mtbr member
    May 2014

Possibly Cross Check buy from Pawn Shop -- Need advice!

Hi All,

I'm new to road bikes but have mountain biked and was looking to get into road biking to do it with a friend. After doing some research I liked the versatility of the Cross Check better for doing commuting, trails and roads. I'm leaving this thread b/c I'm seriously considering the bike and not sure what to do.

I saw the ad online, called, and found out was from a local pawn shop. I went in and he did not know the year but said it was newer and the black paint did look nice and there were mid-leg eyelets for front racks. Assuming over '10.

The size sticker was peeled off so he had a bike shop evaluate it as 56cm. It was the non - SS geared. Had more than one cog.

So I rode it and noticed in some gears the chain was slipping and looked down and noticed the crankset (the large metal thing the crankarm is attached to) was slightly bent and not totally straight.

He was asking 750.00 for it.

Questions are -- Is this a good deal... Should I dicker? He was not forthright in condition of crankset in add. Considering the crankset would need to be replaced.. not sure if labor and part would offset the 'good' deal.

How much would you ask? Should I wait and get a new one?

Also regarding size, I'm 5 11" 32-33 inseam. The stretch to the hoops and to the brakes was a little longish. There is one shop who has the only cross check in a 54cm in the whole valley.

Would I be better off in a 54cm or can I adjust the 56 to better suit the less crouched down feel. Reading.. the 56 sounds more my fit.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That sounds like a lot of money for a bike you need to sink more money in to right away. I'd offer $500. The pawn shop probably paid the poor soul that had to sell/pawn it much less than that. 56cm sounds like the right size for your height, CCs have a long top tube and short head tube so it might feel like a bit of a reach. You would have to spend more money on a stem and perhaps handlebar to make it fit you correctly.

A new Crosscheck sells for $1250, I won't pay more than 60% of the original price for a used bike and it needs to be ready to ride. Up till Feb. I worked in a bike shop for 6 years and we had a simple formula. If it was last years model it would be 20% off, 2 model years old 30% off, used in perfect condition 40% off of original retail, if it needed anything, cables housing etc 50% off of original retail.

The only person that comes out ahead when dealing with pawn shops is the shop owner in my experience, everyone else, seller and buyer gets screwed. The pawn shop probably paid $300ish, it's the nature of their business. There has to be a better deal out there than that, ebay, craig's list perhaps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would keep looking $750 sounds like too much for an obviously abused Cross Check, plus if the fit wasn't right that's even more money you have to throw at it to make it fit... I wouldn't even dicker on that bike because to bend a crankset spider some big forces were involved so you don't know if the frame is even straight. That's just me though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    get the 54 for sure, im the same height and inseam and am very stretched out on the 56 straggler i rode the other day, i opted to order the 54 after riding a cross check in that size and it was perfect.
    also, i paid 700 for my almost new beef gravy brown cross check last year(its getting turned into a fixed gear now) so it sounds like hes asking way too much money, especially for a bike that is going to need some work to make right again.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Possibly Cross Check buy from Pawn Shop -- Need advice!

I would avoid a pawn shop just based on principle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    I would avoid a pawn shop just based on principle.
    This. Almost criminal what they get away with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Be careful you don't burn your thigh on the top tube. That bike is almost assuredly hot.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cranksets don't bend easily. It would have taken a major force to do that, so I would be concerned about the structural integrity of the frame.

Bottom line, I'd look elsewhere.