Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    errrr, i had a Rohloff (again), i tried to love it but couldn't, back to 3 x 10 shimano XT.

however, i didn't love the ESI grips either so i'm running Ergon GC1's, which counteract some of the Jones sweep, + i've added a bit of cut off ESI grip to fill the gap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Rohloff, Son, and Pass and Stowe on last weeks Sub240.
    Ogre Build Thread-2015-03-28-10.39.29.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clayborne View Post
    Rohloff, Son, and Pass and Stowe on last weeks Sub240.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-28 10.39.29.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	979148
    What is the front rack you are running? I have been looking at getting a front rack. Mostly looking at the Salsa DownUnder Rack, or something else pretty minimal. But my friend has an Old Man Mountain Rack that seems super burly, including the price! Thoughts? Opinions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drews256 View Post
    What is the front rack you are running?
    pass and stow racks
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drews256 View Post
    What is the front rack you are running? I have been looking at getting a front rack. Mostly looking at the Salsa DownUnder Rack, or something else pretty minimal. But my friend has an Old Man Mountain Rack that seems super burly, including the price! Thoughts? Opinions?
    Thoughts... They are the best platform rack money can buy (310$ and made in San Francisco). This is my second one (first got stolen). I like them enough to have gotten two so I hope that says something. I used the Surly hardware which dropped a few grams and utilizes the upper rack mounts surly forks have. They hold panniers well enough they have a light mount for a dynamo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clayborne View Post
    Thoughts... They are the best platform rack money can buy .
    Hi,
    could you expand this opinion please?
    I'm more a fan of stainless for racks but always keen to hear others opinions.
    I like the Pass & Stowe racks but question their bang for buck given that they aren't stainless steel and thus will suffer scratched paint and rust.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ogre Build Thread-1-image3-001.jpg
    My beloved Mean-O-GREeno. I've used it as my everyday trail bike, my race bike, my commuter, and now my tourer. This was just before taking it across Utah's West Desert on the Pony Express Trail.

The interesting stuff:
    Stan's Crest wheels (they survived!)
    Bontrager Team XR3 Team Issue TLR tires F and R
    BB7's front and back
    Deore M590 crankset set up 26-36
    SLX 2x10 FD
    XT 10-speed Shadow+ w/ clutch RD
    XT shifters
    XT 11-34 cassette
    Salsa Down Under F rack
    Civia Hyland R rack (didn't end up using it for the trip; jerry-rigged a 22L OR dry bag as a saddle bag)
    Axiom Typhoon 45L bags.
    Not pictured: Jandd frame bag

mtbr member

22" Ogre with Reardrive (Ebike) Build

Ogre Build Thread-image.jpgOgre Build Thread-image.jpg
    22" Ogre with Bafang reardrive Motor 250W

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Ogre 'classic'

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster on this thread.
    Just finished recently with my first Ogre build, so I thought I'd share the results here
    Bike is based on Campagnolo's (fairly rare and, somewhat obsolete) mtb parts, hence the tag 'classic'. Specs are:
    frame: size L (20"),
    headset: threadless Campy Record, oversized, with carbon top nut,
    wheelset: black anodised Weinmann-Alesa double eyeletted (21mm wide) rims laced with stainless spokes onto Campy Icarus hubs front and rear,
    tires: Schwalbe Big Apple, 2.35 in,
    crank: Campy Record O.R. 22-32-44,
    pedals: Campy Euclid/Centaur,
    BB: Campy Veloce (111mm symmetric - yielding a perfect chainline), fairly worn out though, thus waiting for being replaced with same specd' Phil Wood BB,
    cassette: 8sp Campy, pre-exa drive (flippable) cogs, wide range (12-13-15-18-21-24-28-32), assorted by myself by mixing cogs from road and mtb sets I had laying around,
    rear mech: Campy Euclid 7-speed, working well in 8sp index mode (yet, to be replaced soon, with Centaur 8sp rear mech of the same era),
    front mech: top pull Campy Record O.R. (3sp indexed), which - due to its sleek design - also addresses the known clearance issues of front mech cable and rear tire,
    shifters: Campy Centaur thumb shifters (3x8 indexed), hung on a not-so-classic mtb riser bar, though a classic road bar with bar-end versions of the same shifters is under way... ,
    brakes: Campy Record O.R. cantis, operated presently with generic mtb levers until some road specd bars come with Campy adjustable pull ratio road levers and Campy mtb bar end shifters,
    the only Shimano parts I'm planning to keep in use are retro XTR canti shoes with (front and rear aligned) replaceable pads,
    saddle: Sella Anatomica Titanico X, TruLeather version mounted on an OnOne seat post for now - the latter to be replaced with a Campy mtb post I could hunt off eBay, just recently,

Most parts (including the frameset) were bought used on eBay or on various bike related forums over the Internet, I tried to remain on a budget, but also looked for good or 'very good' condition. The headset and the XTR pads/shoes were NOS, though and I bought the saddle new from the manufacturer's web-site (at a discounted price for leather-finish flaws). I have cleaned and relubed everything which needed TLC, and also checked the wheels for trueness and spoke tension. Indeed, I used new brake/shifter-cabels and housings for the build.

Bike have been tested and pictured (sorry for the lower-qual phone cam pics) on a short (light-loaded) tour in Transsylvania, feels and handles just about right, expected to furhter improve with planned changes (see above). I need an upright and not too streched position for neck and upper back (muscle) problems, hence the riser stem and bar - the porteur bars will also be mounted flipped upside.

Pics of the current build are below, pics of the finished build are soon to come. Comments are welcome!

Ogre Build Thread-20150817_121242.jpgOgre Build Thread-20150817_121249.jpgOgre Build Thread-20150817_121300.jpgOgre Build Thread-20150817_121307.jpgOgre Build Thread-20150817_121319.jpgOgre Build Thread-20150817_121328.jpgOgre Build Thread-20150817_121335.jpgOgre Build Thread-20150817_121347.jpg

Did I catch a niner+?
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 10-27-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Finally caught up with my Ogre and camping gear expenditure.
    To celebrate I made a modest order to sjscycles in the UK for some cork Ergon GC1 grips, some spare connecting cables for my E-werk, a polished alloy cap that covers the unused centre lock disk mount and some chrome springs to swap out the black ones on my Brooks Flyer Special saddle.
    Oh and some smaller sized stainless SKS mudguard mounts as the larger ones I used weren't quite right.
    A little painful on the wallet as the Australian dollar has recently sunk on the exchange rates like the US, UK and Euro.

I'll add a pic or two to the thread once the stuff arrives and I've a chance to fit it.
    I'm looking forward to getting some new decent grips on my Jones H-loop bars and the chrome springs are something I've wanted to customise my saddle for a while now.

The inside of the usb connectors of my E-werk cables had gotten rusty after a couple of years ownership and it was nice not to have to replace the whole unit but only a couple of cables.

The polished alloy cap for the centre-lock disk is to protect the Son28 hub of my Extra-wheel trailer and also been on my wish list for a while now.

Pretty much the only things I'm now considering for a wish list is a Fly6 rear light/camera combo and front Go Pro Hero 4 Silver and getting some S&S couplers added to my frame.
    Pretty much a maybe for next years expenditure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i can give the thumbs up to the GC1 on the Jones bar, it works well. i kept a bit of the ESI foam grip to fill in the gaps from the end of the grip to the shifters/brakes, the chunky is a similar diameter to the end of the GC1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    i can give the thumbs up to the GC1 on the Jones bar, it works well. i kept a bit of the ESI foam grip to fill in the gaps from the end of the grip to the shifters/brakes, the chunky is a similar diameter to the end of the GC1.
    Thanks for the info.
    I had Ergon grips (different model) on a previous bike and liked them a lot.
    I think they were GP5's.
    I've not experienced the biocork before but so far I've heard nothing bad with them.
    Time will tell.
    I still love my Jones bars and have no buyers remorse there despite my initial procrastination buying due to worrying about a heart attack at the price.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Phorm G510 Grips | Ergonomic | Anatomic | Phorm
    This is a version similar to the GC1 (Phorm is owned by Ergon), and what I will say is it does not straighten the wrist like a lot of people think. The bend is less that is for sure, but it does put your elbows out vs tucked in.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

likes beer
    I have the cork ergons on my Jones bars. Love em (both)!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by manida View Post
    She's looking good!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Finally caught up with my Ogre and camping gear expenditure.
    To celebrate I made a modest order to sjscycles in the UK for some cork Ergon GC1 grips, some spare connecting cables for my E-werk, a polished alloy cap that covers the unused centre lock disk mount and some chrome springs to swap out the black ones on my Brooks Flyer Special saddle.
    Oh and some smaller sized stainless SKS mudguard mounts as the larger ones I used weren't quite right.
    A little painful on the wallet as the Australian dollar has recently sunk on the exchange rates like the US, UK and Euro.

I'll add a pic or two to the thread once the stuff arrives and I've a chance to fit it.
    I'm looking forward to getting some new decent grips on my Jones H-loop bars and the chrome springs are something I've wanted to customise my saddle for a while now.

The inside of the usb connectors of my E-werk cables had gotten rusty after a couple of years ownership and it was nice not to have to replace the whole unit but only a couple of cables.

The polished alloy cap for the centre-lock disk is to protect the Son28 hub of my Extra-wheel trailer and also been on my wish list for a while now.
    Beginning with the cap for my Extra-wheel trailers Son28 wheel.
    I got this wheel built to basically mirror the build of my Ogre, though instead of the 6 bolt disk I ordered this one arrive with a centre-lock disk arrangement by mistake of the seller.
    The polished cap really makes a difference in that it really keeps the muck away from the seals of the bearing:

My previous bike utilised a Brooks B73 saddle with three chrome springs.
    I've been missing the sparkle of the chrome on my Champion Flyer Special so when I found out I could order some replacement chrome springs, I pulled out the plastic:

I've been lusting after some bio-cork Ergon grips for a while. I had a different model of Ergon on my last bike which I found very comfortable and my shake-down ride of these GC1's suggest I made a good choice for my Jones bar:

Last edited by rifraf; 10-21-2015 at 05:07 PM.

likes beer
    picked up another Ogre yesterday

Bedwards Of The West
    Haven't been in here in a while. Some awesome builds in here. Sometimes I poke around in here looking for inspiration as I ponder the next incarnation for the Ogre... but I can never bring myself to actually change it

I want to go flat bar...singlespeed... hardtail mtb... but I just can't do it. Almost time for new camo handlebar tape though.

Here it is surveying it's kingdom:

Ogre Build Thread-screen-shot-2015-10-26-12.25.57-pm.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They go really well with the colour of your saddle.

Nice!

I'm wondering if you might benefit from a few more blue touches though.

I think Thomson does some different coloured anodised face-plates for their stems which might compliment the crankset ok.

A blue seatpost clamp might work well too.

The crankset is very striking and looks great, if perhaps a little lonely.

Only thinking out loud about my personal preferences in colour and not to be taken as what you should do or personal criticism.

likes beer
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    They go really well with the colour of your saddle.

Nice!

I'm wondering if you might benefit from a few more blue touches though.

I think Thomson does some different coloured anodised face-plates for their stems which might compliment the crankset ok.

A blue seatpost clamp might work well too.

The crankset is very striking and looks great, if perhaps a little lonely.

Only thinking out loud about my personal preferences in colour and not to be taken as what you should do or personal criticism.
    Ha! I actually took off the blue bottle cage and put on a black one this weekend. Im kinda liking the blue just for the crankset only. Of course I may decide to change all that at some point. Im also considering a set of brown Schwalbe Big Bens. Unsure.

mtbr member
    My humble Ogre- 2015 in super size!!

Added Halo FreeedomDisc wheels and Continental tires
    Set of Straitline pedals
    Thompson post and Koobi saddle

Ordering new lights tonight and some other small stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogre Build Thread-20151102_142512.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-20151030_154551.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-ogre1.jpg  

2013 Cannondale Trail SL1 29er Jumbo
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL

likes beer
    Ha! I actually took off the blue bottle cage and put on a black one this weekend. Im kinda liking the blue just for the crankset only. Of course I may decide to change all that at some point. Im also considering a set of brown Schwalbe Big Bens. Unsure.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think I'm done with the base build on this. Full deore with exception of the hubs. I'm going to leave the steerer tube long untill I spend some ride time with it. I started with a traditional style front derailleur but didn't like how far out the cable stuck (see the last pic). I put on a direct mount today. Much cleaner.

This might be good if you have to run fenders:

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My build thus far. I started with a m611 dual pull clamp mount FD but changed it to the direct mount after I saw the cable clearance. I'm gonna leave the steerer tub uncut until I put some miles on it. I like the uprightedness so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaben View Post
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster on this thread.
    Just finished recently with my first Ogre build, so I thought I'd share the results here
    Bike is based on Campagnolo's (fairly rare and, somewhat obsolete) mtb parts, hence the tag 'classic'. Specs are:
    frame: size L (20"),
    headset: threadless Campy Record, oversized, with carbon top nut,
    wheelset: black anodised Weinmann-Alesa double eyeletted (21mm wide) rims laced with stainless spokes onto Campy Icarus hubs front and rear,
    tires: Schwalbe Big Apple, 2.35 in,
    crank: Campy Record O.R. 22-32-44,
    pedals: Campy Euclid/Centaur,
    BB: Campy Veloce (111mm symmetric - yielding a perfect chainline), fairly worn out though, thus waiting for being replaced with same specd' Phil Wood BB,
    cassette: 8sp Campy, pre-exa drive (flippable) cogs, wide range (12-13-15-18-21-24-28-32), assorted by myself by mixing cogs from road and mtb sets I had laying around,
    rear mech: Campy Euclid 7-speed, working well in 8sp index mode (yet, to be replaced soon, with Centaur 8sp rear mech of the same era),
    front mech: top pull Campy Record O.R. (3sp indexed), which - due to its sleek design - also addresses the known clearance issues of front mech cable and rear tire,
    shifters: Campy Centaur thumb shifters (3x8 indexed), hung on a not-so-classic mtb riser bar, though a classic road bar with bar-end versions of the same shifters is under way... ,
    brakes: Campy Record O.R. cantis, operated presently with generic mtb levers until some road specd bars come with Campy adjustable pull ratio road levers and Campy mtb bar end shifters,
    the only Shimano parts I'm planning to keep in use are retro XTR canti shoes with (front and rear aligned) replaceable pads,
    saddle: Sella Anatomica Titanico X, TruLeather version mounted on an OnOne seat post for now - the latter to be replaced with a Campy mtb post I could hunt off eBay, just recently,

Most parts (including the frameset) were bought used on eBay or on various bike related forums over the Internet, I tried to remain on a budget, but also looked for good or 'very good' condition. The headset and the XTR pads/shoes were NOS, though and I bought the saddle new from the manufacturer's web-site (at a discounted price for leather-finish flaws). I have cleaned and relubed everything which needed TLC, and also checked the wheels for trueness and spoke tension. Indeed, I used new brake/shifter-cabels and housings for the build.

Bike have been tested and pictured (sorry for the lower-qual phone cam pics) on a short (light-loaded) tour in Transsylvania, feels and handles just about right, expected to furhter improve with planned changes (see above). I need an upright and not too streched position for neck and upper back (muscle) problems, hence the riser stem and bar - the porteur bars will also be mounted flipped upside.

Pics of the current build are below, pics of the finished build are soon to come. Comments are welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150817_121242.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	1012387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150817_121249.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	1012388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150817_121300.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	1012389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150817_121307.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	1012390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150817_121319.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1012391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150817_121328.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	1012392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150817_121335.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	1012393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150817_121347.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	1012394
    This bike is amazing. That's the most unique build I've seen in a long time. Very well done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

-

- double post - sorry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogre Build Thread-dsc02611-2-1.jpg  

Last edited by gdabw; 01-15-2016 at 12:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I assume you built this from a frameset or switched out a lot of the stock parts since it's a single-speed...are you planning to change the crankset arms eventually? I love the blue, but it would look very refined with silver or black.

I liked this build so much I mentioned it to someone who is about to order a tan Ogre.

Out of curiosity, what crankset and cog gearing did you use? I built up a Krampus with 32 X 19. I'm at sea-level and sometimes take it on dunes through a maritime forest. Got lucky and guessed right. Seems about perfect. I haven't had a single speed since I rode a used Schwinn Stingray in 1976.

likes beer
    yes, build up from a frameset......and I like the blue!

Im currently running 32/17, which is a bit low but helps my fatazz get up the hills here in the OTHER mile high city...Albuquerque, NM

newest addition

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm the person Muirenn mentioned your tan Ogre to, on another forum. Is that tan a repaint, or is it an older color? It looks terrific, but not very much like the Tanish Grey I saw.

I lived in ABQ for seven years, and I miss it. Ride the Sandias!
    Last edited by ZoneFive; 01-15-2016 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    yes, build up from a frameset......and I like the blue!

Im currently running 32/17, which is a bit low but helps my fatazz get up the hills here in the OTHER mile high city...Albuquerque, NM

newest addition
    I think the blue is cool, too. I was judging from your response to someone mentioning more, thought maybe it was temporary.

My dad is from Albuquerque, and I lived there for a few years when I was very young. Loved it! Wouldn't mind living there. What is it like now?

likes beer
    Its a 2014 tanish grey ogre. Crappy pic.

I think Albq has gotten better and better since I moved here in 2001. Same old problems, but lots of improvements. Craft beer scene has exploded. This is my ride to and from the breweries and the occasional commute

Ive got a Jamis for the sandias

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Its a 2014 tanish grey ogre. Crappy pic.
    Well, it looks pretty great in the photos, and I actually like your tan better. I'll probably go with the Tanish Grey too, and if I don't get to liking in it in a year or so I'll get a repaint. Thanks for your response!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gdabw View Post
    - double post - sorry
    Nice looking Ogre by the way.

InternationalManofMystery
    May 2016

Ogre with Rohloff - convert XT chainset to single?

Hi - Newbie on this forum but recently picked up an Ogre frame in the UK to build up. I've also got a used Rohloff hub to use and hopefully will build that up with a front dynamo hub on tubeless Mavic EN-421 29er rims.

I don't see too many tubeless setups in this very long thread (and yes, I have read from start to end). Any reasons? I've another "adventure" bike (a custom build) and found the only issue was finding smaller-size off-road tubeless tires as it didn't really offer huge clearances. I settled on Schwalbe One 50mm CX tires and they have been great so far (on Stan's rims).

A couple of questions if anyone is still watching this thread - not too many drop bars, as I plan to run. With the Rohloff, the stock shifter fits 22.2mm bars (and options are hugely expensive) so fits best on flat bars, but I want to run drops, so it's either the Soma Gator or the On-One Midge with a clamp-on adapter for the shifter. BTW - those with Titec J bars and wanting the Jones"Loop" complete front cross - you can buy a length of tubing (even in stainless steel) for a few bucks tat will slide over the subs and complete the bar (cut slots on each end and clamp with hose clamps).

I've got a spare 9-speed XT MTB chainset/bb (44/32/22 from memory) so I'm considering starting with that for a crankset and removing rings/adding spacers to get the Rohloff chainline right - any suggestions? Thanks!

likes beer
    couple of changes in the Ogre lineup

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i really want one of those jones handlebar bags...looks pretty slick...

mtbr member
    I want one also! Nice set ups manida - I'm ditching the wide mountain bike tires on my Halo rims and going with a 700c tire for my white pine trail ride - 85+ miles one way..
    Any good suggestions guys? 38-40-42-47 wide?
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the wtb nano40 is a nice tire,fast rolling but good traction,the 2.1 is also good and a bit more plush..

mtbr member
    It came with the 2.1s but want more of a pavement/gravel road tire for the trip and running around town. I've got Conti's 2.4 and 2.2 on the stock wheelset for trails
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Here's a build I did for my wife. She'll be using her Ogre for pretty much anything and everything.

Anyone interested in the details can head out to Building a Surly Ogre: Back to Basics

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ACosta View Post
    Here's a build I did for my wife. She'll be using her Ogre for pretty much anything and everything.

Anyone interested in the details can head out to Building a Surly Ogre: Back to Basics

Nice! He red with tan looks surprisingly classy.
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789