Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ogre Build Thread

201K views 458 replies 119 participants last post by  Muirenn 
#1 ·
Didn't mean to mislead anyone! ;)

I've been Googling "Surly Ogre Build" for a week now, waiting for someone to show one off. Finally found one:

Surly Ogre Winterproof'd from Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop.

I know nothing about Salvagetti and live nowhere near Denver, but that's a nice looking build and they have some other Surly bikes on their site.

I'm considering moving the complete setup from my Commuter Monkey to an Ogre frame.

Anyone else have an Ogre built up?

#3 ·
Thanks for the link. First build I've seen - Would love to see more of the Ogre. Been agonizing over getting an Ogre or a Jabberwocky, especially with the Vassago sale going on, making it $200 less than the Ogre. But it's definitely less versatile than the Ogre.

#9 ·
Picked it up yesterday but have only put a couple miles on it. So far so good. It's very comfortable and is a very smooth ride. It's definitely the heaviest bike I own but that was expected, especially with the full racks, studded tires, etc.

Unfortunately I'll only be commuting on Monday and then head out of town for the week, so it may be a while before I have some real input on the bike. If anyone has specific questions let me know & I'll do my best to answer them.

#11 ·
I finally ordered up some parts last week, so I'll have my brakes, stem, seat post, levers, and headset today. Now I need to order up my rims and crank and I'll get to building this thing. Its going to be my commuter. I'll start up a thread at some point.

#13 ·
OK, here's the somewhat overdue and anti-climactic completed build. I still have to add racks, cages, computer, etc. etc, but it's ridable for now.

Took it for a spin down the alley, felt great, but I need to dial in the brakes a lot. I didn't find the BB7s as easy to install as I thought they would be, so I'll take it to the shop and get some professional help. Everything else came together pretty smoothly though. I've got skinny tires on it for now for commuting, it's going to be a long, long time before it sees any singletrack.:mad:

#14 ·
#22 ·
Very, VERY nice Mikey! You've tipped my scale, plus my LBS has come through with an attractive deal on a IGH... What drive train are you running ? Especially up front...

Happy New Year!
Hey thanks! Happy new years to you too. It's just a 1x9 SLX setup, I might bolt on the other chainrings, I just wanted to try it like this first. The crank is a Race Face Ride with a bashguard, nothing too special but it was cheap and looked decent.

#23 ·
Mikey, is that a 20" bought as a frameset? I am trying to sort out the rumors, and I'd read that complete Ogres were showing up with the extra braze-ons, but didn't know the framesets were yet. I am waiting to order a 20" until I can be confident of getting the new version. Great news if the waiting is over! Nice build. I'm planning an Alfine 8 rear hub with SLX double crankset.

#24 ·
Yes, I bought it as a frameset. I "ordered" it two days after Thanksgiving, basically I had my LBS order it, but it took until Dec. 16 or so before it was actually in stock. When I ordered it, I had no idea that they were going to start making them with the extras, so I just got lucky. I'm pretty sure that if you order one now, it'll come like that, if you can find someplace that has them in stock.

#25 ·
Hey Mikey, the Ogre looks great. I really like the green.

I'm almost done building up my new Karate Monkey. Last night I wired my brakes. Did you consider running your front brake cable behind the fork?

I thought the upper housing mount on the KM fork (same fork as Ogre sans braze ons?) was angled with the intention to pass housing between downtube and fork on its way to the lever. It seems to be a good path for the housing without any contact to the headtube.

Attachments

#26 ·
Hey Mikey, the Ogre looks great. I really like the green.

I'm almost done building up my new Karate Monkey. Last night I wired my brakes. Did you consider running your front brake cable behind the fork?

I thought the upper housing mount on the KM fork (same fork as Ogre sans braze ons?) was angled with the intention to pass housing between downtube and fork on its way to the lever. It seems to be a good path for the housing without any contact to the headtube.
Thanks for the tip. This is my first time installing discs, and I tend to just look at things and think, "hey maybe this should go there." I hadn't thought of routing it under the DT. Looking at the pictures, it seems like it would work, unless it interefered with fenders or bigger tires?

Do you have any pictures of yours?

#27 ·
My Ogre build - over here in the UK!

Sorry the picture isn't great - crap cameraphone. Will post some more pics later.

I went for the Ogre as I needed a bike that I could use with a childseat and my 2yr old boy (including maybe some overnight trips) and that I could use as a proper mtb. I got rid of two steel Kona 26" hardtails to get this bike. I bought the Ogre as a frameset and where possible transferred components from the other bikes.

Spec is:
Either Ogre fork or Suntour Raidon with 15mm through axles
Hope Pro2 Evo front hub (withy 15mm adaptors) on Mavic A119 rims
Hope XC rear hub on A119 rim (this hub is now on it's 5th bike)
Thomson stem and seatpost
Brooks B17 saddle
Avid BB7/XT levers
XT rapid ride rear mech, LX front mech 8 speed Alivio shifters
Alivio cranks
Blackburn rear rack/CoPilot Limo childseat
Blackburn MTF front rack
Bontrager MudX Tyres/not sure what road tyres to use, currently Conti Top Touring

Attachments

#29 ·
The saddle pack is a little tight around the little one's crotch shall we say :) The rack struts were adjusted to fit the old bike which had more clearance. I have just got some new struts (from a Topeak rack) which are longer so will fit those. these will give more clearance - I think the problem is down to the struts and the seat angle as the bottom mounting point for the rack is 2cm further back from the bottom bracket than on the old bike so in theory should give more clearance (you may notice the rack isn't quite level).

Anyhows, I have done a couple fo rides with my son and he doesn't care!

Stu

#32 ·
When I first saw the Ogre on Surly's website, I knew it was the bike for me. Even the color was perfect. All I had to do was wait patiently for a frameset to be available. But then, while I was waiting, I ran across a 2011 Karate Monkey complete (gray single speed) on closeout for $800. I couldn't pass that up, and it was ALMOST the Ogre that I really wanted... It's a great bike, and I have already added gears and moved the single speed parts to an old frame I had (a 2001 Schwinn Sierra 700 GS). Then I start hearing about the "extra" braze ons on the Ogres and I get to thinking about how I really need both bikes, so I decided to buy a frame as soon as I could find one. But then I started thinking about how the KM and Ogre have the same geometry, and wondering if it makes sense to have two bikes so similar. And I worried that the Ogre/KM chainstays might be a little short for touring. So I gave the Salsa Fargo, which was what I wanted before I saw the Ogre, another look. Then naturally I started comparing it to the Long Haul Trucker and Vaya... All four bikes are so similar but so different. Long story short, I ordered a Fargo frame yesterday. My Ogre build will have to wait for another day.

#33 ·
Oh yeah, I think you're totally on point. Not a whole lot of difference between the pre-2012 KMs and the Ogre. In fact, without any insider knowledge at all, I'll bet Surly stripped down the KM for 2012 because the Ogre sort of carries the torch as the versatile, do everything 29er that the KM used to be. But unless you have a Rolhoff hub or a BOB trailer or a set of old big $ custom touring racks that need braze-ons to mount, the old KM is pretty much the same bike as the Ogre. Aside from the color, of course.

I think you could justify having both an Ogre and KM, especially if you had them set up differently. Say, one SS with a squish fork for singletrack and the other rigid and racked for commuting/touring. But the Fargo is obviously great for any sort of geared riding and KM/Fargo is going to be an awesome combo. You're going to have a fun 2012. :thumbsup:

#34 ·
I agree with Careby. The first time I saw the Ogre I knew I had to have it, but now that I'm counting my pennies and determining what I actually need I think I might just go with the KM even if it is only 60 bucks cheaper. The KM still has eyelets for a rear rack if I need it I just wont have all the Braze-ons on the fork... But looking at the pictures I dont know if I want all of the holes in the fork anyway. I guess when it's all said and done I just want a 29er that I can install full coverage fenders on... But I love that Army Green!!

#35 ·
The Ogre is so far my "dream bike." Rode the Karate Monkey for a few years and ran into one issue after another. The KM is a "do all bike," but! It doesn't do it all well at the same time. The Ogre has saved the day. With one exception, my old front fender doesn't fit up inside the fork, its too narrow. I'll live though. Pretty much, the KM should be discontinued.

#36 · (Edited)
Pretty much, the KM should be discontinued.
Discontinue the granddaddy of 29ers? No way. Have you noticed how the latest trend in 29er geometry is to make the chainstays as short as possible? Which is pretty much what the KM has had since 2004. KM is still a very relavent bike.

(Sorry for the off-topic post)

#38 ·
#42 ·
Got z Ogre!

Hey,
My frame arrived the other day in all its glory! Very nice! The color rocks! I swung by the LBS after work to pick up some parts that I didn't have on hand. Should start assembly this weekend. Some basic info is Mavic 719 wheels, BB7 brakes, Brooks saddle, sweep bars, Truvative crank/BB, Single Speed for now.

A couple of questions:
The badge on my head tube is not sticking down. Since its sort of stiff it wants to peel up on its own. Any suggestions. My apparent options are take it off and fling it somewhere, see if I can glue it with something (3M spray adhesive?), duct tape it on, or have it remade in vinyl and lose the 3D looking plastic. Anyone else battling this?

Also, under the gusset at the top of the down tube there is a void that got missed in the power coat process, just bare steel under there. I guess I'll just mask it off and spray some black paint in there. Unless I'm upside down you won't be able to see it. Other suggestions?

Other than that, this will be a fun machine!
Flat.

#51 ·
Hey,

The badge on my head tube is not sticking down. Since its sort of stiff it wants to peel up on its own. Any suggestions. My apparent options are take it off and fling it somewhere, see if I can glue it with something (3M spray adhesive?), duct tape it on, or have it remade in vinyl and lose the 3D looking plastic. Anyone else battling this?
Shoe Goo? RTV? Some sort of epoxy? Shouldn't be too hard to get it stuck back on. Remove the existing adhesive. I don't think "77" or any of the other 3M sprays would hold it; not 3-D enough for something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.