mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Ogre + Tubus+ Cascadia

Its probable been done to death but I've done some searches here in the forum and my eyes are going square from it all. The sites web pages seem to load really slowly so I figure I'm just going to ask.

My Ogre frame has arrived and so has my Tubus Cosmo and Nova racks.

Now I'm pretty confident my racks will fit ok as I've seen pics of both Cargo and Duo racks in the various Ogre threads.

My question is basically will I be able to fit my racks and some Planet Bike Cascadia fenders utilising my Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35's?

I've found pics that seem to show either one or other set up but
    I'm greedy and want both

I'm still waiting on my spokes so dont have any wheels to try to get measurements or mock up anything to put my mind at rest.

Can anyone put me out of my misery? (hey put that gun down)

Thanks for any advice

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I do not have a direct answer for you but I have an Ogre so I feel semi qualified to answer this with an unrelated example:

On my Big Dummy, with 2.35 Big Apples on Sun Ringle MTX33 rims (so, sorta wide), I have SKS P60 fenders that fit, but not with a ton of room.

So yeah, different bike different fenders, but same tire so that should translate decently.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi XJaredX,
    thanks for taking the time to contribute something to the thread.
    I've seen pics of Ogres with Big Apple 2.35's and Tubus racks.
    I've seen pics of Ogres with Big Apple 2.35's and Planet Bike Cascadia fenders.
    I cant seem to find pics of Ogres with Big Apple 2.35's with Tubus racks and Cascadia fenders.
    I'm building up a 20" Ogre with black frame and have bought Tubus racks front and rear.
    I've bought the 2.35 Big Apples. I'm unsure whether or not to invest in the Cascadia fenders as here in Aussie they are about $100 after shipping and I'd like to be sure before I part with that much dosh. I've still got to get my wheels built up and today had a set back where the wrong dynamo hub was delivered from Germany. The bike is sucking a bit of coin currently and I'm trying to staunch the flow by prioritizing needs and wants.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh derp, I wasn't thinking "will fenders fit with racks". Sorry. I suspect they will though- typically touring types like fenders, so it is just good sense to make a rack that is accomodating of fenders.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ok, maybe this will help. I looked on Tubus' website and they had a dimensions drawing that states mudguard and tire sizes for that rack: http://www.tubus.com/documents/1323681314_Cosmo_BM.pdf

I Ride for Donuts
    I've done the 2.35 BA's and Cascadia fenders on my Ogre... no real problems. I had to space the lower part of the rear fender back towards the tire for better front derailleur clearance, but it worked great. I had plenty of room. I don't see why any rack wouldn't work. The fender is barely wider than the tire, and I'm sure just about any rack would clear the tire, so it stands to reason that it woudl clear the fender width-wise.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Ok, maybe this will help. I looked on Tubus' website and they had a dimensions drawing that states mudguard and tire sizes for that rack: http://www.tubus.com/documents/1323681314_Cosmo_BM.pdf
    Thanks for the link Turtle01 - it looks positive

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I've done the 2.35 BA's and Cascadia fenders on my Ogre... no real problems. I had to space the lower part of the rear fender back towards the tire for better front derailleur clearance, but it worked great. I had plenty of room. I don't see why any rack wouldn't work. The fender is barely wider than the tire, and I'm sure just about any rack would clear the tire, so it stands to reason that it woudl clear the fender width-wise.
    Thanks for your input CommuterBoy. It was a pic of your dropbar Ogre that first introduced me to the idea of the Cascadia fenders and inspired me to look harder at them as a possibility for my build. Hopefully it wont be long and I'll be able to put the theory to the test. My frame now has cranks and rear caliper attached and my rear wheel has been put together so getting closer and closer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Damn it! Just to make my decision harder there is now a white 29er Cascadia and if a chrome look is your thing (I like it) Gilles Berthound is doing a wide polished stainless 29er mudguard set for similar prices to the Cascadia.