Thread: Ogre Sizing

I Ride for Donuts

Ogre Sizing

I'm about to order an Ogre frame/fork. This has probably been covered somewhere, and I've read a lot, but I'm wanting to cover my bases before pull the trigger, so apologies for the dead horse beatdown, BUT...

I've looked at the charts and what-not, and I'm curious about what to do. I'm 6'2" plus...pushing 6'3", and I'm currently riding a Performance Access 29er with a short downhill stem and drop bars. It's a 21". It fits really good.

I want to set up the Ogre in a similar way, with drop bars, and I'm torn on what size to go with. I've read that they have a really long top tube, but then in the next thread I'll read about how they have a really short top tube. so I'm curious about the 'feel' of the bike, more than the math behind it.

Should I size down in order to make the reach right with the drops, or does it have the shorter 'feel' that will make me want to order the more 'normal' size for my height?

What size would you order if you were 6'2" and going to run drop bars?
    I have a 34" pants inseam... 31.5" is my normal center-of-BB-to-top-of-seat measurement.

Thanks!!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well, if it helps I'm 6'2" and change (shorter legs 33" inseam) and have been comfortably riding a 21" specialized stumpjumper 29er - fits me great. I just got an Ogre, and ended up purchasing a 20" and used a bit longer seatpost and stem setup. The bike is a town ripper, jumping curbs, bmx style riding, so I like the slightly smaller sizing, but it still fits. If it was a pure fitness, banging the miles out bike I probably wouldve gone w/the 22". Sucks as a 21" would fit me perfectly. Hope that helps some.

mtbr member
    If you have a bike you like the fit of measure the effective top tube of that bike and then use the Surly Ogre geo chart to determine the frame that matches best.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    You'll have a hard time finding Ogre geometry experience (cause it is a new model), but the KM peeps use same geometry and will provide more insight. You mention drop bars, and for this reason I'd recommend a 20" frame over the 22". I'm 6' and ride an 18" KM with a 110mm stem and a mtb riserbar. I wanted the option to run drops, and like to keep the steel HT frames on the small side so they're that bit more flickable and stiff - so went 18". Since you're slightly taller than me, and I'm at the upper and of who can ride an 18", I say go 20".

I Ride for Donuts
    This is good advice, thanks guys. I'm torn between 20 and 22... current bike is really right there in the middle.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    This is good advice, thanks guys. I'm torn between 20 and 22... current bike is really right there in the middle.
    I would absolutely get a 20" frame. I'm 6'1, 34" pant inseam and ride a 20" KM, and could have gone with an 18" especially for trails. I have a shorter upper body in comparison to my long legs. I run a 70mm stem with an origin-8 space bar on my KM. I have struggled with getting the bars close/high enough but I'm pretty happy with this set up. I wanted to possibly run drops too, but that isn't in the cards for me with this frame.

If you want to run drops, leave the steerer uncut. Otherwise you'll struggle with getting them high enough even with a short, high rise stem. If you go with a 22", you will probably have too much reach to run drops even with a 40-50mm stem. If you are able to run a slightly longer stem (70mm+) you can actually get one with some rise to it.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^ That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks. makes good sense. Drops are a definite for me on this frame. I need to compare the other measurements with my current frame to get a better idea, but that sounds like solid advice.

I Ride for Donuts
    For future searchers: I took some actual measurements of my current bike (21" Performance Access 29er) and fount it to be VERY close in size to the 22" Ogre. Closer than I thought. ETT is 1/4 inch longer on the Ogre, Standover is 1/2 inch less on the Ogre.

I do want to run drops, but I also want the option of switching it up and running flat bar, risers, etc... I'm thinking that if I go 21 I might find it cramped switching to a flat bar. I have chimp arms, so that's a factor. leaning towards the 22.

mtbr member
    For future searchers: I took some actual measurements of my current bike (21" Performance Access 29er) and fount it to be VERY close in size to the 22" Ogre. Closer than I thought. ETT is 1/4 inch longer on the Ogre, Standover is 1/2 inch less on the Ogre.

I do want to run drops, but I also want the option of switching it up and running flat bar, risers, etc... I'm thinking that if I go 21 I might find it cramped switching to a flat bar. I have chimp arms, so that's a factor. leaning towards the 22.
    If you run a short stem with the drops [say 70mm] it will give you the option to throw a 110mm stem on for a flat bar and extend the reach to the flat bar. If you run a 110mm stem with the drops you won't realistically be able to go much longer.
    Last edited by vikb; 02-17-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I Ride for Donuts
    Yeah, I run a short downhill style stem with the drops on the Access. And I actually have another Access in the same size for my mountain bike, and I run a longer stem and flat bar on it. Short stem and drops makes it perfect for the commute/tour/backroad bomber. longer stem and flat bars is pretty ideal on the trail. I'm thinking I can get very close to the same fit with the Ogre in a 22.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I also need some sizing advice!
    I am 6'2 with 36 1/4 measured PBH
    I currently ride (off road) an old cannondale CAAD4 "Large" and I have always thought it felt really good. That being said, I did bend my first seat post and there is a TON of post sticking out, and I always wondered if it was a bit small. It was also my first foray from old aluminum rigid bike to front suspension... and canti to disc... and 7spd to 9spd - basically it was way lighter, faster and plusher than my old school bikes so my long love affair with it could be mostly due to how much better it was from the moment I sat on it.

I will build the Ogre up mostly for trail use but I thought I might be able to use it for touring as well instead of getting a LHT as a second bike. (I had a 58cm LHT that I sold as it was too small. I would probably love a 62cm LHT).

I'm planning to go super fat - salsa gordo 29er rims with schwalbe or conti 29x2.4 tires. For road riding, I'd put big apples on.

ETT length compared to my cannondale puts me right on the nail for a 20" frame, but I keep thinking I should go up to 22 so that I am a bit more upright, and to keep the touring option open. Also, amazingly, my 26" wheeled cannondale has the same wheelbase as the 22" ogre. Not sure how that affects the trail feel though.

I thought I could flip the stem down for off roading and up for touring perhaps - or even change the bar out from a mary bar for off road to a trekking bar for touring, getting me up and back a bit.

Will I be making a huge compromise in offroad handling by going "up" to a 22? I feel like my body could easily handle either size. Maybe I should just build a nimble offroader and tackle the touring bike separately.

To throw another curve, I have a big dummy in "large" and when I first got it I wished I got the XL. Turns out I am actually very comfy on it -- with huge swept back bar. I also had to put a setback post on it to get my butt back where I want it for my super upright city cruisin' riding position (not a huge setback, I'm using the velo orange post with about 3cm setback).

Here is a comparison of the 20 and 22 with my cannondale frame (and the big dum):

All advice is appreciated!

Code:
    		OGRE 20 Cannon' Big Dum	OGRE 22
    Seat Tube	508	508	508	558.8
    Top Tube	589.9	xxx	588.7	607.1
    Eff Top Tube	616.3	616	614.1	632.2
    BB Drop		68	36	40	68
    Chainstay	431	424	827	431
    Wheelbase	1076.8	1092	1477	1093
    Standover	822.5	805	802.9	853.5
    Head Tube	110	xxx	160.8	125
    Fork Length	468	xxx	425	468
    Fork Rake	43	46	43	43

mtbr member
    I'm on the same boat here. Pretty much settled the Ogre as my next bike and now I'm dealing with sizing.

I'm an hair under 6'1, 33'' inseam, long arms with 6'5 armspan. My current ride is a Singular Swift Large, with a 618mm ETT. I'm leaning to go with the 20'' Ogre, with it's 616mm ETT.
    My only fear it that the Ogre seat tube is a little too long for me.

Any comments?

EDIT: I was trying to say seat tube, not toptube on the Ogre
    Last edited by Ze_Zaskar; 05-23-2012 at 07:42 AM.

I Ride for Donuts
    Based on your size, I'd say the 20 sounds right. I'm 6'2"+, 34" inseam, and went with the 22 and I'm happy. A 2mm difference in ETT is basically imperceptable. The top tube difference is not that big of a deal... that can be a design thing, based on the Ogre's sloping seat tube, etc. ETT is way more accurate, and it sounds like you have an almost identical match in ETT.

mtbr member
    I just saw that I wrote "toptube" instead of seat tube. Is the seat tube lenght that worries me on the Ogre

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Based on your size, I'd say the 20 sounds right. I'm 6'2"+, 34" inseam, and went with the 22 and I'm happy. A 2mm difference in ETT is basically imperceptable. The top tube difference is not that big of a deal... that can be a design thing, based on the Ogre's sloping seat tube, etc. ETT is way more accurate, and it sounds like you have an almost identical match in ETT.
    What's your PBH/medical inseam? 34? My legs are a bit longer than yours but I'm 6'2 as well. I may go with the 22. This decision is killing me. Who ever thought a 2 inch difference would be so important?

(that's what she said?)

I Ride for Donuts
    I don't remember my PBH off the top of my head. I work at a high school, and while I'd love to put a book between my legs and stand against the wall right now, it's just not worth the consequences.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm going to go for a ride and ponder it all ;-)

mtbr member
    Just posted on the KM sizing thread a couple of cad drawings of the Ogre and Swift. Hope thats useful