mtbr member
    Jun 2008

opinions on all rounder tires for my CC

Hello all, I realize this isn't necessarily a surly specific question but it is in regards to tires for my Cross Check and I wanted input from like minded folks. I am looking to go for a more all surface friendly tire in the 700x40-700x45 range for my cross check and am debating between the Schwalbe HS420 and the Continental Tour Ride. I am interested in input from those experienced with either or both or something similar(open to other suggestions). 95 percent of the time my CC is ridden on asphalt, but i also enjoy slowly picking my way through singletrack from time to time,even though I also have a proper MTB, and am looking into getting some gravel miles in this year as well.Thanks for any and all input.
    -Luke-

mtbr member
    I don't have any first hand experience, but I've heard the Bruce Gordan Rock 'n Roads are supposed to roll surprisingly well on the pavement.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Marathon 700x40 or 47. I rode the 47s for quite a while on my check and they're really only about 42-44 depending on rim. They're good and squishy on the road and nice enough on single track. You won't have to worry much about flats. They have a tire called Big Ben I think that looks awesome. Check it out. I like schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have been running Clement X'plor USHs on my LHT for a couple months now. I really like the tire. The tread pattern is about perfect for mostly street with occasional dirt. The USH is 35mm, so a little narrower than you wanted. And frankly, I wish they were a little wider too. The X'plor MSO comes in a 40, however the tread is a bit more aggressive. I think either of those is worth a look.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fenders?

If you use fenders it makes a big difference on how wide a tire you can use. Surly says 700x45 w/ fenders.

Good luck!

Pat

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Schwalbe Marathon 700x40 or 47. I rode the 47s for quite a while on my check and they're really only about 42-44 depending on rim. They're good and squishy on the road and nice enough on single track. You won't have to worry much about flats. They have a tire called Big Ben I think that looks awesome. Check it out. I like schwalbe.
    Big Ben is the same as the Big Apple but with a deeper tread, which adds a fair bit of weight but should give better traction on light trails. However, like Big Apple's, the Big Ben's are outside of the suggested size limits though - they're available in a minimum size of ERTO 50-622 (28x2.0, 700x50).

Marathon's are pretty nice. I found them to be a pretty heavy tire that do not roll quickly, but have run one of them for over 10,000 mi before replacing it with zero punctures. You can find my review here: Marathon Plus HS 348 | Schwalbe North America (there's a photo in the review; Schwalbe liked the photo I sent them as a, "TGIF - customer photo" via email).

I feel like the Marathon Mondial is your best bet (700x42). Honorable mention for the Dureme (same size). Depends on what you want - more off road grip, more on road grip, more speed, or more reliability.

Worthy mention: Slightly skinnier than your request, but Contental Contacts are a pretty decent tire with a respectable price in a 700x37. Racing Ralphs by Schwalbe are also the shiznit when it comes to CX tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've been running Vee Rubber XCX 1.75 (~44mm) on mine and have been loving it. Not the greatest traction in the leaf cover and mud of fall/winter conditions, but they roll fast and should be awesome come summer. I did a 35 mile road ride on them the other week and didn't feel too abused. And they are pretty cheap (~$30).

mtbr member
    Appologies. I was thinking of Little Ben which should be around 40.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    I have been running Clement X'plor USHs on my LHT for a couple months now. I really like the tire. The tread pattern is about perfect for mostly street with occasional dirt. The USH is 35mm, so a little narrower than you wanted. And frankly, I wish they were a little wider too. The X'plor MSO comes in a 40, however the tread is a bit more aggressive. I think either of those is worth a look.
    I've got a set of the X'plor MSO (700x40) and love them. They roll much faster on pavement that the tires I used to use (Kenda Small block 8 700x35). Another good tire is the WTB Allterrain (formerly "allterrainasaurus").

mtbr member
    I like Schwalbe Marathons as they're durable, dependable and inexpensive. They can feel a bit sluggish but I'm good with it. The basic Marathons work well enough on dirt roads. This summer I'll probably pick-up a pair of Little Bens which Rivendell now has for sale.

Schwalbe Little Ben wire, RaceGuard Performance line, HS439 - 700c x 38 (40-622, 28x1.5) - 10128
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a pair of 35mm marathon extremes which I like a lot. Apparently they're discontinued unfortunately. But they are really good for riding what you find vs sticking to pavement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I liked the Small block 35's for all around tires on my Cross check. The Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 45 Is good on the rear off road, but not really great on the front. The Bontrager 1.8 Makes a great front for trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    Big Ben is the same as the Big Apple but with a deeper tread, which adds a fair bit of weight but should give better traction on light trails. However, like Big Apple's, the Big Ben's are outside of the suggested size limits though - they're available in a minimum size of ERTO 50-622 (28x2.0, 700x50).
    Not necessarily. Although the Big Ben's are listed as 700 x 50, they actually measure only 45mm, so they should "fit fine" on a CC. Info per Rivendell. If anyone's actually tried to mount them, and couldn't, let me know.

Now having said that, the tread on the Big Ben doesn't like all that super duper for riding on singletrack. Maybe better than the Big Apple, but not any better than any other deeply treaded tire like the Marathon or the Panaracer Pasela. Probably fine for 95% road - 5% offroad. So are most other touring/urban tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    The Bontrager 1.8 Makes a great front for trails.
    I second. The Bonty 1.8's are fantastic trail tires. I wouldn't recommend them for all around use, however. I mean, they would work, but probably not the best choise for fast rolling on pavement. Fast rolling on dirt and gravel - yes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I drive contitental travel contacts, they dowill booth on and offroad. in winter and summer. not sure how to compare them to other tires. most other tired i have driven are more onroad tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Little Big Bens

just to note that Rivendell is calling the Schwalbe Little Big Bens as 700 x 38, not the 700 x 40 as noted on Schwalbe's site. They are $40 at Rivendell's website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I completely forgot the little big ben was available now, may very well go that route. Also looking hard at the mondials now. I had already ruled out the clement USH do to them being no wider than what i have now, but am surprised to hear the MSO is faster than the small block 8. Thanks for the input from everyone, I will likely be making a decision within the next week or so and though I now don't have any fewer options it seems they are now all schwalbe.
    -Luke-

mtbr member
    For mostly pavement the Mondials will be overkill. Look at the 700x35 Panaracer T-Serv. Much lighter, will roll much faster, and will still do well on gravel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukehooligan View Post
    95 percent of the time my CC is ridden on asphalt, but i also enjoy slowly picking my way through singletrack from time to time,even though I also have a proper MTB, and am looking into getting some gravel miles in this year as well.Thanks for any and all input.
    -Luke-
    If you ride 95% pavement get a tire that rolls well on pavement. Any stiff casing tire is going to roll poorly on pavement and that will suck 95% of the time.

I've used supple smooth tires for dirt/gravel riding and they've just fine for dry conditions and not nearly as bad as you would expect in wet conditions. I'm talking non-technical riding here - not full on MTBing. The supple wide casing run at an appropriately low pressure conforms to the surfaces you are on and grips quite well.

Something like the Schwalbe Kojak is what I am talking about, but it only comes in 35mm width for a 700c wheel. You'll find wider options as well. I just don't have any on the tip of my tongue.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com