mtbr member
    May 2008

is it possible...?

To do a straight swap from drop bars to a flat?

Of course new brakes/gear arrangements aside... I'm referring to the geometry? Or will such a swap be too tricky without going to extreme stem lengths etc

mtbr member
    Yes.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. What bike? How does it fit now? What stem/bar combo do you have? Where do you ride? Etc, etc, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, but... It depends on how much reach you want. Or to put it another way, where you want your hand placement. All other things being equal, putting flat bars on a bike that's setup for dropbars will generally decrease your reach and give you a more upright riding position. If that's what you're going for, then cool. If you are looking to replicate the main hand position you have on the dropbars (probably the hoods), then you probably will have a harder time unless the stem on your dropbars is really short. But you'll just need to measure it out to figure out how long of a stem you'll need to get your hand position where you want it. Be sure to factor in the sweep and/or rise of the flatbars you want to run.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    If your drop bar bike fit you properly you'll need a longer stem to make a flat bar work and you will probably need new brakes/shifters.

I would buy different sized frames if I was thinking drops vs. flat bar when buying a bike.

As others have noted if your drop bar bike is too big for you going to a flat bar might eat up some of that extra TT.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    i've gone back and forth from drops to more upright bars (surly open bar) a few times. as people pointed out already, you'd need a significantly longer stem to switch to a flat bar and still get the same position. Some people switch to flat bars (or upright bars with some sweep) in order to get a more upright riding position, so losing some top tube length might actually be desirable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I replaced dropbars on my LHT w/ a north road bar, moved me back and up, seems to work great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I went from drops to a flat bar on my Casseroll SS and up to a 110 stem from a 90 and it is all I want to ride now. Very much considering go with a flat bar on my Vaya.
    Good luck.