mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Ogre/Karate Monkey

So I have an Ogre and a Karate Monkey. I had them both set up as mtbs with gears; then I thought that maybe that was a little silly as it was like having two bikes the same (albeit slightly different gearing!!).

I have now changed the setup of the Ogre and I am now running it as a Drop bar 29'er (SS), whilst the Karate Monkey is set up as a 2x10 (with bashguard).

Recently bikepacked with the Monkey in the Swiss Alps at which it was very good, so it got me thinking if I have made a mistake buying both the Ogre & Monkey!!!

Any thoughts?

A
    N+1 = the correct equation for the number of bikes...............

mtbr member

Ogre/Karate Monkey

Not really! You just need to swap the setup with your bikes
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Not really! You just need to swap the setup with your bikes
    +1

Nothing wrong with having one more 'dedicated' bike for SS, XC, CX or whatever you like, and one extremely versatile bike for XC, travelling, bikepacking, commuting etc etc etc.

KM + Ogre together make a very nice stable.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't think a "mistake," but adding in a cross-ish bike would widen the spectrum of bike usage. So something like a Straggler/Cross Check, or even a roadie frame like the Pacer might come in handy for the fast rides and bikepacking on dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I don't think a "mistake," but adding in a cross-ish bike would widen the spectrum of bike usage. So something like a Straggler/Cross Check, or even a roadie frame like the Pacer might come in handy for the fast rides and bikepacking on dirt roads.

Oh I forget to mention that I also have a Look full carbon road bike, and a pompino SS/fixie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a KM SS with Jones H Loop bar that I have decided to ride predominately off road and buy a Vaya or similar for bitumen and hard dirt tracks to gain a lighter, sportier road bike as well - two bikes for two kinds of riding - seems a bit crazy to have a KM plus an Ogre - but you've already got your roadie - so how many bikes can you really ride - seems a bit like your'e duplicating to me - but each to his own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher 44 View Post
    I have a KM SS with Jones H Loop bar that I have decided to ride predominately off road and buy a Vaya or similar for bitumen and hard dirt tracks to gain a lighter, sportier road bike as well - two bikes for two kinds of riding - seems a bit crazy to have a KM plus an Ogre - but you've already got your roadie - so how many bikes can you really ride - seems a bit like your'e duplicating to me - but each to his own.

Yeah I know!!! Now the Ogre is set up as a SS with Woodchipper bars - yet to ride it, work keeps on getting in the way!

How many bikes can I ride? Well obviously one at a time, but I am now looking at a fat bike to ad to the quiver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    BTW 7 plus 1 or 2 is the correct number of bikes to own. The Ogre and KM frames are versatile enough that all though they are similar they can be built to be very different. I'm kind of in that situation with my Troll. All though I can build it into a SS that doesn't stop me from wanting a 1x1 to add to the quiver.

Nothing wrong with walking out to your garage and deciding what kind of ride you are going to go on by simply by choosing the most appropriatte bike. There are worse things to spend money on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    BTW 7 plus 1 or 2 is the correct number of bikes to own.
    There are worse things to spend money on.
    +1
    I would rather spent my extra on bikes ;-)
    I got 8 now with a Tandem as the latest!
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There are worse things to spend money on.

+1 Yeah like beer (ah wait!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Haha, yes beer and bikes go together quite well.

Ariolimax columbianus
    i've got 2 km's and an ogre. one km set up w/suspension fork/2x9, one km rigid single speed (that never gets ridden, wanna throw gears on it), and rigid ogre/3x9. even have a cross-check.

i've bike camped w/suspension km and ogre. depends what i wanna do i guess. ogre's definitely my load hauler w/a frame bag and rear rack that never come off.

too many bikes.... it becomes obsessive in weird cycles for me. w/all the new 27.5 out now too i'm curious to ride a nice steel 27.5 production hard tail. just picked up a full suspension 27.5 santa cruz bantam over the summer for some of the longer harder trails are ride in ca/or......and all bikes have carried beer at one time or another.