Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 390
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301

    Ogre Build Thread

    Didn't mean to mislead anyone!

    I've been Googling "Surly Ogre Build" for a week now, waiting for someone to show one off. Finally found one:

    Surly Ogre Winterproof’d from Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop.

    I know nothing about Salvagetti and live nowhere near Denver, but that's a nice looking build and they have some other Surly bikes on their site.

    I'm considering moving the complete setup from my Commuter Monkey to an Ogre frame.

    Anyone else have an Ogre built up?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    oops...
    Last edited by slimhazy; 12-14-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: oops...

  3. #3
    Way
    Way is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    86
    Thanks for the link. First build I've seen - Would love to see more of the Ogre. Been agonizing over getting an Ogre or a Jabberwocky, especially with the Vassago sale going on, making it $200 less than the Ogre. But it's definitely less versatile than the Ogre.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    64
    That looks awesome. I have a frameset on order, my LBS told me the availability date was today, but I'm kinda doubting that's the case, since 20" frames aren't available online. Hopefully I'll be posting it soon though!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    40
    That's my bike ... picking it up tomorrow and I'm really psyched. Salvagetti has been great to work with. I had a very specific build in mind and they patiently guided me through all the options and choices.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Way View Post
    Thanks for the link. First build I've seen - Would love to see more of the Ogre. Been agonizing over getting an Ogre or a Jabberwocky, especially with the Vassago sale going on, making it $200 less than the Ogre. But it's definitely less versatile than the Ogre.
    No fork though, so once you add $117 for the matching fork, you're up to $483, which is only $42 less than the Ogre.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by co_Intense View Post
    That's my bike ... picking it up tomorrow and I'm really psyched. Salvagetti has been great to work with. I had a very specific build in mind and they patiently guided me through all the options and choices.
    Congrats! We eagerly await your ride impressions and photos!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    71
    That's a very nice looking bike. Thinking about getting a frame just because it's so versatile. I was actually toying with the idea of a drop bar single speed with flip flop rear hub to start with. Drops look good on it. I'm anxiously awaiting the ride report, too.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    40
    Picked it up yesterday but have only put a couple miles on it. So far so good. It's very comfortable and is a very smooth ride. It's definitely the heaviest bike I own but that was expected, especially with the full racks, studded tires, etc.

    Unfortunately I'll only be commuting on Monday and then head out of town for the week, so it may be a while before I have some real input on the bike. If anyone has specific questions let me know & I'll do my best to answer them.

  10. #10
    Way
    Way is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by co_Intense View Post
    Picked it up yesterday but have only put a couple miles on it. So far so good. It's very comfortable and is a very smooth ride. It's definitely the heaviest bike I own but that was expected, especially with the full racks, studded tires, etc.

    Unfortunately I'll only be commuting on Monday and then head out of town for the week, so it may be a while before I have some real input on the bike. If anyone has specific questions let me know & I'll do my best to answer them.
    Congrats on the new Ogre. I will probably getting one and piecing it together slowly. But I do want an Alfined one, similar to yours. Hows that front hub working out?

  11. #11
    Still want a fat bike....
    Reputation: Dalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    263
    I finally ordered up some parts last week, so I'll have my brakes, stem, seat post, levers, and headset today. Now I need to order up my rims and crank and I'll get to building this thing. Its going to be my commuter. I'll start up a thread at some point.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Way View Post
    But I do want an Alfined one, similar to yours. Hows that front hub working out?
    Front hub is great - I really don't notice it. The E3 front light (asymmetrical) is good but it's taken a bit to get used to (and adjust) the light beam. As many folks have noted it dims quite a bit while stopped. The rear light hasn't impressed me too much. I think it's bright if you're directly behind it, but otherwise it is almost non-existent. My PB Superflash went on right away to 'supplement' it.

    My other feedback on this, none of which is Ogre specific:
    * The JTek shifter is great - I love it
    * The rear hub has needed adjustment every 5-10 miles so far. I'm really hoping things will settle in.
    * This is my first bike with fenders and I'm not fond of them.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    64
    OK, here's the somewhat overdue and anti-climactic completed build. I still have to add racks, cages, computer, etc. etc, but it's ridable for now.









    Took it for a spin down the alley, felt great, but I need to dial in the brakes a lot. I didn't find the BB7s as easy to install as I thought they would be, so I'll take it to the shop and get some professional help. Everything else came together pretty smoothly though. I've got skinny tires on it for now for commuting, it's going to be a long, long time before it sees any singletrack.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Larry Endomorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    143
    Very, very nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyharing View Post
    I didn't find the BB7s as easy to install as I thought they would be, so I'll take it to the shop and get some professional help.
    I found this very helpful in learning to adjust BB7s:
    Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Avid® Mechanical Disc Adjustment

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyharing View Post
    I've got skinny tires on it for now for commuting
    Consider some Schwalbe Big Apples for commuting.

  15. #15
    Dianetics Junior
    Reputation: CBizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    169
    SWEET Mikey!!....look at all of those braze ons!....those forks look like a couple of octopus legs! - I am jealous....looks like a bikepacker's dream

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    Very, very nice.


    I found this very helpful in learning to adjust BB7s:
    Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Avid® Mechanical Disc Adjustment


    Consider some Schwalbe Big Apples for commuting.
    Thanks for the tip! I have kind of a weird work situation, I'm commuting about 30 miles a day now, but very likely in 3 or 4 weeks I'll be moving across the country and the bikes will have to go in storage for a few months. After that, I'll have to re-evaluate what I'll need for commuting, recreation etc, but for now I'm just going to throw a rack on it and call it good. Hopefully this time year I'll be trekking across the desert on my Ogre.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    SWEET Mikey!!....look at all of those braze ons!....those forks look like a couple of octopus legs! - I am jealous....looks like a bikepacker's dream
    Thanks! Yeah, they are pretty crazy. Someday I'll have a use for all the brazeons.


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    Nice build!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyharing View Post
    I've got skinny tires on it for now for commuting, it's going to be a long, long time before it sees any singletrack.
    . Dunno, I kinda linke the Old-Skool skin wall look...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    Nice build!

    . Dunno, I kinda linke the Old-Skool skin wall look...
    Ditto! Love the skin walls. What tires are those anyway?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Ditto! Love the skin walls. What tires are those anyway?
    Thanks! They are NOS Specialized Tri-Cross 700x45's. As far as I can tell, they haven't been made since the '90s.

  21. #21
    short timer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    164
    Very, VERY nice Mikey! You've tipped my scale, plus my LBS has come through with an attractive deal on a IGH... What drive train are you running ? Especially up front...

    Happy New Year!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Sac29 View Post
    Very, VERY nice Mikey! You've tipped my scale, plus my LBS has come through with an attractive deal on a IGH... What drive train are you running ? Especially up front...

    Happy New Year!
    Hey thanks! Happy new years to you too. It's just a 1x9 SLX setup, I might bolt on the other chainrings, I just wanted to try it like this first. The crank is a Race Face Ride with a bashguard, nothing too special but it was cheap and looked decent.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    40
    Mikey, is that a 20" bought as a frameset? I am trying to sort out the rumors, and I'd read that complete Ogres were showing up with the extra braze-ons, but didn't know the framesets were yet. I am waiting to order a 20" until I can be confident of getting the new version. Great news if the waiting is over! Nice build. I'm planning an Alfine 8 rear hub with SLX double crankset.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    64
    Yes, I bought it as a frameset. I "ordered" it two days after Thanksgiving, basically I had my LBS order it, but it took until Dec. 16 or so before it was actually in stock. When I ordered it, I had no idea that they were going to start making them with the extras, so I just got lucky. I'm pretty sure that if you order one now, it'll come like that, if you can find someplace that has them in stock.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    82
    Hey Mikey, the Ogre looks great. I really like the green.

    I'm almost done building up my new Karate Monkey. Last night I wired my brakes. Did you consider running your front brake cable behind the fork?

    I thought the upper housing mount on the KM fork (same fork as Ogre sans braze ons?) was angled with the intention to pass housing between downtube and fork on its way to the lever. It seems to be a good path for the housing without any contact to the headtube.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. surly ogre
    By 1971tch in forum Surly
    Replies: 1306
    Last Post: 4 Days Ago, 01:20 AM
  2. I am an Ogre!
    By Dalton in forum Commuting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 05:46 AM
  4. Ogre Dung!
    By Joseph-da-trog in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 09:36 PM
  5. A Big Thank You From Ogre & Fiona
    By Ogre in forum Passion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •