• 06-21-2017
    Obi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    A surge?

    A rash?

    An infestation?

    A comeuppance?

    This was discussed at length last night post ride. We've determined two things.

    1. It's then called "A Surly Bunch".

    2. If you put too many miles down, riding on a new saddle, and you're on a Karate Monkey (of either size) it's called "Butt-Hurt Monkey".

    Anyone have issue w/ these decisions by some Surly OG's?

    Yes, someone did opine we could also be referred to as a Pack (or Case) of Surly.
  • 06-24-2017
    backcountryeti
    1 Attachment(s)
    beaching it.
    Attachment 1143417

    Loaded up a chair and some beer to sit and watch swallows eat bugs on the local river. Dummy is awesome.
  • 06-24-2017
    hamsterspam
    nice! im thinking a little bbq would be pretty sweet!
  • 06-28-2017
    dfltroll
    2 Attachment(s)
    More trail time on the Ogre.
    So I went to Sisters in Central Oregon and camped out for a night. I rode the trails at Petersen Ridge both days. They're not quite as extensive or challenging as Phil's in Bend but they're a lot less crowded and quite enjoyable. The Ogre continues to be a quite capable trail rambler. I was rolling the ETs and while they're not ideal for those trails, they weren't horrible. I need to get some 2.4 tires, any suggestions?
  • 06-29-2017
    2:01
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    So I went to Sisters in Central Oregon and camped out for a night. I rode the trails at Petersen Ridge both days. They're not quite as extensive or challenging as Phil's in Bend but they're a lot less crowded and quite enjoyable. The Ogre continues to be a quite capable trail rambler. I was rolling the ETs and while they're not ideal for those trails, they weren't horrible. I need to get some 2.4 tires, any suggestions?

    If you're riding fast, hardpack trails, I like Ikon's in 29x2.35". If sloppy, Ardent.
  • 07-08-2017
    Vto2.0
    Got these made by Gil from retro decals on the Facebooks. The Struggle-Bus is real.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
  • 07-09-2017
    HarMi
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 07-09-2017
    Diogee6667
    4 Attachment(s)
    Realized the rack looked completely stupid when I brought it home from the bike shop. So I decided to grab a tubing cutter and went to town, here is the modded rack. Local welding shop Tig'd it for 25 clams and I just grabbed some satin black and repainted it. Threw on the bags for a quick photo, the small panniers will go out front and have a set of larger on the way for the rear end. I know I have posted the pic earlier, but thought i would just post the updated images. Its my Pugsley Ops named "The Kitchen Sink" The front rack is now a bit wider and can hold my sleeping bag perfectly. Attachment 1145719Attachment 1145720Attachment 1145721

    Here is how it came from the bike shop, did not have time to ask them why they threw it on there but all fixed up now.
  • 07-11-2017
    Vto2.0
    New tires day!!!

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
  • 07-21-2017
    backcountryeti
    2 Attachment(s)
    parts swap
    I keep changing things up with the cross check. I think I am finally where I want it to be, at least until I finally add some gears.
    Attachment 1147609
    Attachment 1147610
  • 07-21-2017
    dfltroll
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    I keep changing things up with the cross check. I think I am finally where I want it to be, at least until...

    I'm resigned to never being where I want to be with my CC. I change it up (SS, gears, flat bars, drops, etc) and then a few months later get the itch to try some slightly new set-up or go back to a former set-up. It's pleasantly exhausting. Mine is currently 1x9 with Cowbells but I'm considering multiple possible changes:
    1}Return to flat bar with 1x9 drivetrain
    2}Return to Nitto Noodles and go to DT shifters and 2x9 drivetrain. And fenders
    3)Leave it alone and ride it as is more.

    Most likely i'll go for option 1 as it's a pretty easy swap.

    When I returned to drops my plan was to use it as my "go fast" bike but I'm just not riding like that. I just don't feel like dealing with bibs and SPDs. When I have been feeling like doing a more vigorous ride I've been opting to run instead. Run? I know, WTF is wrong with me?

    I digress. Your bike looks awesome. Enjoy it.
  • 07-21-2017
    backcountryeti
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I'm resigned to never being where I want to be with my CC. I change it up (SS, gears, flat bars, drops, etc) and then a few months later get the itch to try some slightly new set-up or go back to a former set-up. It's pleasantly exhausting. Mine is currently 1x9 with Cowbells but I'm considering multiple possible changes:
    1}Return to flat bar with 1x9 drivetrain
    2}Return to Nitto Noodles and go to DT shifters and 2x9 drivetrain. And fenders
    3)Leave it alone and ride it as is more.

    Most likely i'll go for option 1 as it's a pretty easy swap.

    When I returned to drops my plan was to use it as my "go fast" bike but I'm just not riding like that. I just don't feel like dealing with bibs and SPDs. When I have been feeling like doing a more vigorous ride I've been opting to run instead. Run? I know, WTF is wrong with me?

    I digress. Your bike looks awesome. Enjoy it.

    I think that is whats awesome about the cross check, it has too many options! Right now for me it's this bike or the dummy, so every ride on it feels fast.

    I am with you too on the running, been doing a lot more of that lately. Trail running is pretty awesome.
  • 07-23-2017
    Feendog
    1 Attachment(s)
    Gearing up my KM for Bikepacking
  • 07-24-2017
    kcdude
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 08-05-2017
    BojanMikic



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 08-05-2017
    Ol' Bromy
    Purdy ^^^
  • 08-06-2017
    lond
    1 Attachment(s)
    The Krampus with float 34
  • 08-08-2017
    Feendog
    That looks awesome! Got any more pics?
  • 08-14-2017
    jeffchen2403
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1152162

    pretty much stock cept for the brooks flyer
  • 08-17-2017
    hamsterspam
    3 Attachment(s)
  • 09-11-2017
    skoryd

    My brand new Karate Monkey


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-11-2017
    volksbike


    Work in Progress!!!!!!
    26er 60cm LHT

    I am going to ride it 18 miles !!
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji51][emoji51][emoji23]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-11-2017
    IA-ecr
    2 Attachment(s)
  • 09-16-2017
    hamsterspam
    2 Attachment(s)
  • 09-17-2017
    Surly in OZ
    Hi Volks, nice trucker something very "Jeep" about it I'am sure it will look after you!

    OZ.
  • 09-17-2017
    Surly in OZ
    Hi IA, nice ECR and some great looking roads to roll around on by the look of it too.

    Also looks like you know your way around cameras too. You will have to post up some ride reports.

    OZ.
  • 09-17-2017
    Surly in OZ
    Hi Hamster, great pic's as always.

    Is that a Fabric saddle? If so how do you find it?

    I have a few Fabric's on some of my bikes and I love them, one thing though is they seem to squeak and creak a little. Do you find that?

    OZ.
  • 09-17-2017
    hamsterspam
    it is a fabric saddle,i like them,i have 3 so half the bikes...they need to be on there tight,doesnt hurt to dab a little grease on the rails where the seatclamp grabs them...
  • 09-17-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IA-ecr View Post

    I am jealous!!! I almost got one of these when I got my Krampus...still might be one in my future after my wedding!
  • 09-17-2017
    Surly in OZ
    Thanks Hamspter thats on my to do list.

    OZ.
  • 09-19-2017
    volksbike
    Post pics of your Surly!!!
    Thanks Jeff at Milford Bicycle for the finishing touches on the old school 3x 26er LHT Canti !!!



    50mm phat drops & Nice Rack!!![emoji23][emoji23]



    Ready to roll 18 miles...[emoji16]








    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-19-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by volksbike View Post
    Thanks Jeff at Milford Bicycle for the finishing touches on the old school 3x 26er LHT Canti !!!



    50mm phat drops & Nice Rack!!![emoji23][emoji23]



    Ready to roll 18 miles...[emoji16]







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    There is so much Hell yeah about this bike!!!
  • 09-19-2017
    volksbike
    Post pics of your Surly!!!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    There is so much Hell yeah about this bike!!!

    Thanks man! It rides nice - I just took it 9 miles on a shakedown cruise. The wheels, tires, Canti's, Suzie hubs and drive train are early eighties from an original Rock Hopper with a broken seat post stuck 6 inches way down in the seat tube.
    Lol, my buddies first MTB was an organ donor for the LHT!! [emoji1]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-20-2017
    volksbike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Volks, nice trucker something very "Jeep" about it I'am sure it will look after you!

    OZ.

    Thanks Oz


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-20-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by volksbike View Post
    Thanks man! It rides nice - I just took it 9 miles on a shakedown cruise. The wheels, tires, Canti's, Suzie hubs and drive train are early eighties from an original Rock Hopper with a broken seat post stuck 6 inches way down in the seat tube.
    Lol, my buddies first MTB was an organ donor for the LHT!! [emoji1]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    The tires are from the 80's? Holy crap. How did they not dry rot, or crack?
  • 09-21-2017
    volksbike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    The tires are from the 80's? Holy crap. How did they not dry rot, or crack?

    Time capsule I guess. Pretty close to original tubes as well with patches and all. Might need to carry a spare [emoji23]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-22-2017
    volksbike
    Post pics of your Surly!!!
    Finally got her all dialed in at 3pm today !! Maiden voyage will be the NH Seacoast Century tomorrow!! Whew!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-22-2017
    Surly in OZ
    1 Attachment(s)
    New Monkey...
    Hi everyone a photo of my new Monkey.

    Attachment 1159080

    OZ.
  • 09-22-2017
    volksbike
    Post pics of your Surly!!!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi everyone a photo of my new Monkey.

    Attachment 1159080

    OZ.

    OZ- Very nice!! Love the barZ!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-23-2017
    Surly in OZ
    Thanks Volks, left them hi with the intention of trimming down but after the first ride today thats not going to happen. Jeff Jones might be on to something with the whole hi bar setup.

    I rode down stuff today that I have never ridden on my F/S bike, crazy.

    OZ.
  • 09-24-2017
    volksbike
    Post pics of your Surly!!!
    NH Seacoast Century 103 miles in Surly LHT in "BiG" ring - 46 tooth all the way baby. Bike works flawlessly![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-02-2017
    Surly in OZ
    Hi Volks, nice ride never made a 100 miler, 128 kilometres had me happy to step of the bike.

    OZ.
  • 10-02-2017
    Surly in OZ
    1 Attachment(s)
    Monkey...
    Hi everyone, Monkeys Uncle ;)

    Attachment 1160638

    OZ.
  • 10-02-2017
    hamsterspam
    i dont think you can fit that in your frame bag!
  • 10-02-2017
    Surly in OZ
    Maybe If I take it piece by piece he won"t notice, Land Rovers tend to drop parts :)

    OZ.
  • 10-02-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi everyone, Monkeys Uncle ;)

    Attachment 1160638

    OZ.

    That is sooo bad ass!! I need to hit the lottery!
  • 10-02-2017
    Surly in OZ
    Hi BMXer The guy that owns this seems to have about six Land Rovers in his yard, thats why this one is one the street. SO yes a lottery win would come in handy :)

    OZ.
  • 10-06-2017
    Vto2.0
    Had to share it here, because........ STRAGGLER

    Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
  • 10-30-2017
    Saddle Up
    The Pizza Bike

    Surly Troll
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr
  • 11-02-2017
    volksbike



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 11-06-2017
    HarMi
  • 11-06-2017
    bachman1961
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    That is sooo bad ass!! I need to hit the lottery!

    Could almost kick myself for not getting one when they were easily sourced, early to mid or even late 1990's maybe. Always liked that ivory color- limestone. Guessing $29 to $34k at the time, an expensive Jeep.

    See funny video-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRLFqa1y1Qo

    I drove a Discovery for a few days (more family seating and gizmos) but it felt sluggish and too high-centered / top heavy. Decided to scale back on vehicle budget and put up a house.
  • 11-06-2017
    hamsterspam
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 11-06-2017
    dfltroll
    Hams, that looks awesome. More importantly, I imagine it rides well. Are your running the ETs tubeless?
  • 11-06-2017
    hamsterspam
    1 Attachment(s)
    yup,tubeless on blunt 35's....it rides pretty awesome,did 70 miles yesterday,the gearing is in the more relaxed mode for what is essentially a road ss...spent a lot of time chopping pedal trying to keep up with matterhorn on a cc with 42/19 gearing on a 32/17...

    Attachment 1166024
  • 11-07-2017
    dfltroll
    Next year I'll be building up tubeless wheelset for the Ogre next year around WTB rims and dyno hub.
  • 11-07-2017
    hamsterspam
    the et tires are pretty sweet,i dont think even the goat heads have managed to get through them,a tough tire,not a lightweight one for sure but the roll fast and are certainly plush...and they hold a tubeless set up well,a little weeping from the sidewalls,but not much...

    im really liking the wtb kom rims on the straggler,i expect the scrapers are just as good a rim...