mtbr member
    Sep 2009

ok...I think I "get" the Cross Check

Yesterday I took the new CC out for a spin on the local bike paths/roads. The temps in Ohio were in the upper 40s. As I am riding along the path, I noticed that once I got out of town, there was still a lot of ice/snow covering the trails in long sections. As I was going through the snow, I was sort of complaining that the CC wasn't as good as my 29er mountain bike is in the snow. I mean it was doing a decent job, but the mountain bike would have been better. So, then we hit the road out in the country. It was fairly windy and I was struggling to keep the CC up around 18mph with the 700X37 All Terrain tires, racks, bags, fenders, etc....Honestly, I was starting to get a bit frustrated. The bike is a total pig compared my carbon road bike. So I got to the overpass where the road and bike trail intersect and had to drop down a dirt path to the trail. It was a little muddy, but I managed to get to the bottom without too much trouble. Again, I was thinking the CC certainly isn't shining in this situation either. On the way home, I started to think the CC was a mistake and maybe I wasted my money on this build. I mean it sort of fell short of everything I asked of it all day.....then it sort of hit me. I have NEVER owned a single bike that could have handled the road, the snow/ice, the dirt, the mud, etc. Strange to say that the CC isn't really "great" for anything, but there isn't much it can't do....and that's kind of the beauty of it. If I could only have one bike it would either be a CC or a drop bar KM

Last edited by Terry66; 02-14-2011 at 01:35 PM.

lord of my world
    What trail were you riding? None of the trails up in Akron/Cleveland are even remotely clear enough to ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    terry66 thats why I got one. I rode it yesterday down here in Cincinnati. I hit the road,gravel roads that connect to the bike trail in Fairfield. I did it all with no problems. I'm not breaking any speed records but I didn't have to change my route one time because of conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow...a bunch of Ohio people!

I was riding the Creekside Trail yesterday from Dayton to Xenia. I would say the trails were 65% clear of ice/snow. It was a perfect day to enjoy such an awesome bike. It's supposed to be almost 60 on Thursday/Friday, so I am going to put on the 700X32 Michelin City tires and see how it rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm heading up to Columbus the rest of the week for work. I was going to take my Pugs but now I'm taking my CC. Not sure on where to ride but I will find something.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you're getting it Terry66. Once you stop worrying about average speeds you'll enjoy it even more.

The sweet-spot for me is riding on 35c touring tyres. I can keep up with the lycra-cowboys for a few miles, ride faster than most bikes on gravel roads and still ride singletrack if it's dry. I have 45c knobblies that are far more competent off-road but they are hard work on the tarmac.

As for not "great" at anything, I would argue the Cross-Check and bikes of its ilk are the best "road" bikes for bunny-hopping off curbs and riding down stairs ;^)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have been riding 35mm marathon extremes they seem to work on all surfaces (deep mud and loose sand are the obstacles that my 32mm summer slicks couldn't handle). I have been happy ss/fg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twklei
    I'm heading up to Columbus the rest of the week for work. I was going to take my Pugs but now I'm taking my CC. Not sure on where to ride but I will find something.
    Depends where you're going to be in town... you can take the Antrim trail from basically campus up to Westerville or so. It should be pretty ice free later this week. The MTB trails at Alum Creek will be too soft to ride.