Your bike looks awesome. Enjoy it.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I'm resigned to never being where I want to be with my CC. I change it up (SS, gears, flat bars, drops, etc) and then a few months later get the itch to try some slightly new set-up or go back to a former set-up. It's pleasantly exhausting. Mine is currently 1x9 with Cowbells but I'm considering multiple possible changes:
    1}Return to flat bar with 1x9 drivetrain
    2}Return to Nitto Noodles and go to DT shifters and 2x9 drivetrain. And fenders
    3)Leave it alone and ride it as is more.

Most likely i'll go for option 1 as it's a pretty easy swap.

When I returned to drops my plan was to use it as my "go fast" bike but I'm just not riding like that. I just don't feel like dealing with bibs and SPDs. When I have been feeling like doing a more vigorous ride I've been opting to run instead. Run? I know, WTF is wrong with me?

I digress. Your bike looks awesome. Enjoy it.
    I think that is whats awesome about the cross check, it has too many options! Right now for me it's this bike or the dummy, so every ride on it feels fast.

I am with you too on the running, been doing a lot more of that lately. Trail running is pretty awesome.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Members who have read this thread: 222