Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ogre Build Thread

201K views 458 replies 119 participants last post by  Muirenn 
#1 ·
Didn't mean to mislead anyone! ;)

I've been Googling "Surly Ogre Build" for a week now, waiting for someone to show one off. Finally found one:

Surly Ogre Winterproof'd from Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop.

I know nothing about Salvagetti and live nowhere near Denver, but that's a nice looking build and they have some other Surly bikes on their site.

I'm considering moving the complete setup from my Commuter Monkey to an Ogre frame.

Anyone else have an Ogre built up?

#149 ·
Attach a Burley to a Surly Ogre

Hi, I'm finishing up my Surly Ogre build (build was actually done by a good friend, more reassembly) and I'm wondering what people recommend on how to best attach a Burley. There seems to be a handful of options. I'm leaning toward bolting the quick release bracket using one of the bolts and holes designed for attaching a trailer. Appreciate the thoughts. I'll post complete build specs soon with a photo.

#152 ·
Just installed a Salsa Minimalist rack on my Ogre last night. Shakedown ride to commence after work today.

Several weeks ago I decided it would be fun to take my oldest daughter (2.5) home on Fridays with the Ogre and Chariot. This is week 6 and I think she loves it as much as I do.(I'm sure the playground stop and fruit snacks have nothing to do with it:) ) I don't think there is a better bike for pulling the Chariot. The big flat dropout is a strong stable platform to attach the hitch. I also really enjoy the extra control of wide flat bars over drop bars. This bike invites use and it does everything I've tried with it very well.

#153 ·
ianick: Do you attach the Chariot to your rear axle? I can't imaging something that small would withstand the torque applied by pulling a trailer for so long. The mechanics of the axle is to simply put pressure across the rear hub between the stays. I was hoping to use the spot designed for trailer attachments, but the Burley forged hit bumps into the rear axle nut.

#154 ·
I do use the rear axle to tow the Chariot. Initially I was going to use a M10 screw hole but have since decided to mount Bob Nutz there(Trail work beckons!). I understand what your saying, seems that would be a high stress area. However a thick piece of 4130 steel like the one used on the Ogre dropout has incredible strength. I wouldn't worry too much about it. And if I did worry I would just email Surly. Think I'll do that now anyways.

#156 ·
Surley Ogre, Cascadia Rear Fender

Hi, has anyone else encountered an issue with their front derailleur rubbing against their rear fender? I've built up an 18" sized Ogre with SRAM X7 group and I have Mavic CrossRide wheels with Kenda SB8 tires. There's barley 1.5" of space between the tire and back of the front derailleur. I'm wondering if it is okay to have the rear fender rub against the front derailleur.

#158 ·
Hi, has anyone else encountered an issue with their front derailleur rubbing against their rear fender? I've built up an 18" sized Ogre with SRAM X7 group and I have Mavic CrossRide wheels with Kenda SB8 tires. There's barley 1.5" of space between the tire and back of the front derailleur. I'm wondering if it is okay to have the rear fender rub against the front derailleur.
My cascadia fender doesn't touch my Shimano XT front derailleur. the fender does rub the cable a bit (the bare cable between the housing stop and the derailleur itself), but it doesn't cause any issues. I avoided contact by putting a spacer between the fender and the frame at the bottom mounting point...pushing the fender back closer to the tire at the lowest point. This worked with 2.35 Big Apples. I spaced it back maybe 1/2 inch.

#167 · (Edited)
Ogre is mostly built - need a front derailleur to finish the drivetrain. Salsa stem and Bend 2 bar are on their way to the LBS also (bar/stem shown are spare parts)

Pretty stoked on this bike, my Vaya was a fantastic bike but I'm looking forward to having even more options now on what I use this bike for!

#168 ·
New Ogre, in the house. well almost, still at the LBS, but first test ride today. so for the Ogre nerds/fans out there here's the saga so far. waited about 8 months after ordering the frame for the 24 to come into Canada. so what else is new. sat on it until the rainy season began and my favourite LBS had time to put up with my puttering questioning ways. the purpose of the bike is to replace my classic touring bike of about 15 years (it will be sad to part with it, one too many bikes though) with a bike that is a great commuter with big fenders (and no toe overlap), as well as a bike that can be used for back country road touring, and maybe full back country mtn bike touring, what the hip kids call bikepacking. so the build priorities were frugal, but quality and durability to the multiple tasks. i trust my LBS with advice and cost issues, but as ardent mtn bikers like myself, they definitely steered me to the higher end components. one thing i was keen on was a cool aesthetic (otherwise, the Ogre is really a hybrid right?) and i saw a picture of an early Ogre build with red Velocity Blunt wheels, and it was stunning. so i had a pair of anodized red Blunt's built up with double butted spokes on Hope hubs. the rationale of the hubs (spendier than i wanted) was that they could adapt to any axle style, including the 20mm and 12mm on my mtn bike. ultimately, they fit my 37mm road tires well, but will readily accept the biggest mtn bike tires and can convert to a high end wheelset for my mtn bike. an expensive but nifty proposition.

the drivetrain is mostly Shimano SLX as well as the brakes, very nice stuff. i'll try the triple as is, and if it requires a couple of bigger rings, i'll cross that bridge later. i got a good price on these bits as they came off of a stock mtn bike that was stripped for a higher spec that the client already had. originally i was going to go with cable brakes like everyone else, but again my 'bike advisor' convinced me that i would much prefer the power and modulation of the hydraulics i'm accustomed to, especially loaded in the mountains. again, a price jump. and that's a 7 inch rotor in front.

topped off with a Thompson post, and a flat bar off my old mtn bike (i'd like to try bar ends) i'll play with stem length as per usual. in the end this will have been a pretty spendy bike, more than i wished, but it will also be a material step up from the stock offering, and hopefully a high performance, durable and slick riding rig for all terrain.

i know, i know, all a pack of lies without photos right? stay tuned.....

#169 ·
Hope hubs are fantastic - adaptable, easily rebuilt, should last forever. They sure are noisy though - which I don't mind, but I can appreciate why some would.

I am debating on whether to order a full X.7 2x10 drivetrain right now for mine - all I need is a FD to get rolling, but would be a lot higher performance than my current 2x8 setup with Thumbies...

#170 ·
Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle Bicycle accessory

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Bicycle part

Here is my pretty much done build.
8 speed Nexus red band
Surly Open Bar flat.
SKS Fenders and chain guard
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle accessory

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Minoura Gamoh King Carrier Rear Basket
-Mounted on the front and enhanced to increase load potential. It is rated a 40# but I wanted a larger safety margin to carry my 26# daughter. It turned out well and I like the long skinny orientation of the rear carrier instead of the wide front basket style.
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

750l light, wicked bright.
Another veiw of rack mount.
The cargo straps are Rox Straps they are great, part bungie cord, part strap. Good for precious cargo.
Obligatory bottle opener

#174 ·
For Ogres who like to do the pannier thing, has anyone had problems with heel strike?

Currently have a surly LHT, great bike, but tempted to go down the discs and hub gear route and worried the panniers might be an issue. The LHT has 460mm chainstays and the rack bolts right at the end, the Ogre has 430 but i think thats to the front of the slot dropout. Does anyone know the length of the dropout or, even better, the distance from BB to pannier mount.

Ta,
Rich.

#177 ·
finally some pics of the new Ogre. see previous posting a page or so back for detail. VO stainless fenders to come soon, and i'll dabble with the use of bar ends and maybe different stem options. at this point, i need to get out and ride to sort out the feel but the short one's i've had are good as it stands. weather hasn't cooperated for any decent length ride. leaning towards a Tubus rack, but we'll see based on the best fit options. opinions? i was heading off to work, hence the funny look and unfortunately, not by bike, but taking advantage of a sunny break. this is a 24" bike, i'm 6.5 long legs. if anyone is interested, i'll take photos with fenders, etc.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.