Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Ariolimax columbianus

ogre built

[IMG]ogre ds1[/IMG]
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

w/lotsa used parts...a work in progress. built it up last weekend and have only ridden to work, maybe take it out for a longer ride today. bars are real high (heckle me), need wiggle room, makes a comfy cruzer. gonna build up a different wheelset soon. pics came out a bit saturated. try to get some real ride time in and report.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    w/lotsa used parts...a work in progress. built it up last weekend and have only ridden to work, maybe take it out for a longer ride today. bars are real high (heckle me), need wiggle room, makes a comfy cruzer. gonna build up a different wheelset soon. pics came out a bit saturated. try to get some real ride time in and report.
    I like it! And I like my bars high too. Long legs and short arms...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    has any one tried schwalbe 2.4 or wtb 2.55 tires yet? Will they fit?
    Is a quick release stable anywhere on the sliders, or do you need bolt on?
    I have 2.35" Big Apple slicks on mine and it and they fit fine w/plenty of room. The rear required monkey nuts to slide the wheel back a bit though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by surlyogreguy View Post
    Here are a couple of shots of the one I'm working on. I'm using it for commuting through the winter in Salt Lake City, but also hope to set it up for touring on & off road. I bought the complete bike & tweaked a few things.
    Did you need to shorten the rear fender due to a clearance issue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    [IMG]ogre ds1[/IMG]
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Nicest looking Ogre yet. I was debating between a KM and Ogre, and ultimately ordered the KM. It's on backorder and your bike is making me have second thoughts.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    [IMG]ogre ds1[/IMG]

Did you add those extra bottle bosses on the downtube, or were they already there?

How did I not notice those the first time?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Surly Ogre Build in STL

Just picked the Ogre up this past weekend from Maplewood Bicycle and haven't gotten around to riding it off-road yet. The Jones loop bar seems very nice and comfy.

The build is a mix of new components and some other pieces from my salsa dos niner tear down. The brake lines still need chopped down and the bar needs taped in place of the grips. Going to get fit up better so the stem height/length is in limbo right now.

Build
    --18" medium ogre
    --Full XT kit, 2x10, 26/38 rings - the brake levers are sweet and feel terrific.
    --thomson post (prior)
    --selle italia slr (prior) - may get the boot for something more 'long haul'
    --eggbeaters (prior)
    --bontrager race wheels (new off my sf100)
    --surly nice rack (beef! pretty sure I could tow a guy holding a 30 pack back there)
    --bob nutz for a dedicated hitch zone for the bob trailer
    --ritchey speed max cross tires for the gravel and lightweight xc trails
    --not shown - brooks leather bar tape
    --planet x bike fenders (wide to run full xc tires - I want options)

Final weight came in at 30.5lb - not too bad considering the rack. The build ended up costing a bit more than the stock offering but I selected everything I wanted and am happy how it turned out.

I already had a KM and had been thinking about getting an around gravel/trail/tourer/ do it all camper and when I heard about the Ogre and the fact it has the same geometry, I was sold. It took a bit of effort for the shop to source one - they seem to be in high demand at the moment. Maplewood Bicycle here in St. Louis did a great job and are very easy to deal with.

This bike is my trail maintenance army machine, back 40 adventurer and gravel grinder tour bus. Quite the opposite of the Superfly hundy but just as much fun.

Here's some blurry camphone pics.

There's a lot going on here.... Bob nutz attachment, fender, disk brake, rack, chainstay caliper, monkey nuts.... I've been shown a best practices procedure on changing a flat. Not tooooo bad, but not something to look forward to either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy horseshoes View Post
    J
    Tell me you don't have a room for bikes. That's not what I need to hear as I drag bikes onto my porch so I can use my dinner table tomorrow night for Valentines Day...: madmax:

Cool bike though!

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post

Did you add those extra bottle bosses on the downtube, or were they already there?

How did I not notice those the first time?
    no....three bosses for an anything cage i guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like you're set up nativeson. Those bars are next on my list. What saddle and post do you have?

You're right about the three bottle bosses on the down tube. Either for an anything cage or the ability to mount your bottle in different places.

I added button head bolts to all of my empty braze-ons until I need them. Just seemed like it would keep the grit out.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by flatfendershop View Post
    I like you're set up nativeson. Those bars are next on my list. What saddle and post do you have?

You're right about the three bottle bosses on the down tube. Either for an anything cage or the ability to mount your bottle in different places.

I added button head bolts to all of my empty braze-ons until I need them. Just seemed like it would keep the grit out.
    saddle is a velo orange, brooks knockoff. seatpost is an old bontrager (i believe) of my 90's rock lobster. bars are awesome for what i use 'em for. i'll edit a parts list later.

in the mean time here's a few teaser pics of a solo overnight in henry coe park, 2nd largest state park in norcal. only about 35 miles away by car. shakedown ride, bike handled amazingly well, might need a larger rotor up front. as always steeper than it looks. packed way too much, it looks like i'd be gone for weeks, where else you gonna put a twelve pack? always geekin out on my kit.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I Ride for Donuts
    I got married in a pair of vans like that. Of course they were black/white checks though

Nice pics! Question from your other pics... do the brake bosses just thread out of the fork? and did you not remove them for a (cargo related?) reason?

I ordered my ogre frame/fork this weekend and I'm giddy.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nice pictures. Can't imagine that you didn't have a good time. Are you in the E. Bay? Walnut Creek/Mt Diablo area? Your pictures look similar to those posted by Grant from Rivendell, like where his crew do a lot of their bike camping.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Oops. I just reread your post and realized you said where you were. Close by Mt Diablo. You can see the similarity to locations.

Campout and Other Pics. | pushing the pedals
    Last edited by dfltroll; 02-21-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: pasted wrong text
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Ariolimax columbianus
    actually grew up in E.Bay....coe is a part of the diablo range, hence the similar landscapes/geology. it's definitely got a nice old western california feel to it. Diablo Range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia i like that dude's blog, follow it a lot and go to many of the places he goes to in marin and sonoma counties. california's just so big, some of the best adventures are right out the door. i do like rivendell's but the price could get me another full suspension.

left the bosses on, dunno why. in the front i used 'em to attach and old man mountain rack that's been cycled through various bikes.

mtbr member
    actually grew up in E.Bay....coe is a part of the diablo range, hence the similar landscapes/geology. it's definitely got a nice old western california feel to it. Diablo Range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia i like that dude's blog, follow it a lot and go to many of the places he goes to in marin and sonoma counties. california's just so big, some of the best adventures are right out the door. i do like rivendell's but the price could get me another full suspension.

left the bosses on, dunno why. in the front i used 'em to attach and old man mountain rack that's been cycled through various bikes.
    I'm an SF native living in Portland now. For all the miles I did in Marin I never really rode in the E.Bay. If I were ever to move back I'd definitely ride over that way more. Living in SF it was so convenient to just ride across the bridge and into the Headlands.

Great images, looking forward to seeing more. I probably get in any bike camping trips until July or so. Spring is filled with randonneuring and build up to the Cascade 12000k.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Few more weeks

@slimhazy

I will have my Ogre very soon built complete. It took awhile because there were so many orders and what not. I think there will be a surge of builds posted in the next few months.

I ordered mine on the 25th Jan 2012. Bought all components while i was waiting.

Should receive the Ogre by friday. Will build weekend. Post pics next week. Very excited.

I can tell you right now, that I would build an Ogre any day over the KM. It was the greatest, but with Ogre off it is a not brainer. Good luck to you but the KM is still the best after Ogre.

Later

ImmuneZone

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The Ogre looks awesome, but IMO, the Salsa Mariachi with a Fargo fork is the killer combo. You get a vertical dropout with the ability to still run an IGH (no resetting the chain tension every time you remove the R. Wheel), and it's a little bit lighter as well. I'm 90 percent done with mine built around a Rohloff, can't wait to get it out there! The extra braze-ons on the DT and fork were the suggestion of Cass Gilbert, a friend of mine who is touring on a Rohloff equipped Troll. Google whie out riding

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Here's mine folks. still have a little left to complete the build (attach RD cable, front brake), but am waiting for a part or two still. Anyway, I'm excited with how it turned out and wanted to get in on some of the fun posting my Ogre.

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Here's mine. It will be my kid pulling, town carving, future commute monster. Built mostly from the parts of the Pake I had posted in the MonsterCross thread.
    Soma Sparrow 56cm bars
    Nexus 8 Speed Red Band Hub
    WTB Pathway 45c (closer to 48)
    ect ect ect...
    Rides great. Only gone to the mailbox and back but it felt good.
    I'm 5'10.65" and got an 18"
    G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogre Build Thread-img_1059.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Ogre change-up

I ran SS for a little while but needed to get set up for a tour soon, so I added gearing and racks in the last couple of weeks. Surly's rack are impressive. They do limit access to the fork braze-ons but I was still able to mount my pump on them. Just no water bottles. No big deal. I put a 12-34 cog set on the rear. That 34 looks like a pie plate back there, but the climbing ability will be nice. My Brooks saddle gets better with every ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogre Build Thread-imag0647.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-imag0648.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-imag0649.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-imag0650.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-imag0653.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Sweet Bike

That is a good looking bike!

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by flatfendershop View Post
    I ran SS for a little while but needed to get set up for a tour soon, so I added gearing and racks in the last couple of weeks. Surly's rack are impressive. They do limit access to the fork braze-ons but I was still able to mount my pump on them. Just no water bottles. No big deal. I put a 12-34 cog set on the rear. That 34 looks like a pie plate back there, but the climbing ability will be nice. My Brooks saddle gets better with every ride.
    yo flatfendershop, was that surly front rack pretty straightfoward bolt on mounting? or did you half to do any modifications, did it clear the brake caliper easy? just wondering cause another gut i know had to do some mods to mount that rack on his fargo. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The front rack was straight forward. Surly sends a boat load of hardware with them so you have options to configure. The only "mod" I had to make on the front was a stack of washers about 3/8" thick on the lower mount between the stainless steel tab and the fork eyelet. I did this so the bottom of the rack would flare out to clear the BB7 brake caliper. It only really needed to be done on the left, but I did the right also just to make it symmetrical. The longer bolt that was needed as a result was in the kit.

I don't know the fargo fork, but the reason I got the Surly racks was to match the mounting config on the Surly fork. It does.

KMRIA

my ogre build...

My Ogre build, about 2 months old. About half the parts are new and the other half off of a Giant Seek 0 which was an ill advised purchase (WAY too uncomfortable to replace my trusty 15 year old steel Specialized Milano).

I showed some detail on rear dropout area as it is pretty tight, BOB nutz, rack mount, Surly Trailer mount, fenders, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogre Build Thread-p5093400_edited-1.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-p5093398_edited-1.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-p5093397_edited-1.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-p5093401_edited-1.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-p5093402_edited-1.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-p5093399_edited-1.jpg  

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast