Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hi, rifraf.

Thanks for the additional pictures. After a couple of months, I'm starting to experience more creaks and rattles on my Ogre, I think are due to the fenders. I'll look at adding more mounting points of the fenders to the front and rear racks, like what you have done. I was wondering if the single set of fender stays would be adequate on these, as all my other fenders in the past have had two sets of stays per fender.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by western_rider's_dad View Post
    Hi, rifraf.

Thanks for the additional pictures. After a couple of months, I'm starting to experience more creaks and rattles on my Ogre, I think are due to the fenders. I'll look at adding more mounting points of the fenders to the front and rear racks, like what you have done. I was wondering if the single set of fender stays would be adequate on these, as all my other fenders in the past have had two sets of stays per fender.

Thanks again!
    Where are your pics with fenders?
    Cant wait for a squiz.
    Cept for loose stones, mine seem pretty quiet.
    Some people swear by leather or rubber washers but mine arnt yet an issue.
    My Rohloff noise is more annoying to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post

So I've redrilled my fender to raise the stays in an attempt to nutralise the problem of the trailer wanting to wallop the fender stays when going over a bump greater than an inch:

I finally got around to getting the fork crown stay of my Velo Orange Pass Hunter rack welded into a different position allowing me to fit it to my Ogre.
    I got the stainless engineer to make the addition of a tab to attach my Edelux headlight to one of the V-brake stays. I'm very happy with it.

Other than some shiny steel eye candy, my wanting the small front rack was mainly for a secondary mounting point for my front fender.
    The roads are steeply undulating where I am and its been a bit of a worry thinking about my front fenders single top mounting point of the fork crown bolt.
    Now two attachment points have to give way to let the fender drop onto the front wheel and send me over the bars at speed.
    The Ortlieb handlebar bag I use means there wont be much real use for it as a proper rack whilst touring.
    Around home however it works well as a mounting point for my aluminum camera case which I like to be up front where I can keep an eye on it.

Hi again, rifraf!

Could you perhaps include a close-up picture of your additional front fender mounting hardware, that attached the fender to your front rack? Also, since moving the fender stays up higher on your rear rack, do you feel they are any more or less secure?

Still working on stiffening (and dampening) my fenders. ;-)

Thanks!
    Todd

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I needed this info too, and am marking it

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by western_rider's_dad View Post
    Hi again, rifraf!

Could you perhaps include a close-up picture of your additional front fender mounting hardware, that attached the fender to your front rack? Also, since moving the fender stays up higher on your rear rack, do you feel they are any more or less secure?

Still working on stiffening (and dampening) my fenders. ;-)

Thanks!
    Todd
    Hi Todd,
    I'll try to get my camera out over the weekend as I've put it away somewhere and not 100% where.
    I've got to find it for an upcoming tour so will do a search on Sat.
    In the meantime check out the colour pic on velo oranges page:
    VO Pass Hunter Front Rack - Racks - Racks & Decaleurs - Accessories
    The one with the rack bag on it. (Click it for a close up)
    If you run your eye up the rack stay that attaches via the brake boss, you'll see a cross member in the middle of the rack. This has an attachment bolt through the fender illustrated in this pic. Its roughly in the halfway point of the rack bridging the two sides of the flat rack. It has a threaded hole in the center which the bolt attaches after you thread it up through the fender from underneath.

My rear fender seems fine since I changed the mounting position.
    I've noticed no difference or movement in it since doing this.
    I'm thinking a red reflective tape strip should adequately camouflage the two now unused holes.
    The Gilles Berthoud fender stays are heavy duty and being a single piece that wraps around the fender, are much stiffer than conventional stays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    just an updated pic of my Ogre frame, back from my powdercoater. it's going to be back together this coming weekend i hope.

much sparkle in the sun.

news to me Rohloff no longer offer polished silver rather an annodised finish, i like it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Stevejfromthestwitch,
    Nice colour.
    Cant wait to see your new build.
    Did you rob your previous Ogre build to make up a Krampus or ECR?

I think I said earlier I was having issues with my Extrawheel trailer.
    It was hitting my Ogres mudguard stays.
    I moved the fender stays upwards and now enjoy approx 13 inches of upward trailer articulation.

I've also added trailer nuts to my frame after grinding off the uppermost bottle openers from my two tug-nuts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just got mine back together, need to get my B17 back on there

mtbr member
    Love the blue color!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Bout time this thread had a bump and I've some updated pics to add.
    Holy nalgenes batman! Where do you get bottle racks that carry nalgenes? Do you ride much off trail with those, will they actually hold nalgenes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drews256 View Post
    Holy nalgenes batman! Where do you get bottle racks that carry nalgenes? Do you ride much off trail with those, will they actually hold nalgenes?
    BBB XL Fueltanks from memory.
    I had to remove the top clips which are useful for coke bottle 1.5 litres but don't play nice with the Nalgenes.
    I was told to use some straps but so far the bottles haven't moved either full or empty.
    I tour with my bike so as not seeking any air, my riding, even off road, is fairly staid (slow)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    Just got mine back together, need to get my B17 back on there

Looks awesome! What front rack is that? Looks like a salsa
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep salsa minimalist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

My Front Loaded Bikepacking Ogre

Thought I'd share mine. Weight upfront, which I like, seems to balance out the bike.
    Downunder racks with anything cages. Ground clearance could be better, but we'll see. I'm not doing tech single track anyways.

I used 5mm nylon spacers on the anything cages to allow the down under rack's mid-fork attachment to get in position.

And, yes, thats a 64oz beer flask.

Ogre Build Thread-img_2849.jpgOgre Build Thread-img_2856.jpgOgre Build Thread-img_2858.jpgOgre Build Thread-img_2859.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogre Build Thread-img_2859.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hi all
    I've been loving my Ogre for a while but I've determined that the medium I bought is a bit small for me. Any chance anyone wants to trade me for their large? I am talking frame and fork only. I'll send pictures to anyone interested. Mine is the Army Green one.
    -Scott

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16