Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    I think I will compromise on some other parts in order to keep my budget reasonable (since it has now the Son 28 dynamo, USB-werk and Edelux budgeted in). In particular, I am considering the super-discounted stem, seat post, handlebar, and a couple of other items from On One. I am not sure how high my front will be, but unless I need too many spacers, I am willing to try out the On One Fleegle handlebar. I like the sound of the width and the 15 deg back sweep. I think the super angled WSC Ritchey bar ends would be a perfect fit for the angle.
    What do you think of this bar?
    Humpert Space Bugel Handlebars Cruiser MTB Town 25.4mm | eBay It would need a 25.4 to 31.8 spacer to fit some stems.
    Looks similar to a J Jones H Loop bar. If I hadnt found the Titec J bar to try, I would have grabbed one of these I think. Once I know I like the dial in of the J-bar (dimensions) I can consider the pricy Jones version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am thinking how it would go together with your super short stem. If I were you, I think I would wait for the saddle and stem to be assembled and mounted on the bike first and then try what reach will suit you. I am not sure whether this is the right way to approach it, but that's how I will do it nevertheless.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sorry, no, I wasnt clear. I'm happy with my choice of Titec J-Bar for now until I am sure I like what they do to shorten my cockpit with the short stem. The J-bar is very close in dimensions to the Jones Loop Bar but I didnt want to pay the $185 (including insured shipping) of the Jones's till I was sure I liked the fit.

If I hadnt had the J-bar, I think the bars in the ebay link are the closest I've seen, to the Jones/Titec dimensions in width/sweep etc as well as looks.
    I think a reasonable alternative compared to what else I've seen. I wondered if they might be you while you got your budget prioritised if they were a design you liked the look of. No suggestion they should, I was just interested opinions out there.

Sorry for not being more clear.
    Your build kit didnt seem to mention handlebars and I noticed in a separate post you liked some back sweep that your hoping the On One Fleegle can provide.
    Oh and having spotted the Fleegle, I see it can provide it at an exceptionally good price this week On-One Fleegle Handlebar

You've been holding out on us
    Last edited by rifraf; 04-11-2013 at 03:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If I wanted to build a pure commuter bike - then perhaps. But since I want to use the bike for touring as well as some MTB action, I need a bar that will suit both. The Fleegle gets good reviews in this regard.
    Last edited by sea monster; 04-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Ogre Build Thread-p4120001.jpg
    Ogre Build Thread-p4120002.jpg
    Ogre Build Thread-p4120003.jpg

Built up mine like this fixed gear with wheels off my steamroller just to see how it rode. The ratio was way too low for fixed, didnt like it, built my steamer back up and this will wait for some new 29er wheels and maybe gears too.

I Ride for Donuts
    Woo hoo for another drop bar ogre.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I find the Ogre way too long for drops, I would need to go Fargo or 30mm stem. lol.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member

Finally completed my build!

Ogre Build Thread-ogrebuild.jpg

King headset
    Alfine 8 IGH
    Supernova gen hub
    Supernova front and rear lights
    SKS longboard fenders
    PDW rack
    Big Apple tires
    Surly open bar
    Ergon grips

need to change the pedals....
    Left the fork uncut for possible drop bars in the future, although I am loving the Surly bar flipped. The black thing on the stem is a clamp for a baby seat. My little boy loves the ride!
    Last edited by ChiapasFixed; 04-21-2013 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Headset/Stem Spacers:

How do I determine how many to buy?
    Doing my first bike build with my new Ogre frame and am about to order some spacers.
    As most of the bike is black including frame/forks, seatpost and stem and headset, bars and seat.
    I thought I'd add some polished alloy to match the silver wheels and polished alloy cranks.
    I've just spotted:
    Wiggle Australia | Hope Space Doctor Spacers | Headsets
    which have a "silver" option.
    I'm not planning on cutting the steerer anytime soon so was wondering what sort of gap I'm going to be filling between the headset and my thomson x4 stem?
    I see a few builds here that look like the steerer has been left untouched so hoped someone could point me in the right direction.
    Cheers if anyones got time.
    Last edited by rifraf; 04-26-2013 at 02:20 AM. Reason: added pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    if you got 2 packs of the hope spacers you should be fine. I'm like you in that i kept all my steerer for the first fitting, rode it for a bit to get a rough idea of stem height, cut about 50mm off and i'm sticking with it for a while, i do have the stem pretty low but always like the option of putting it up higher at a later date if i need to.

mtbr member
    For my 20" ogre, leaving the headset uncut, I needed three 25mm spacers plus one 2mm spacer for a total of 77mm to tighten the headset.

Often spacers are chosen to match the headset, although contrast can be nice too, and black always looks good.

Looks like those Hope spacers are sold as a set, so you may need to order two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed View Post
    For my 20" ogre, leaving the headset uncut, I needed three 25mm spacers plus one 2mm spacer for a total of 77mm to tighten the headset.

Often spacers are chosen to match the headset, although contrast can be nice too, and black always looks good.

Looks like those Hope spacers are sold as a set, so you may need to order two.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    if you got 2 packs of the hope spacers you should be fine. I'm like you in that i kept all my steerer for the first fitting, rode it for a bit to get a rough idea of stem height, cut about 50mm off and i'm sticking with it for a while, i do have the stem pretty low but always like the option of putting it up higher at a later date if i need to.
    Thanks for the feedback fella's. Two packs it is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bits and pieces slowly coming together

Last edited by rifraf; 04-26-2013 at 03:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    nice one Rif, i am a big fan of the black, just finished my triple XT build, i must get out and take some pics when i get a nice day for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's a beauty in the making, rifraf.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    nice one Rif, i am a big fan of the black, just finished my triple XT build, i must get out and take some pics when i get a nice day for it.
    Thanks SteveJfromtheSwitch
    Sounds great and I cant wait to see the pics

Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    It's a beauty in the making, rifraf.
    Hi Seamonster,
    Thank you.
    Coming along very slowly. Still waiting for a local bike shop to have the time to install my headset and build up my wheels which still arnt done.
    I can now at least get a feeling for what the end product will look like now my seat has arrived and my stem to hold the bars in place. As you can see, I had a little play in the garage today and couldnt resist seeing what the bars/stem looked like attached to the forks and seat on the post. Made an order with SJS to supply some polished alloy headset spacers, skewers, 34T reversable Thorn chainring and Shimano XTR brake cable set. I really hope the cable set is compatible with BB7 calipers but at this stage have no idea. Hope your weekend is a good one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Hope your weekend is a good one.
    Same to you, rifraf

PS: I pushed the button. More over email later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ogre Build Thread-dsc05738.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05738.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	798106Ogre Build Thread-dsc05740.jpgOgre Build Thread-dsc05741.jpgOgre Build Thread-dsc05742.jpgWheels are now made - got them yesterday and couldnt resist a mock up build today.
    Still got to get headset installed by shop next week as long as my SJS Cycles Thorn adapter to hold a handlebar bag has arrived. If its arrived in the mail then the plan is to take the frame in on Friday for the headset installation.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-acc...deg-prod11040/
    Need to get a torx kit so I can remove oem2 plate to get on my brake disk - swore a bit when I tried and failed to get it on this morning only to find it a no go. I only got the plate put on recently as my hub came with a different version.

mtbr member
    Need to get a torx kit so I can remove oem2 plate to get on my brake disk - swore a bit when I tried and failed to get it on this morning only to find it a no go. I only got the plate put on recently as my hub came with a different version.
    cant you return the hub to Rohloff and have it exchanged with the correct version for the Ogre?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed View Post
    cant you return the hub to Rohloff and have it exchanged with the correct version for the Ogre?
    Hi ChiapasFixed, its just a little plate that is screwed to the hub via about 5 screws that instead of having a hex head utilise whats termed a torx headed screw. I just dont happen to have the right tool. A friend put on the Oem2 plate after the Rohloff I ordered/received came with a different plate. I ordered and received the correct Oem2 plate so now have 2 versions should I ever change frames. I also bought as a backup for that scenario, a torque plate, so I could add the hub to frames that have short vertical dropouts, so am now well covered should I decide not to stick with the Ogre. Such a small job, with a screwdriver like tool, that theres no need to send the wheel away to Rohloff. It was just a pain as we had the plate off very recently and I didnt know it needed to be off to install the brake disk. Hope that makes sense. Its nearly midnight and I'm struggling to write coherently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	798106Click image for larger version. 

ID:	798106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05740.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	798107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05741.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	798108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05742.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	798109Wheels are now made - got them yesterday and couldnt resist a mock up build today.
    Still got to get headset installed by shop next week as long as my SJS Cycles Thorn adapter to hold a handlebar bag has arrived. If its arrived in the mail then the plan is to take the frame in on Friday for the headset installation.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-acc...deg-prod11040/
    Nice bike! I just ordered a black ogre today. What wheels did you go with?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do the big apple tires fit on the stock rim?

dying hurts.
    i ran mine on the stock rims for awhile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbaj View Post
    Nice bike! I just ordered a black ogre today. What wheels did you go with?
    Hi BubbaJ, The wheels I went with are 36H Rohloff and Son28 hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Velocity Dyad rims.
    I have these exact rims/spokes (although in 20" 406 size) on my Moulton APB small wheeled tourer.
    I hope these treat me as well as the small ones have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am planning on putting a set of big apples on my ogre when I pick it up but what I can't decide is what color brooks. I ordered the black ogre, would a tan saddle look out of place? And will it work with the stock post?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast