mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Pacer for racing CycloCross?

Does anyone use a Pacer for CX? I had a CrossCheck a while back and raced it. It was stolen and I couldn't replace it till now. But now I'm thinking of using a Pacer. 32s are fat enough and caliper brakes are good enough for SoCal. I don't need the horizontal rear dropouts or braze ons for racks. The Pacer is real clean looking front to back, and I like the horizontal TT. So,,,Anybody use their Pacer to race CX?
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Do it! Sounds justified to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'd just be concerned about tire clearance. Not so much the width, just the possibility of the tops of the tires hitting the fork crown and seatstay brace. I used to have an old steel trek 760 I used as a commuter. Had plenty of width for cross tires, but they'd rub the aforementioned places. Brake clearance may be another issue, but long-reach road calipers might do it...

Self-defeatist
    There's a Pacer with 35c tires on it over on the Pacer thread.

I say do it. I've ridden side pulls in mud and gravel and rain with few problems. Braking isn't stong, but it's strong enough.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Why not a CC? I think the tubing is the same just the brakes and the geo differ. The CC is better suited to cyclocross. I have a CC and have lusted after a pacer (I think caliper brakes are simpler/cleaner) but I decided the CC was hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Yeah, given that you are looking at a new frame, I would probably go with the Cross Check. The tubing is the same, and you can run fatter tires, better brakes, and even fenders if you want. I would just worry that you may find the Pacer somewhat limiting in the long run.

But maybe not. It is just a bike after all: buy what you lust after and justify it later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ugly_gramps
    Why not a CC? I think the tubing is the same just the brakes and the geo differ. The CC is better suited to cyclocross. I have a CC and have lusted after a pacer (I think caliper brakes are simpler/cleaner) but I decided the CC was hard to beat.
    I had a CC before. (It was stolen.) For me, the inbetween spacing was annoying. I don't have any mountain bikes anymore. I don't intend to go single speed with this bike or put racks on it. With the Pacer, I can get a taller bike with a level top tube. A size 58 pacer will put me in almost the same place as a 56 CC. But I did like that CC and the Blue one is very nice looking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i had a tuxedo blue pacer and I fit 32 michelin cross tires on it. It's what got me into cross and it was also my road bike. Wish I had never sold it. Go for it.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I can relate to this thread because I have been considering a cross check to replace my current alum. cross frameset for a while, but I really prefer road geometry...which leads to considering the pacer. Road geo + 32's on or off road sounds like fun. Cross geometry is a bit sluggish when you're used to a pure road bike (which I used to ride). My cross bike however does trail duty sometimes, so it's hard to beat the versatility. Only issue for me is muddy cross races might be a bit much for the pacer, but that's only in the fall...Something to think about for sure!

Dr. Frost
    I'd just like to add vertical drops on the cross bike are pretty nice for the fast change if you need to, plus they never slip even with lightweight quick releases.

I just got a pacer....will have to see what kind of clearance there is for the little knobbies