Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok Lunger, I got questions . . .

What pedals are running? They look cool.

Is your BOB as close to the back tire as it looks? Could you run a bigger tire if you needed/wanted to?

I like the front rack, you could put a pizza on there!

How's life with your IGH? Is it a good fit with the Ogre? What hub is it? What is your tooth count on the front ring?

Nice rig!! I like the green, same color as mine!!

KMRIA
    flatfendershop:

No pizza on the rack yet...beer, books, groceries and the occasional person. Great racks:

CETMA Cargo bikes CETMA Racks

The old man mountain rack is great as well...I put a nitto campee on from another bike but the BOB wouldn't clear the struts that came straight back. The rack is pricey but it is very rigid, it doesn't seem to sway as much as the cro-mo rack.

The pedals are shimano A530s,..they are nice, a much larger platform than the M324s I have been running since they released them.

The hub is an alfine 8 speed.w/a 23t cog. I'm running a 39t chainring up front. I have some hills in my commute and I tend to spin quite a bit. I could actually use a bit lower gear but this will do for now...it works well.

I could run a bit bigger tire than I am now...but not by much. The lower strut on the BOB has about 1/4" of clearance, the top a bit more. I'm running 700x40 schwalbe duremes. I have the original fork that came w/the trailer...my understanding is the newer ones provide more clearance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That looks like the 26" wheel 'fork' for the Bob, they do a 29er one that clears 29x2.4" tyres with enough clearance to pass a small marching band through :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the info, its a good looking setup. I like utility.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Just built up my 20" Ogre Wed and rode it quickly for an hour last night.

For people wondering about sizing....I'm 5'11.5" w/ 88 cm true inseam and a 79 cm saddle height. 20" frame is perfect for me...great reach and plenty of standover.

Complete stock build except the Titec H-Bars. Slight uphill slope for the pics and the saddle is actually level
    Ogre

Clearance pic for FD w/ Exiwolfs and Monkey Nuts in place
    Ogre FD

Cockpit...wish they had stuck with the Microshift Thumbies they showed at Interbike.
    Ogre h-bar

Probably many changes to come. Some sort of thumb shifter most likely, and maybe a conversion to a smaller bottom pull road front derailleur via Problem Solvers gadget.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    First post, figured I put up my just-completed (well, a few other bits and baubles to come) Ogre build:

Nitto Moustache bar w/ cork under Avenir cloth
    Modolo levers
    Salsa stem
    WTB headset
    Suntour Barcon shifters
    Suntour XC derailleurs (XCD and XC LTD)
    Sachs freewheel
    Suntour XC Pro canti brakes
    Custom fabricated rear brake cable hanger system
    Suntour XC Pro GreaseGuard hubs
    Sun Rims 0deg rims w/DT spokes
    Suntour XC Pro GreaseGuard BB
    SR Crank
    Woodman seat post
    Brooks Champion Special saddle
    Schwalbe Big Apple tires

This bike will see most use blazing around town, local dirt roads and cowpaths, logging roads and National Forest "roads", all while hauling kids in a trailer, or the tag-a-long and trailer in series. Super comfy, handles great! The rear brake was a real trick. My local weird-bike genius custom-fabricated a plate and cable housing stop system to allow for sufficient cable travel to use my XC Pro rear canti brake on this 16" frame. I will post up pics of the custom-fab bits later.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    That looks like the 26" wheel 'fork' for the Bob, they do a 29er one that clears 29x2.4" tyres with enough clearance to pass a small marching band through :-)
    My Bob is called the 'Yak 28', which is their way of saying "29"

I did a tour with it using 2.35 Big Apples and Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, with no issues. On a different bike, but same wheelset and fenders as I'm now using on my Ogre. There is plenty of clearance with Bob's "28" fork.

I haven't posted my ogre in this thread, so here's my ogre... inspired by the first few pages of this thread...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogre Build Thread-picture1.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    First post, figured I put up my just-completed (well, a few other bits and baubles to come) Ogre build:

Modolo levers
    Salsa stem
    WTB headset
    Suntour Barcon shifters
    Sachs freewheel
    SR Crank
    Woodman seat post
    Schwalbe Big Apple tires

This bike will see most use blazing around town, local dirt roads and cowpaths, logging roads and National Forest "roads", all while hauling kids in a trailer, or the tag-a-long and trailer in series. Super comfy, handles great! The rear brake was a real trick. My local weird-bike genius custom-fabricated a plate and cable housing stop system to allow for sufficient cable travel to use my XC Pro rear canti brake on this 16" frame. I will post up pics of the custom-fab bits later.
    That is beautiful, Man! Forget the LHT in wanna Ogre!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    My Bob is called the 'Yak 28', which is their way of saying "29"

I did a tour with it using 2.35 Big Apples and Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, with no issues. On a different bike, but same wheelset and fenders as I'm now using on my Ogre. There is plenty of clearance with Bob's "28" fork.

I haven't posted my ogre in this thread, so here's my ogre... inspired by the first few pages of this thread...
    Very cool!

The Ogre might be my next bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Love that Old Skool Ogre with the mustache bars and cantilever brakes! I know everybody loves to bag on canti's, but they are just so classy. Nice work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger View Post
    Very cool!

The Ogre might be my next bike...
    Same here. This thread somehow injected must get a "Surly Ogre commuter"-bike in to my mind

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post

Modolo levers
    Salsa stem
    WTB headset
    Suntour Barcon shifters
    Sachs freewheel
    SR Crank
    Woodman seat post
    Schwalbe Big Apple tires
    Sweet. I also love the 29er Big Apples.

Not gonna lie though, it'd be 200% more awesomer with a silver seatpost and bar tape to match the saddle. Black like you've got, or brown/honey. Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm officialy drinking the Ogre Kool-Aid. Got a frame on the way..
    Last edited by Dirty Tiger; 06-19-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    My Ogre green with envy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Love that Old Skool Ogre with the mustache bars and cantilever brakes! I know everybody loves to bag on canti's, but they are just so classy. Nice work.
    I plan to blatantly steel copy the mustache bar idea. I already have a pair laying around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've been looking at pics but can't tell what size Big Apples people are running with front derailleurs... will the 2.35's fit on the stock build?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    With monkey nuts all the way forward and an shimano fd-770, the 2.35 apples have just enough clearance for the PB 60mm 29er fender.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How do the 2.35 Big Apples handle on gravel and dirt?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    With monkey nuts all the way forward and an shimano fd-770, the 2.35 apples have just enough clearance for the PB 60mm 29er fender.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

unusual front rack lunger

Lunger, I was intrigued by your front rack, is that home grown or available somewhere...

Regards

JV
    MIa FL

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger View Post
    How do the 2.35 Big Apples handle on gravel and dirt?
    Very well for a slick tire. Wouldn't use them as dedicated trail tires, but they handle dirt, gravel and sand pretty well.

KMRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by jvossman View Post
    Lunger, I was intrigued by your front rack, is that home grown or available somewhere...

Regards

JV
    MIa FL
    It is a CETMA 5-Rail made in Oregon:

CETMA Cargo bikes CETMA Racks

GREAT racks, I've loaded them and overloaded them (I have a 7-rail on my old Schwinn Cruiser)...they take a beating. The constraint is the weight effecting the bike handling not the rack capacity. Gives me flashbacks to my days as a paperboy.

I did customize the rack slightly to take advantage of the fork braze-ons. The rack is designed to mount w/the axle bolts which I am not a fan of. Not a big deal when the front wheel rarely comes off (such as on my cruiser) but something of a pain when that is not the case (such as on the ogre). One end of the strut comes w/a fork end on it, I just clipped it and drilled a hole.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy horseshoes View Post
    Just picked the Ogre up this past weekend from Maplewood Bicycle and haven't gotten around to riding it off-road yet. The Jones loop bar seems very nice and comfy.

The build is a mix of new components and some other pieces from my salsa dos niner tear down. The brake lines still need chopped down and the bar needs taped in place of the grips. Going to get fit up better so the stem height/length is in limbo right now.

Build
    --18" medium ogre
    --Full XT kit, 2x10, 26/38 rings - the brake levers are sweet and feel terrific.
    --thomson post (prior)
    --selle italia slr (prior) - may get the boot for something more 'long haul'
    --eggbeaters (prior)
    --bontrager race wheels (new off my sf100)
    --surly nice rack (beef! pretty sure I could tow a guy holding a 30 pack back there)
    --bob nutz for a dedicated hitch zone for the bob trailer
    --ritchey speed max cross tires for the gravel and lightweight xc trails
    --not shown - brooks leather bar tape
    --planet x bike fenders (wide to run full xc tires - I want options)

Final weight came in at 30.5lb - not too bad considering the rack. The build ended up costing a bit more than the stock offering but I selected everything I wanted and am happy how it turned out.

I already had a KM and had been thinking about getting an around gravel/trail/tourer/ do it all camper and when I heard about the Ogre and the fact it has the same geometry, I was sold. It took a bit of effort for the shop to source one - they seem to be in high demand at the moment. Maplewood Bicycle here in St. Louis did a great job and are very easy to deal with.

This bike is my trail maintenance army machine, back 40 adventurer and gravel grinder tour bus. Quite the opposite of the Superfly hundy but just as much fun.

Here's some blurry camphone pics.

There's a lot going on here.... Bob nutz attachment, fender, disk brake, rack, chainstay caliper, monkey nuts.... I've been shown a best practices procedure on changing a flat. Not tooooo bad, but not something to look forward to either.

Real nice build up! How did you attach the B.O.B. Nutz? I have an Ogre, and an Ibex, but as near as I can tell, both the Nutz and frame are female attachment points.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Just Shipped.....

My 16" Ogre FF just shipped from the mid west. The next few days will be torture! I'll be pulling most of my parts off a a Vassago Bandersnatch, which came off of a GF X-Cal before the Bander.

I'll be building the Ogre for some bikepacking and dirt touring along with being my all around commuter.

I'll be looking to these builds for ideas. Keep the builds coming!
    The LBS I support - www.atownbikes.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flatfendershop View Post
    I ran SS for a little while but needed to get set up for a tour soon, so I added gearing and racks in the last couple of weeks. Surly's rack are impressive. They do limit access to the fork braze-ons but I was still able to mount my pump on them. Just no water bottles. No big deal. I put a 12-34 cog set on the rear. That 34 looks like a pie plate back there, but the climbing ability will be nice. My Brooks saddle gets better with every ride.

hello:

great bike, congratulations.
    that front derailleur?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast