mtbr member
    May 2009

Which one would you build?

Please share your experience with me so that I may better choose which Surly frame to build up. The desire for this build stems from my severe want for a geared mountain bike. I realize that this bike needs to fit many categories and will not excel at one thing because it has to do so many things.

I can get by with a rigid bike most of the time, but the local mountain bike trail I ride has some limestone rock erosion and encounters with baseball sized loose rock at speed is all too common. Though I have ridden this trail 26" rigid and it is doo-able, it just isn't as fun without some front squish. (I have had a pug on this trail and front squish is not required for fat tires)

These are my requirements in order of importance:

Local mountain bike trail riding - I need to keep up with the pack which I have no problem with on my 1x1.

Bikepacking - This bike will see the west Texas Desert and needs to hold a TON of water and frame bags.

Local mountain bike races - I am not that competitive and do this mainly for fun. The bike I haved raced is a 29lb 1x1 so I don't need an ultra light whizzy-whig mountain bike. This is the least important because the 1x1 has been built lighter and can be my race bike since I really like to race single speed.

Trailer - A Bill/Ted hitch might be in my future.

Candidates:

Troll - owned one but it was too small for me, LOVED IT. I like 650B (my 1x1 is 650B) better than 29er for what I do but maybe I don't have enough 29er exposure

Ogre - Troll with 29er sounds good, I know folks with smaller legs than myself that love theirs. Possibly better riding rigid than 26er or 650b?

Pugsley - Nothing beats fat tires in the fun department. I took a 2013 complete to big bend and it was awesome but very heavy and very slow. I did the racks/panniers which added to the weight and my build will be lighter than the complete. My girlfriend has one, and it is fun on the local trails I have ridden. No easy suspension options for the front but I don't think this is required.

Krampus - Supposed to be much faster feeling and loads of fun. Front suspension may not be required.

Others?

Experience to share?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    My only experience is with the pugs. I have a Necro. It is hard to find a trailer stock build that will work correctly with the offset frame & rear wheel, I had tons of rub on one side(okay, STOPPAGE) and tons of room on the other with a Bob Ibex 29er. I called Surly and the Bill & Ted hitch will not work without mods as well. Bikes at Work however could make you one custom for a small fee.

I love my pugs otherwise and yes, front forks aren't cheap or easy for suspension options. Hopefully, the trailer and shock thing will change as more bikes become mainstream & common. I leftified mine, total upgrade but was close to a g in cost by the time all was done.

The Krampus catches my eye and if I didn't have a pugs, that would be my ride instead, as is I think it crosses the fattie to 29er bridge quite solidly in the middle ground. The best of both worlds, in my mind.

PSYCHOLUST
    Other than a FIXIE, I think I have spent time on every configuration of mountain bike and my Single Speed KRAMPUS is one of the most FUN bikes I have ever had.
    So mechanically simple and FAST ( compared to my geared FATBACK)
    It certainly doesn't accellerate like my 19lb Niner One9 , but for ripping up singletrack with your friends it's an awsome ride.
    If weight is a concern, my KRAMPUS has no carbon parts (not that I have aything against carbon) and weighs in at 26.5 lbs

mtbr member
    I second Scyule's recommendation. I own a single speed 29er, a fat bike and a Krampus. The Krampus is my go-to as it does most everything well... not skinny, not fat, just right. It sounds like the perfect bike for your needs. And you can move from multi-to-single speed set-up very easily.
    Mine's a large frame... I am at 31lbs. with some carbon bars, post and lightweight hydros (XO's), lightweight tubes. My only gripe is the weight of the front end... which will be addressed with the fork... I have a White Brothers Carbon fork on order.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Krampus is looking like the win here. Too bad there are no frames available from my shop.