Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

The one bike concept: CC or LHT

I have a lot of bikes. Every once in awhile I feel like selling them all and having one.

Has anyone actually done this and gone with a CC or LHT? Really one of those would fit all my "needs."

I'm thinking the two sets of wheels thing for (a) road rides/brevet/touring and (b) non-hardcore trail riding.

Or feel free to talk me down from the ledge.

Thanks!

Ryan

mtbr member
    I've pondered that myself. I really don't think I could get by on one bike. What I think would be ideal would be a SS CC and an LHT. Or maybe just two CCs, one SS and one geared. But if I had to go with just one I'd probably go with an LHT just because of positioning. I feel like I could definitely meet all my riding needs with an LHT, just not all my wants.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Based on my experience with both bikes, I think either one would work for your one bike concept. But you probably already knew that. For a long time, my LHT was my only functioning bike. And it worked just fine for doing everything from triathalons to rocky singeltrack to utility riding and commuting. No serious racing. Or touring, incidently. I appreciate the practicality and versitility of the LHT. But as the saying goes - the jack of all trades is the master of none. And I really felt that with the LHT. Maybe its my own fault I got a touring bike and didn't tour, but I had a bug for a faster bike. I told myself it didn't really matter because I don't race and another steelbike wouldn't be much faster anyway. But I still wanted one. So I bought a used CC for cheap and rehabbed it into a nice rando-style roadbike. And I'm really glad I did, because it is actually faster and more fun. So now I have a "fun" bike and a "work" bike; I like that arrangement much better. And, honestly, the CC is still versatile enough to be the "work" bike if need be, so there is plenty of overlap between the two bikes.. Anyway, back to your predicament. I won't talk you down from the ledge as there is definitely goodness in simplifying your life. And if that means getting down to one bike, then so be it. But just manage your expectations - there will be drawbacks. Especially if you believe that "vareity is the spice of life" or in having "the right tool for the right job".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I feel like I could definitely meet all my riding needs with an LHT, just not all my wants.
    Bingo! That's it exactly.

mtbr member
    given that you're not going to be doing any more serious dirt riding but possibly touring, the LHT sounds like a better choice on paper. but really, i think either would work and you should pick which one you like the ride of better. since it'll be your only ride, i'd say the one you just like more on a day to day basis would be the way to go.

I'm currently down to 2 bikes, though soon to be 3 this spring. I've considered selling by other bike and going with my CC as the only ride. it's undoubtedly versatile enough to do so and at least for the type of riding i do, with less compromises than i would have thought.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here's an additional item to consider...

A 26" Disc Trucker would give you more flexibility in terms of wheel size. You should be able to fit meaty 26" or 650B wheels for dirt riding, and at least a 700x25 or 28 for road rides. The 26" Disc Trucker fork actually has the same axle-to-crown measurement as the Steamroller fork, which I know for a fact clears 700x35 Pasela's. You would just have to verify the clearance at the rear of the DT.

There's a custom Strong on the Serotta/Paceline forums that uses a similar concept. With disc brakes and the right frame clearances, you really could have one frame fill multiple roles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I currently am doing this. I sold my other bikes and just have a LHT. I only use one set of wheels. I have taken it everywhere-road, dirt, gravel, easy single track. But have to say after 3 years of just one bike, I am seriously looking at buying a troll or ogre. I would like the extra offroad capability.

After doing it I say unless space and budget says otherwise, it is ok to have multiple bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Multiple bikes is much easier than swapping wheels. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with the Crosscheck. The LHT is too sluggish and has less ground clearance if you take it off road. The LHT is awesome when fully loaded, but the Crosscheck can handle a full touring load well enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Lht

I now have my LHT 700c and it's my only bike and I ride it wherever I want. I have had a crosscheck and a 26"LHT. I always think I want another bike and I know you have/had some wonderful bikes. I vote for LHT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a 26" LHT and a SS CC. If I had to just have one it would probably be the LHT. I also have a steel road bike that is kind of like a Pacer I guess and while I could shoehorn the CC into the function of either of the others, I wouldn't like it as much as the others for those functions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I own a 700c LHT right now, and I think that if I had to answer this, it would be 26" Disc Trucker.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
    I have a lot of bikes. Every once in awhile I feel like selling them all and having one.
    I always feel like having one more.
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What about just an Ogre? Seems like it would fit your criteria, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I can only afford one bike so the Cross Check is my Transformer.

Although I REALLY want a SS KM if I can find an extra 1k lying around.

Last edited by brdpkns; 03-07-2012 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlasley View Post
    What about just an Ogre? Seems like it would fit your criteria, too.
    It definitely could, but would have a more mountain bikey / urban assault flavor. Maybe a little on the heavy side for the road and brevet stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I vote cross check but I have a lot of bikes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The practical one-bike is hands down the 26" LHT. You can put 2.1" MTB tires on it, load it in any way possible, it uses any parts laying around pretty much and simply won't break.

But when performance is considered, the CC jumps right back into the game. The shorter stays and more aggressive geo is a lot more inspired of a ride. I think it comes down to that.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brdpkns View Post
    I can only afford one bike so the Cross Check is my Transformer.

Although I REALLY want a SS KM if I can find an extra 1k lying around.

That pic with the firewood makes me so happy.

Is it in one of the pic threads, seems familiar? Makes me pine (har har) for some more bike camping trips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    That pic with the firewood makes me so happy.

Is it in one of the pic threads, seems familiar? Makes me pine (har har) for some more bike camping trips.
    Nice! I just found another pic on my phone. Not trying to jack the thread, just showing how versatile my CC has been for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm fortunate to have each (and maybe 1 or 2 other bikes). I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I could have only one it would be the Cross-Check hands down. It's quicker and more versatile for SS/Fixed etc...

mtbr member
    I think that if I had to choose a "one-bike" it would be an ogre. I have and love my Cross Check, but I think that my ideal "one-bike" would be the burlier Ogre that I could commute, trail ride, tour, haul, and generally be more rough with than my Cross Check. LBS just became a stocking surly dealer. Might be an ogre frame in my future?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Everytime I can't pull a car in the garage I think of that.

Has anyone actually done this and gone with a CC or LHT? Really one of those would fit all my "needs."
    I hope so. Maybe you can talk me out of buying another vintage bike to look at.

I'm thinking the two sets of wheels thing for (a) road rides/brevet/touring and (b) non-hardcore trail riding.
    That's about all the riding I'm doing these days. The LHT is a really nice bike. Now that it comes in a disc version with 700C wheels it really looks good. But it's a lot heavier than the CC. It's almost over built for what you're thinking about doing. I'll go with the CC and it's too short head tube.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

I Ride for Donuts
    If it came down to those two choices for me, I'd get an Ogre
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I'm about at the 1 1/2 bike concept. though i technically have 2, my road bike is in the basement getting cleaned up to give to my girlfriend's dad. My CC is set up so i can switch between the stock bell lap bars and the surly open bar in about 5 minutes (separate brake cables/ yokes). the bar change alters the ride pretty dramatically, so it feels like having 2 bikes built on the same platform. it's cool because both set-ups are capable of doing all the kinds of riding i do -commuting, singletrack, medium length road rides- but do it very differently.

mtbr member
    There are times when I really think having one bike would be great. Like now when I'm trying to figure out which bike to ride for tomorrow's 300k brevet. My dedicated rando bike is out of commission. My CC and LHT are both in good working order. Given the distance I'm tempted to grab the LHT due to it's more comfy position. But the CC is a little more lively and I'm curious to see how it rides over such a long distance. I'm worried that because the bars are a lower on the CC I'll end up regretting it. Yes, I realize this is a bit of a luxury problem. If I just had one bike the issue would be solved...
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast