Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yakyai View Post
    If anybody else has tried an Ogre build with a 48 T outer chainring (on a 48-36-26), I'd love to hear your experience. If its' definitely problematic, I'll just exchange it straight away.

Thanks for your advice.
    When I built up my Ogre I checked out how my old 48/36/26 Deore crankset (outboard bb style) fit--it was fine, I woulda had no concerns about running that but I bought it to be an SS.

My current experiment is a SRAM x9 crankset w/ removable spider. I swapped the 36/29 120/4 arm spider for SRAM's 110/5 arm spider.
    I was surprised that the 47t clears the chainstay (I dunno that I'd risk running it with a front derailleur tho). I roughly measured chainline at about 52-53mm.
    I'm hoping a 34t clears on the inner position so I can have commuter and xc SS gearing with a chain swap. I don't have a 34t to test yet, tho.

mtbr member
    Just installed a Salsa Minimalist rack on my Ogre last night. Shakedown ride to commence after work today.

Several weeks ago I decided it would be fun to take my oldest daughter (2.5) home on Fridays with the Ogre and Chariot. This is week 6 and I think she loves it as much as I do.(I'm sure the playground stop and fruit snacks have nothing to do with it ) I don't think there is a better bike for pulling the Chariot. The big flat dropout is a strong stable platform to attach the hitch. I also really enjoy the extra control of wide flat bars over drop bars. This bike invites use and it does everything I've tried with it very well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ianick: Do you attach the Chariot to your rear axle? I can't imaging something that small would withstand the torque applied by pulling a trailer for so long. The mechanics of the axle is to simply put pressure across the rear hub between the stays. I was hoping to use the spot designed for trailer attachments, but the Burley forged hit bumps into the rear axle nut.

mtbr member
    I do use the rear axle to tow the Chariot. Initially I was going to use a M10 screw hole but have since decided to mount Bob Nutz there(Trail work beckons!). I understand what your saying, seems that would be a high stress area. However a thick piece of 4130 steel like the one used on the Ogre dropout has incredible strength. I wouldn't worry too much about it. And if I did worry I would just email Surly. Think I'll do that now anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks JordyB and ianick for the thoughts on how on attaching a Burley. I'm unable to post a photo until I reach 10 posts.
    Last edited by Tom-Ogre-2011; 09-28-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Attempted to attach image; was not at 10 posts yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Surley Ogre, Cascadia Rear Fender

Hi, has anyone else encountered an issue with their front derailleur rubbing against their rear fender? I've built up an 18" sized Ogre with SRAM X7 group and I have Mavic CrossRide wheels with Kenda SB8 tires. There's barley 1.5" of space between the tire and back of the front derailleur. I'm wondering if it is okay to have the rear fender rub against the front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

48/36/26 works great

Visited my LBS where the Ogre build is happening, pickup tomorrow. The 48/36/26 Deore XT crankset works fine. One space, plenty of clearance. Can't post pic as I have not reached 10 posts yet (1 more down), clearance is not an issue at all. I'll report on spinouts if I can after test ride tomorrow, though few hills here in Bangkok to try it out on.

Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess View Post
    When I built up my Ogre I checked out how my old 48/36/26 Deore crankset (outboard bb style) fit--it was fine, I woulda had no concerns about running that but I bought it to be an SS.

My current experiment is a SRAM x9 crankset w/ removable spider. I swapped the 36/29 120/4 arm spider for SRAM's 110/5 arm spider.
    I was surprised that the 47t clears the
    Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess View Post
    chainstay (I dunno that I'd risk running it with a front derailleur tho). I roughly measured chainline at about 52-53mm.
    I'm hoping a 34t clears on the inner position so I can have commuter and xc SS gearing with a chain swap. I don't have a 34t to test yet, tho.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Ogre-2011 View Post
    Hi, has anyone else encountered an issue with their front derailleur rubbing against their rear fender? I've built up an 18" sized Ogre with SRAM X7 group and I have Mavic CrossRide wheels with Kenda SB8 tires. There's barley 1.5" of space between the tire and back of the front derailleur. I'm wondering if it is okay to have the rear fender rub against the front derailleur.
    My cascadia fender doesn't touch my Shimano XT front derailleur. the fender does rub the cable a bit (the bare cable between the housing stop and the derailleur itself), but it doesn't cause any issues. I avoided contact by putting a spacer between the fender and the frame at the bottom mounting point...pushing the fender back closer to the tire at the lowest point. This worked with 2.35 Big Apples. I spaced it back maybe 1/2 inch.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    hi guys

I want to build an Ogre for heavy off-road trip
    what is the BB height of the Ogre?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Thanks JordyB and ianick for the thoughts on how on attaching a Burley. I'm unable to post a photo until I reach 10 posts.
    Here is what I did:
    Found an older Buley hitch, cut it and used a low profile m10x1.0 bolt. Works great. Tight clearances but adequate.
    ScottOgre Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349274598.860493.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

My Ogre Build - 2012

Hi all. I trawled this thread quite a bit while doing research, so here's an album of my build in return.

My Surly Ogre put together mainly for road: imgur.com/a/5d1qs

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    Here is what I did:
    Found an older Buley hitch, cut it and used a low profile m10x1.0 bolt. Works great. Tight clearances but adequate.
    ScottClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349274598.860493.jpg 
Views:	1290 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	728098
    Damian808: This is a great solution. I have my Burley Hitch attached to the same m10x1.0 area, but I have it spaced away from the frame to clear the axle nut. Where did you locate a low profile m10x1.0 bolt? Do you have a lock nut on the other side? I'm not at 10 posts yet, otherwise I'd post pictures of my work around. Now I just need to find an old style hitch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Damian808: This is a great solution. I have my Burley Hitch attached to the same m10x1.0 area, but I have it spaced away from the frame to clear the axle nut. Where did you locate a low profile m10x1.0 bolt? Do you have a lock nut on the other side? I'm not at 10 posts yet, otherwise I'd post pictures of my work around. Now I just need to find an old style hitch.
    I think you're referring to the post above mine, just fyi...

Also, I haven't made 10 posts either (this is my second), I just removed the http from the URL to my album and it let me post.

mtbr member
    I got the bolt from a shop in the uk. It was a ridiculous quest. I can't remember what the intent of the bolt was OEM. It was possibly part of a chain tensioner.

No nut on back, just some lock-tite.

Good luck finding an old style hitch. I noticed a friend had one on their bike and offered to swap them for a new one. Prior to that I hadn't ever seen one for sale. I searched medal shops for u channel and considered bending flat stock. I had saved searches on eBay and trolled various online classifieds. Keep a new one in your pocket and be ready to swap if you ever see one.

I have to post more pictures. I think my Ogre has reached an apex for me. That is a very rare occurrence for my tinkering nature. It is so perfect for what I am doing. It does daily commute work and once carried a 12-pack, three 6-packs and two 1.75l bottles of spirits home from the store.
    Cheers to the Ogres

Cheesiest
    Gawd damnit

I thought I finally had a bike that I was satisfied with (Voodoo Bokor 29). Now I'm wanting an ogre....grrrr!

BTW-Nice bikes!
    Last edited by intheways; 11-26-2012 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well the Rabbit Hole / Knard combo doesn't fit in the rear... But I am thinking a Rabbit Hole / Ardent 2.4 might be a good 'soft condition' combo
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ogre is mostly built - need a front derailleur to finish the drivetrain. Salsa stem and Bend 2 bar are on their way to the LBS also (bar/stem shown are spare parts)

Pretty stoked on this bike, my Vaya was a fantastic bike but I'm looking forward to having even more options now on what I use this bike for!
    Last edited by LostBoyScout; 12-01-2012 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    New Ogre, in the house. well almost, still at the LBS, but first test ride today. so for the Ogre nerds/fans out there here's the saga so far. waited about 8 months after ordering the frame for the 24 to come into Canada. so what else is new. sat on it until the rainy season began and my favourite LBS had time to put up with my puttering questioning ways. the purpose of the bike is to replace my classic touring bike of about 15 years (it will be sad to part with it, one too many bikes though) with a bike that is a great commuter with big fenders (and no toe overlap), as well as a bike that can be used for back country road touring, and maybe full back country mtn bike touring, what the hip kids call bikepacking. so the build priorities were frugal, but quality and durability to the multiple tasks. i trust my LBS with advice and cost issues, but as ardent mtn bikers like myself, they definitely steered me to the higher end components. one thing i was keen on was a cool aesthetic (otherwise, the Ogre is really a hybrid right?) and i saw a picture of an early Ogre build with red Velocity Blunt wheels, and it was stunning. so i had a pair of anodized red Blunt's built up with double butted spokes on Hope hubs. the rationale of the hubs (spendier than i wanted) was that they could adapt to any axle style, including the 20mm and 12mm on my mtn bike. ultimately, they fit my 37mm road tires well, but will readily accept the biggest mtn bike tires and can convert to a high end wheelset for my mtn bike. an expensive but nifty proposition.

the drivetrain is mostly Shimano SLX as well as the brakes, very nice stuff. i'll try the triple as is, and if it requires a couple of bigger rings, i'll cross that bridge later. i got a good price on these bits as they came off of a stock mtn bike that was stripped for a higher spec that the client already had. originally i was going to go with cable brakes like everyone else, but again my 'bike advisor' convinced me that i would much prefer the power and modulation of the hydraulics i'm accustomed to, especially loaded in the mountains. again, a price jump. and that's a 7 inch rotor in front.

topped off with a Thompson post, and a flat bar off my old mtn bike (i'd like to try bar ends) i'll play with stem length as per usual. in the end this will have been a pretty spendy bike, more than i wished, but it will also be a material step up from the stock offering, and hopefully a high performance, durable and slick riding rig for all terrain.

i know, i know, all a pack of lies without photos right? stay tuned.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hope hubs are fantastic - adaptable, easily rebuilt, should last forever. They sure are noisy though - which I don't mind, but I can appreciate why some would.

I am debating on whether to order a full X.7 2x10 drivetrain right now for mine - all I need is a FD to get rolling, but would be a lot higher performance than my current 2x8 setup with Thumbies...

mtbr member
    Ogre Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354774733.178962.jpg
    Ogre Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354774801.788500.jpg

Here is my pretty much done build.
    8 speed Nexus red band
    Surly Open Bar flat.
    SKS Fenders and chain guard
    Ogre Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354774772.195221.jpg
    Ogre Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354774893.211502.jpg
    Minoura Gamoh King Carrier Rear Basket
    -Mounted on the front and enhanced to increase load potential. It is rated a 40# but I wanted a larger safety margin to carry my 26# daughter. It turned out well and I like the long skinny orientation of the rear carrier instead of the wide front basket style.
    Ogre Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354775165.399035.jpg
    750l light, wicked bright.
    Another veiw of rack mount.
    The cargo straps are Rox Straps they are great, part bungie cord, part strap. Good for precious cargo.
    Obligatory bottle opener

Cheesiest
    Cool bike! What size did you go for?
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    18".
    I forgot to post the kickstand top plate I made. The greenfield and pletcher ones I tried didn't work. I'll do that post some other time.

mtbr member
    Ogre Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354811924.027465.jpg
    Angle iron, cut to fit, painted with rattle can. Rubber mastic on bottom.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For Ogres who like to do the pannier thing, has anyone had problems with heel strike?

Currently have a surly LHT, great bike, but tempted to go down the discs and hub gear route and worried the panniers might be an issue. The LHT has 460mm chainstays and the rack bolts right at the end, the Ogre has 430 but i think thats to the front of the slot dropout. Does anyone know the length of the dropout or, even better, the distance from BB to pannier mount.

Ta,
    Rich.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My setup is on page 4 of this thread, post 96. I don't run huge paniers in the rear, but with the surly rack, heel strike has not been any issue at all.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast