Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Ogre/Karate Monkey

So I have an Ogre and a Karate Monkey. I had them both set up as mtbs with gears; then I thought that maybe that was a little silly as it was like having two bikes the same (albeit slightly different gearing!!).

I have now changed the setup of the Ogre and I am now running it as a Drop bar 29'er (SS), whilst the Karate Monkey is set up as a 2x10 (with bashguard).

Recently bikepacked with the Monkey in the Swiss Alps at which it was very good, so it got me thinking if I have made a mistake buying both the Ogre & Monkey!!!

Any thoughts?

A
    N+1 = the correct equation for the number of bikes...............

mtbr member

Ogre/Karate Monkey

Not really! You just need to swap the setup with your bikes
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Not really! You just need to swap the setup with your bikes
    +1

Nothing wrong with having one more 'dedicated' bike for SS, XC, CX or whatever you like, and one extremely versatile bike for XC, travelling, bikepacking, commuting etc etc etc.

KM + Ogre together make a very nice stable.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't think a "mistake," but adding in a cross-ish bike would widen the spectrum of bike usage. So something like a Straggler/Cross Check, or even a roadie frame like the Pacer might come in handy for the fast rides and bikepacking on dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I don't think a "mistake," but adding in a cross-ish bike would widen the spectrum of bike usage. So something like a Straggler/Cross Check, or even a roadie frame like the Pacer might come in handy for the fast rides and bikepacking on dirt roads.

Oh I forget to mention that I also have a Look full carbon road bike, and a pompino SS/fixie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a KM SS with Jones H Loop bar that I have decided to ride predominately off road and buy a Vaya or similar for bitumen and hard dirt tracks to gain a lighter, sportier road bike as well - two bikes for two kinds of riding - seems a bit crazy to have a KM plus an Ogre - but you've already got your roadie - so how many bikes can you really ride - seems a bit like your'e duplicating to me - but each to his own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher 44 View Post
    I have a KM SS with Jones H Loop bar that I have decided to ride predominately off road and buy a Vaya or similar for bitumen and hard dirt tracks to gain a lighter, sportier road bike as well - two bikes for two kinds of riding - seems a bit crazy to have a KM plus an Ogre - but you've already got your roadie - so how many bikes can you really ride - seems a bit like your'e duplicating to me - but each to his own.

Yeah I know!!! Now the Ogre is set up as a SS with Woodchipper bars - yet to ride it, work keeps on getting in the way!

How many bikes can I ride? Well obviously one at a time, but I am now looking at a fat bike to ad to the quiver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    BTW 7 plus 1 or 2 is the correct number of bikes to own. The Ogre and KM frames are versatile enough that all though they are similar they can be built to be very different. I'm kind of in that situation with my Troll. All though I can build it into a SS that doesn't stop me from wanting a 1x1 to add to the quiver.

Nothing wrong with walking out to your garage and deciding what kind of ride you are going to go on by simply by choosing the most appropriatte bike. There are worse things to spend money on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    BTW 7 plus 1 or 2 is the correct number of bikes to own.
    There are worse things to spend money on.
    +1
    I would rather spent my extra on bikes ;-)
    I got 8 now with a Tandem as the latest!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There are worse things to spend money on.

+1 Yeah like beer (ah wait!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Haha, yes beer and bikes go together quite well.

Ariolimax columbianus
    i've got 2 km's and an ogre. one km set up w/suspension fork/2x9, one km rigid single speed (that never gets ridden, wanna throw gears on it), and rigid ogre/3x9. even have a cross-check.

i've bike camped w/suspension km and ogre. depends what i wanna do i guess. ogre's definitely my load hauler w/a frame bag and rear rack that never come off.

too many bikes.... it becomes obsessive in weird cycles for me. w/all the new 27.5 out now too i'm curious to ride a nice steel 27.5 production hard tail. just picked up a full suspension 27.5 santa cruz bantam over the summer for some of the longer harder trails are ride in ca/or......and all bikes have carried beer at one time or another.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i have a KM,ogre and a moonlander,i think the KM/ogre combo is great since everything can swap back and forth between those two frames with no problem.im currently running the KM as a rigid single speed and the ogre with an alfine8.i mainly use the ogre as my trailer hauling bike and generally have it racked up for extra space but recently i took off all the "nerd" gear and slapped a set of knobbies on but the ogre would be my first choice for a long road tour,especially with a big load of gear.the ogre just seems happier loaded than the KM does...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    +1
    I would rather spent my extra on bikes ;-)
    I got 8 now with a Tandem as the latest!
    It's a disease. The first step to recovery is to admit your problem.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For you guys who have experience with both the Ogre and the Karate Monkey, if the two were set up identically, down to the last detail, and both were painted the same color with no decals, could you tell which bike you were riding?

I've test ridden a KM a couple of times but I need a bike with canti studs so the Ogre is the next best thing. However, Surly told me the two bikes have different tubesets, the Ogre a touring tubeset and the KM a trail tubeset. I'm just concerned that the Ogre will have a more "dead" and less "lively" feel than the KM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    It's a disease. The first step to recovery is to admit your problem.
    Yeah! I'm guilty!
    Now this FAT thing is starting to get into my nerves... ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    For you guys who have experience with both the Ogre and the Karate Monkey, if the two were set up identically, down to the last detail, and both were painted the same color with no decals, could you tell which bike you were riding?

I've test ridden a KM a couple of times but I need a bike with canti studs so the Ogre is the next best thing. However, Surly told me the two bikes have different tubesets, the Ogre a touring tubeset and the KM a trail tubeset. I'm just concerned that the Ogre will have a more "dead" and less "lively" feel than the KM.
    i could tell the difference easily,the karate monkey is a much more lively bike.while i wouldnt call the ogre "dead" by any means its certainly more tank like than the monkey.the ogre is a fine trail bike,but the monkey is a trail slayer.without looking at the frames specs i would also say the ogre is a bit more relaxed than the monkey so more comfortable over a long day of riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i could tell the difference easily,the karate monkey is a much more lively bike.while i wouldnt call the ogre "dead" by any means its certainly more tank like than the monkey.the ogre is a fine trail bike,but the monkey is a trail slayer.without looking at the frames specs i would also say the ogre is a bit more relaxed than the monkey so more comfortable over a long day of riding.
    It's good to know that there is an actual difference in the two frames. Do you have any experience with the Troll? I'm undecided on 26" vs 29" at this point so the Troll is also in the running but I suspect it would fall more toward the Ogre's handling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    no troll experience,im 6 foot 6 so 29ers are a better fit for me in general...plus its pretty rough terrain out here once you get off the pavement so the bigger wheels are a bit more forgiving...if i were to give advice,go with the ogre,a few more options for wheels in that size,i have run from 700x40cm tires up to 2.5 inch big apples,ran it as a single speed on skinny tires,a 3x9 on fat dirt tires and now with an alfine and 2.3 knobbies and i can say good things about all those set ups...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm definately looking for fat tire capability. I've never been mountain biking but have done some riding in construction zones that are full of sand, gravel, rocks and huge ruts created by earth moving equipment so I appreciate wider tires. My dirt riding was done on 2.15" Big Apples, which are almost slicks compared to MTB tires. I run the same tires on the road so an Ogre/KM/Troll would fill a dual-purpose role for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm definately looking for fat tire capability. I've never been mountain biking but have done some riding in construction zones that are full of sand, gravel, rocks and huge ruts created by earth moving equipment so I appreciate wider tires. My dirt riding was done on 2.15" Big Apples, which are almost slicks compared to MTB tires. I run the same tires on the road so an Ogre/KM/Troll would fill a dual-purpose role for me.
    get an ogre,the stock build will be more than adequate to give you an idea of how you are going to use the bike in the long run and the ogre frame has a ton of options as far as how you can set it up,its an awesome franken-bike because its personality will in a large part be determined by what you bolt on to it.and i can say that after 5000 plus miles over the last 14 months i still havent managed to break anything on the ogre in spite of some huge loads carried and thousands of pounds of cargo moved on a trailer...whenever im on it its still one of my favorite bikes ever,but i can say the same thing about the moonlander and karate monkey as well...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been contemplating an Ogre for about a year now. I have everything I need, including a set of custom 700c wheels (not disc compatible) to build up a frameset. I wish I had gotten disc compatible wheels but at the time I commissioned them, I never dreamed I'd be considering a full-blown MTB.

I've got a 1993 Rockhopper that I plan to move all of my components to (also have some old 26" wheels) and outfit with some MTB tires. That will be my test vehicle for mountain biking and depending on how fanatical I become, I'll evaluate where to go from there. I'm really interested in a Jones diamond frame or a Krampus but that's just enthusiasm talking. An Ogre will get me started but it's not really the end-point I envision so I just have to decide if I want that middle-point or if want to go for broke and ride the old bike while saving for the Krampus or Jones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just a tyre thought - I considered the Big Apples when I wanted a change to more road friendly slick type tyres to give a more all rounder ride on my KM - however I chose the Big Apples sister - the Super Motos fitted with liners (as they don't have the kevlar protection of the Apples) and filled with glue. They give a better ride as they are not as stiff as the Apples and are very, very quiet on the road which I like. Plenty of grip for light to medium off road as well, though there are internet movies around showing them flying down some really rough stony mountain sections - overall, they are a great tyre to consider.

mtbr member
    You could look for an older KM--they had canti posts until about 2012 or so. Unfortunately, that period also coincided with the ridiculously short head tubes (they got a tiny bit longer around 2013 or so)

Or look for a 2012 or older Soma Juice (green, bent top tube with canti studs)--I had one of those, and it was a really nice riding mountain bike. Better than the KM, better than a Niner, as good as my fabled old green Gunnar Rockhound.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've been contemplating an Ogre for about a year now. I have everything I need, including a set of custom 700c wheels (not disc compatible) to build up a frameset. I wish I had gotten disc compatible wheels but at the time I commissioned them, I never dreamed I'd be considering a full-blown MTB.

I've got a 1993 Rockhopper that I plan to move all of my components to (also have some old 26" wheels) and outfit with some MTB tires. That will be my test vehicle for mountain biking and depending on how fanatical I become, I'll evaluate where to go from there. I'm really interested in a Jones diamond frame or a Krampus but that's just enthusiasm talking. An Ogre will get me started but it's not really the end-point I envision so I just have to decide if I want that middle-point or if want to go for broke and ride the old bike while saving for the Krampus or Jones.
    im pretty sure theres stilll canti bosses even on the new ogre frames,but i would still say to just buy an off the rack ogre build,its going to come with a set of 2.3 mountain tires i think wtb weirwolfs that will be good enough to get you going off road,and i think they spec it with jones loop bars now which are super sweet...all your other stuff will swap right onto it if you chose to change it up,and thats half the fun of an ogre is it can become what you want it to,so its an awesome platform to build from. im also contemplating a krampus build...and the ecr is a sweet bike too,theres a lot of good to be said about learning to mountain bike on fatter tires...the ogre got me started though,wasnt long before i had a moonlander and a karate monkey...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast