mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pimp my Cross Check...

I'm about to spend the tax refund on a new Surly Cross Check.

I'm planning on using this bike for both commuting and as a recreational/fitness roadie. I've never owned a road bike before. And I may even add a BOB trailer at some point for some light touring.

I'd like to spend a little extra money on upgrades to lighten the bike up a bit, especially for the road riding. I've been told index shifters and lighter wheels are a good place to start.

Anyone have suggestions for reasonably-priced wheel upgrades, and any other upgrades, that I might consider? And how about decent road/commuter tires?

Thanks for your considered insight.

Self-defeatist
    If you're not going to build scratch wheels, why not a set of Neuvations? Maybe with Panaracer Ribmos?

I like the idea of Rivendell's Silver Shifters, too. Maybe buy a couple of pencils from them if you have a dollar left over. If I sound too helpful it's because I've been thinking about a CrossxCheck lately, too.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The stock shifters are fine, quite nice and light actually. The stock wheels are a bit heavy, but they are also pretty damn tough and will handle commuting/city riding just fine. I'd throw some fatter tires on them to use for general mischief, then get a spare lightweight wheelset for road riding.

I personally just switch tires. I'll upgrade when the stock wheelset dies. I have some Gatorskin 700x25 slicks for road use and Schwalbe Marathan Cross 700x38 knobbies for everything else.

You won't need a BOB trailer either, since the CC can handle front and rear racks just fine.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net