Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

One Badass Mother...

Trucker, that is.

62cm LHT frame, 26" wheels, 1.5" Panaracer Paselas, Open Bar (with Ergon cork grips), v-brakes, full brake and derailleur cable housing (with top-pull front configuration), "tuned" trigger shifters, 180mm Mr. Whirly cranks.

Looks funny, rides great. Very comfortable, super smooth, extremely stable, and surprisingly nimble. This bike rules.

More to come...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Badass Mother...-img_0839.jpg  

One Badass Mother...-img_0843.jpg  

One Badass Mother...-img_0842.jpg  

One Badass Mother...-img_0840.jpg  

One Badass Mother...-img_0846.jpg  

One Badass Mother...-img_0841.jpg  

One Badass Mother...-img_0844.jpg  

mtbr member
    Love that cockpit! Same as I run on my Pugsley and Big Dummy. I have the same tires on the Big Dummy too. Not as fat as I'm use to, but they roll fast and are good for touring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    26" wheels are FUGLY on that big of a frame. I'm glad you enjoy it. I hope you do some wide tours with it so the wheels make sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    26" wheels are FUGLY on that big of a frame. I hope you do some wide tours with it so the wheels make sense.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. I think it looks great.

The bike was built for touring and should see some long hauls, but I think the 26" wheels have some other advantages, as well. They're lighter, stronger, and more nimble than 700c wheels. The 26" LHT frame allows for loads to be carried lower and accepts bigger tires than the 700c frame, and there seems to be a better variety of tread patterns available for 26" tires. The smaller wheels also make an otherwise large bike feel a little more compact, e.g. while lifting, loading on the bus, parking, etc.

I also already had a spare set of 26" wheels and not 700c wheels, which made the decision that much easier...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Beautiful. I'm with you on the 26" wheels, I have big apples on mine. Of course mine is a 54 so 26" was a given.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks great! Wheels look good. I'm a 26 fan for the most part. What's the ballpark weight?

@adelorenzo
    Crazy, I had no idea that Surly was offering 26" all the way up to that size. I'd be very curious to ride a bike like that, I ride that frame size but can't imagine what smaller wheels would be like. I don't even ride 26" on mtb anymore.

Cool bike!

mtbr member
    Nice Lebowski quote! Made my day!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. I think it looks great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    Crazy, I had no idea that Surly was offering 26" all the way up to that size. I'd be very curious to ride a bike like that, I ride that frame size but can't imagine what smaller wheels would be like. I don't even ride 26" on mtb anymore.

Cool bike!
    I didn't either, until just recently. I was imagining exactly this kind of bike for myself for adventure rides, commuting, and touring. I considered the Thorn Sherpa, but my investigations led me to the 26" LHT as a more affordable alternative. So far the bike is everything I'd hoped it would be.

My mountain bike has 29" wheels with huge tires, and I prefer larger wheels for technical riding. I think the 26" wheels ride plenty smooth on gravel, hardpack, and pavement, which are the surfaces this bike is designed to attack, and seem to handle curb drops, short manuals, etc. better than 700c wheels. The handling is smooth and steady, with very predictable cornering, and the smaller wheels feel nice and lively.

I sit up high on this bike, but that's partially due to how I've configured the cockpit to achieve a more upright position for long rides. However, because of the low bottom bracket I don't feel as if I'm riding on top of the little wheels.

I like this one.

mtbr member

Hey man, like, that's my signature, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    This aggression will not stand.

Nice bike, but I say go with bigger tires. Schwalbe Duremes or even standard Marathons.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    Looks great! Wheels look good. I'm a 26 fan for the most part. What's the ballpark weight?
    I don't know. If I had to guess I'd say about 26-27 pounds. Certainly lighter than the Big Dummy it is temporarily replacing (perhaps permanently with a trailer?).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Nice bike, but I say go with bigger tires. Schwalbe Duremes or even standard Marathons.
    The Paselas are great on pavement and surprisingly decent on gravel. I have some Marathon Extremes (2.0") for when the going gets rough. I'm considering picking up a pair of something in between the two, like 1.75" Marathon Cross.

mtbr member
    I think it's hawt. I've spent a lot of time considering a build just like this, but I think I'll probably end up on a 64cm Disc Trucker, which only comes in 700c flavour.

mtbr member
    For whatever reason, I love the way big frames look with small wheels. There's a ratio of frame size to wheel size that just looks best. Dunno why. Then again, I also love the way those wacky 36"ers look with huge hoops and the frame cradled betwixt. I don't like the way small road frames look with 700c. I have very particular tastes it seems.

Anyway, i love your setup. Looks just plain awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think LHT's are kinda ugly with the 26" wheels too, but in an endearing way - I love them regardless. I often wish I went the LHT route - maybe one day.

mtbr member

First loaded trip.

I put a front rack on the Trucker and loaded up with gear for a trip this weekend. The bike handled amazingly well under load and was super comfortable to pedal. I was also very happy with the tires which held up to the load quite nicely, did much better than I expected on gravel, and were still smooth and fast.

My wheels, however, did not hold up to the load, and I broke three spokes. I ended up having to hitchhike, which for me meant riding in a car for the first time in three months -- a disappointing concession, but a fun adventure nonetheless.

Needless to say, I need a more suitable wheelset for this bike. I was running some cheap 32h LX/Mavic 221 wheels I had, but it's time now for some quality touring wheels. I'm 200 lbs and will be carrying front and rear panniers on many weekends and a few extended trips. What are my worthy options for 26" touring wheels? I could keep the LX hubs and just get some new rims perhaps, but I'm wondering if I should be moving to 36h anyway, which would require new hubs. Suggestions appreciated.

Lots more pictures from my trip on my blog (link in signature).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Badass Mother...-img_0855.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'd say if it's not too much of a financial strain move to 36h hubs. But, if it is a strain, I think 32h hubs built up to solid rims by a good wheel builder should be fine. I really think a larger volume tire will help increase the overall strength of the wheel but I understand the allure of Paselas.

How many miles did you ride and how were the Open Bars. I keep contemplating a bar change for my commuter, possibly to OBs and am curious about them.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    I only ended up riding about 35 miles this weekend, but I have done hundreds of miles on the Open Bar on my Big Dummy, including a 400-mile trip, and it's the most comfortable handlebar I've used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think it looks great. Nice build. How is the chain line with the Whirly cranks? Did you use the short spindle? If not I would think the chain line would be off.

mtbr member
    Chain line is fine. I used the spindle that came with the cranks stock on my 2010 Big Dummy. They are awesome cranks. Very stiff and the best finish of any cranks on the market, IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This looks really good. If I was making a 26" commuter / light tourer, what are the major differences between going with the LHT and the Troll? Disc compatibility is kind of moot now, so . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Really nice looking bike. I love the Open Bars on the LHT. I'm definitely going that way with mine if I ever get a "real" roadbike.

I would agree with many that 26" wheels have their place, especially for hardcore extended touring in developing countries and that sort of thing. For my riding, I much prefer 700c and am glad I'm big enough to fit a 700c Trucker. As a matter of fact, coming from a mountain biking background, I'd only ever ridden 26" wheel bikes. My Trucker was the first 700c bicycle I'd ever ridden extensively and the increase in speed and effeciency of the bigger wheel was something of a revalation to me. I don't see ever going back to 26". 650b maybe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    This looks really good. If I was making a 26" commuter / light tourer, what are the major differences between going with the LHT and the Troll? Disc compatibility is kind of moot now, so . . .
    Well, the Troll is really just a 1x1 with the necessary braze-ons for gears, racks, fenders, etc. It has a horizontal dropout to easily set up a single speed, fixed, or internal gear drive train. The geometery is optimized for a flatbar. The BB height and wheelbase are optimized for tearing through twisty, bumpy offroad trails. The fork is suspension corrected. Basically, its a mountain bike. The LHT, on the other hand, has a crowned, non-suspension corrected fork and is geometrically optimized for using a dropbar and heavy touring loads (long chainstays and low BB). It has a classic look that is pleasing to the traditional eye. Its a roadbike. Given that just about any bike at all, from a beat up '80's mountain bike to a $20,000 custom carbon fiber job and everything in between, will work for commuting and light touring, both the Troll and the Disc Trucker are equally suited to the task. Deciding between them would be more driven by what else you want to do. Want to carve singletrack between tours or try out singlespeeding? Or run an IGH in the winter? Troll. Want to do centuries and charity road rides or look classy with Europhile sorts of accessories? Want more heal clearance for big panniers? Trucker.

mtbr member
    Just put Open Bars on my CC late yesterday. We'll see how I like them, heading out for a day of errands on CC now.

mtbr member

German Goodness.

Still waiting for a set of 36h XT M770/Mavic XM719 wheels.

Meanwhile, some new kit: SKS P55 fenders and Tubus Cargo and Duo racks. Mmm...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Badass Mother...-img_0968.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast