Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatfendershop View Post
    Hey,

The badge on my head tube is not sticking down. Since its sort of stiff it wants to peel up on its own. Any suggestions. My apparent options are take it off and fling it somewhere, see if I can glue it with something (3M spray adhesive?), duct tape it on, or have it remade in vinyl and lose the 3D looking plastic. Anyone else battling this?
    Shoe Goo? RTV? Some sort of epoxy? Shouldn't be too hard to get it stuck back on. Remove the existing adhesive. I don't think "77" or any of the other 3M sprays would hold it; not 3-D enough for something like that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyharing View Post
    Sure, I've commuted on my CC for about 4 years now, and it was and still is a great bike for this. The CC is set up as a 1x10, although the 10spd was always a little finicky. The only problems I had were the toe overlap, which was pretty bad with 35s and fenders and size 13 feet, and it was pretty harsh feeling, especially on Chicago's terrible roads. I never really loved drop bars either, but I got used to them.

The Ogre is much smoother with the 45s I have on, and feels more manueverable, kinda "flickable." No toe overlap at all, and I like the more upright position, although it does feel a bit slower, and any sort of illusions I had about looking cool and fast are long gone. I have more confidence tackling crumbling pavement and metal grate bridges too.
    Thanks for that, sounds like it'd be more suitable as a replacement for my LHT than a CC. Since the LHT is a touring build and the CC is a fast SS commuter. Can i replace the LHT with an Ogre, tempted, but ive just bought a ton of stuff to pimp it out

mtbr member
    I used tubular tyre tape to stick my headtube badge down - seems fine. I also had to chase the threads on bb and ream out the headtube - so tight the headset cup wouldn't go in at first!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the glue suggestions!

I'm 5' 11" with an inseam of 34. I got the 18 Ogre, but haven't been on it yet to verify its correct. I think it'll be fine. Remember its as much about reach as it is stand over. I think there's becoming pretty good data of this sort on a Karate Monkey post. Check it out, the frames are identical as for dimensions and angle.

Anyone else checked their gusset void at the top of the down tube? Did yours get powder coated under there?

Flat.

Still want a fat bike....
    I went in to order my frame/fork and it looks like my shop can't get it out of MN until March. Utah may have it sooner..... and here I am ready to build and can not move forward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sorry Dalton,
    When I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago it was reportedly the last one (18). There were 2 available at noon, one of those was gone by 2:00 when I put in my order. My LBS went through QBP since he didn't have one in the shop.
    Flat.

mtbr member

Anyone not want their fork?

If anyone has an Ogre fork from one of the framesets or completes (Army Green, w/ Anything Cage braze-ons) please LMK. I'm considering one for a project.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" and have an 18" - I definitley wouldn't want to go smaller. Not sure what my inseam is and it's irrelevant for sizing a bike anyway

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Ogre Build

Here are a couple of shots of the one I'm working on. I'm using it for commuting through the winter in Salt Lake City, but also hope to set it up for touring on & off road. I bought the complete bike & tweaked a few things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogre Build Thread-surly-ogre-1.jpg  

Ogre Build Thread-surly-ogre-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice. How do you like the Ergon grips? Are those the cork ones?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like the grips a lot, they're super comfortable. They're not cork.

HAF
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the glue suggestions!

I'm 5' 11" with an inseam of 34. I got the 18 Ogre, but haven't been on it yet to verify its correct. I think it'll be fine.
    so how is the bike feeling, flat?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Still haven't been on it. Got tires mounted and bottom bracket installed today. Headed out of town it maybe a couple of weeks before I get it finished.

Hey, Surlyogreguy (can we call you SOG for short?!) - that's a tasty ride you have there! I put a Brooks B17 on mine. They are great saddles, I have 3.

Flat.
    Last edited by flatfendershop; 01-14-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: left out some stuff -duh!

mtbr member
    has any one tried schwalbe 2.4 or wtb 2.55 tires yet? Will they fit?
    Is a quick release stable anywhere on the sliders, or do you need bolt on?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    has any one tried schwalbe 2.4 or wtb 2.55 tires yet? Will they fit?
    Is a quick release stable anywhere on the sliders, or do you need bolt on?
    For SS? I think you'll be fine with a QR. I haven't tried 2.4s, I tried my Nevegal 2.2s on and they fit with plenty of room, they have a pretty wide profile with the side knobs, there shouldn't be any problem clearing 2.5s. You'll have to use the Monkey Nuts to position the wheel farther out in the dropouts though.

mtbr member
    For SS? I think you'll be fine with a QR. I haven't tried 2.4s, I tried my Nevegal 2.2s on and they fit with plenty of room, they have a pretty wide profile with the side knobs, there shouldn't be any problem clearing 2.5s. You'll have to use the Monkey Nuts to position the wheel farther out in the dropouts though.
    I have a geared wheel, hope pro II, 9 speed with quick release.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, I don't imagine you'll find many nutted geared wheels out there. QR works fine, no slipping.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Yes, I don't imagine you'll find many nutted geared wheels out there. QR works fine, no slipping.
    it's pretty easy to pull out an axle and change it to a threaded bolt on.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by surlyogreguy View Post
    Here are a couple of shots of the one I'm working on. I'm using it for commuting through the winter in Salt Lake City, but also hope to set it up for touring on & off road. I bought the complete bike & tweaked a few things.
    looks sweet, did you cut that rear fender to fit/clear the front derailleur and rear tire clearance ? i'm gettin one soon from my lbs, just gotta wait for them to fill up their order queue. using it for the same things, hopefully it will make for a comfortable commuter, 10 miles one way paved on various grades of road.

edit: lbs ordered frame+fork expected on march 5th. updates to follow in a bit.
    Last edited by nativeson; 01-20-2012 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone happen to know if the topeak child seat rack will fit on the ogre? Annoying rack, made for 26" bikes, but it should wok with the location of the rack mounts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Here's the Ogre. . .

Hey all,
    Here's my ride, got the official first miles yesterday and had a great time. My skis have been collecting dust this winter, but the hiking and biking has been great!

So this is what I put together:
    Frame 18" (I'm 5'11" with 34 inches of ground clearance)
    Mavic 719 32 hole wheels
    Shimano Deore XT hubs (also 32 hole, I discovered one day that it works best to match the number of holes on the wheel with the number on the hub! )
    Truvative Firex crank/bb
    KMC chain
    Brooks B17 saddle
    Origin 8 bars and stem 90x5
    Seat post and pedals came from a box of stuff I had
    Avid BB7 brakes with 160mm rotors and Avid levers
    Specialized fast track tires
    Wal-mart grips
    Barends are out of the parts box. They may be dated, but I rediscovered how much I like riding with them.
    I tried to hold the bike while I stood on the scale, roughly 25.5-26#. I need to take it to a shop and borrow the scale

I've got a set of paul compact love levers ordered and a surly tugnut, but they're not here yet.

Over.
    Flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by flatfendershop; 02-19-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Hey all,
    Here's my ride, got the official first miles yesterday and had a great time. My skis have been collecting dust this winter, but the hiking and biking has been great!

Mavic 719 32 hole wheels
    Shimano Deore XT hubs (also 32 hole, I discovered one day that it works best to match the number of holes on the wheel with the number on the hub! )
    Truvative Firex crank/bb
    KMC chain
    Brooks B17 saddle
    Origin 8 bars and stem (bars cut to 18 inches, stem 90x5)
    Wal-mart grips
    Barends are out of the parts box. They may be dated, but I rediscovered how much I like riding with them.
    I tried to hold the bike while I stood on the scale, roughly 25.5-26#. I need to take it to a shop and borrow the scale

I've got a set of paul compact love levers ordered and a surly tugnut, but they're not here yet.

Over.
    Flat.
    yo flat....are your runnin an inline post w/your brooks saddle or does it have setback? my ogre frame's been waitin for me at the shop since last friday. will pick it up this weekend, pics to follow. did you have to face the headtube or chase the bottom bracket? looks fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey all,

Mavic 719 32 hole wheels
    Truvative Firex crank/bb
    KMC chain
    Brooks B17 saddle
    Origin 8 bars and stem (bars cut to 18 inches, stem 90x5)
    Wal-mart grips

Over.
    Flat.
    Looks great! I wish I could use mine offroad, we've had a super mild winter too, but that just means all the trails are mud. Grrr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The post is in line and the saddle sits about mid rail on it. I'm running a little bit shorter stem than I do on my Moots, 90 vs. 110. I like the feel of the reach on the Ogre. I wouldn't be surprised if I get a shorter stem on the Moots to replicate the Ogre. The bars are very similar on both rigs.

Mud, we have some of that too, the trick is to get out after the air temp warms up but before the mud melts. Hard to do during the week for us working types, but weekends maybe.
    Flat.

mtbr member

I checked out an Ogre at my LBS. Looks great...
    Last edited by vikb; 02-06-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast