Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    ...also wondering which anti-rotation washers folks are using for the alfine 8 hub? I know you can use the stock green/blue ones and run the cable up the seat stays, but this can cause the cassette joint to get in the way of the chain a bit.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of Sugino XD crank arms. Cheap an well made. Square taper is good stuff.
    Sugino XD

These look good too. Sugino DX

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice cranks!
    Last I looked Jensonusa.com had some great priced square tapered bottom brackets
    of the UN73 persuasion. Shame for me in Aussie the postage killed it but if I was in the US I'd be buying a few at that great price. I had to settle for a dearer to me, UN55 which whilst still a good BB is not at the UN73 standard from what I hear.
    I was told my Thorn cranks were rebadged Sugino

mtbr member

Build pic

So here is a quick and dirty phone pic of the build in progress.... I decided to go with some Truvativ Rukiton cranks and Howitzer BB, just waiting for those to get this man-eating giant rolling!Ogre Build Thread-photo-58.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Re: Ogre Build Thread

Give Hiawatha a call. They are my lbs and a great shop. I saw the bike last time I was in the shop. Its pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hiawatha has a few blog entries relating to Ogres and some great pics which when you click on them enlarge. One in particular caught my eye with its Brooks Flyer Special saddle and Rabbithole rims. Have a squiz:
    Hiawatha Cyclery: Search results for ogre

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Re general building, I stuck some Ergon GP3 grips on the Ogre today. Didn't much like them at first, but after two hours on the bike I love them. So much more torso support for long rides.

I made the mistake of thinking the comfort comes from the pistol grip, but it's actually having a platform for the heel of your hand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    To match that IHG with its good price HelmutHerr, you need to have a squiz at xxcycle.
    Wheel Hub Dynamo on sale at XXcycle - en
    Some good prices to had until the budget allows a Son. I specifically like that disk braked
    alfine price. Food for thought?

Whoops, I just spotted that quote is for a 26' rim.
    You might have to email them for a quote?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Why do you hate my bank account?

Thanks for the tip, but the bike budget is on hold until after the Dirty Grand Fondo. I'll do my best to out-Clyde the Alfine's tolerances, and if it survives I'll decide whether to go IGH or dinglespeed for the long haul.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Bbq

Quote Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed View Post
    So here is a quick and dirty phone pic of the build in progress.... I decided to go with some Truvativ Rukiton cranks and Howitzer BB, just waiting for those to get this man-eating giant rolling!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-58.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	787419
    You have a Big Green Egg, don't you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Jenson has an Ogre framset for $535 and a complete X7 2x9 build kit for $650.... Seems like a good deal to me. I'm wanting to build a town/utility bike for commuting, fishing, etc. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bznbrian View Post
    Any thoughts?
    If you ask in a Surly Ogre thread, everyone will tell you to get a Surly Ogre! So you should get a Surly Ogre.

mtbr member
    Jenson has an Ogre framset for $535 and a complete X7 2x9 build kit for $650.... Seems like a good deal to me. I'm wanting to build a town/utility bike for commuting, fishing, etc. Any thoughts?
    Do it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Pretty much a no-brainer. Went looking on the website and could only find the frameset. Where's the complete build?

mtbr member
    You have a Big Green Egg, don't you?
    huh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The bag of bbq fuel in the background.

It could be used for a Big Green Egg.

Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutHerr View Post
    Why do you hate my bank account?
    LOL He (rifraf) does the same to me. He's a budget killer!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    LOL He (rifraf) does the same to me. He's a budget killer!
    As for you, all I can say is:
    XXcycle - Dynamo Charger Usb-Werk Busch & Mller - Busch & Muller - en
    How does that price compare?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    That's a great price ... before the EU import tax and VAT.

rifraf, do you remember what year was your Edelux light made? I went through the reviews and comments you sent me via the link, and the guy highly values the light before 2010, but he isn't all that kind to later productions (claiming too much hotspot).

Cheers to down under

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    That's a great price ... before the EU import tax and VAT.

rifraf, do you remember what year was your Edelux light made? I went through the reviews and comments you sent me via the link, and the guy highly values the light before 2010, but he isn't all that kind to later productions (claiming too much hotspot).

Cheers to down under
    Damn I forgot to check out the Eu implications.
    I'd offer to get it sent here and post it on to you but Australia to Eu postage is a killer.
    When I went to return a wrongly delivered hub it was going to be $95 insured post.

Any better prices here?:
    https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8; ... duct=38306
    Bike Shop - German Mountain & Road Bike Store - starbike.com ... BW-5253-en
    http://www.roseversand.com/article/b--m ... aid:639422
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m ... aid:639422

After reading his views on the Edelux I tell anyone who asks its a pre 2010
    version. I bought it in 2011 I think, so for you I'll say its old stock

Truly no idea, but compared to my old set up which was a ancient sturmey archer dynohub (1.1kg hub only) and chrome and switched steel
    headlight (incandescent bulb), my current set up is absolutely amazing.
    I'm no less amazed that "maybe" his older one is brighter.
    I wouldn't swap mine for any other that I've seen in action.
    I believe it was money that was so well spent I've never regretted the purchase.

mtbr member

Maiden voyage

So here is the basic build after its first night ride: a couple miles down a very dark and woody trail in Rock Creek Park! Again, lousy phone pics, but you get the idea. Decided to keep the fork uncut in case I decide to go with some drop bars in the future. Thanks to my buddy Peter for his expertise in bike building, figuring out the chainline and solving the issue of why my Alfine hub would not downshift. This thing rides like a dream!Ogre Build Thread-photo-22-.jpgOgre Build Thread-photo-21-.jpgOgre Build Thread-photo-20-.jpgOgre Build Thread-photo-19-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you are in the market for a good dynamo light too, have you seen the new Luxos lights by B&M? I just got the Luxos-B which is a modest improvement over my Cyo. But the Luxos-U has an integrated USB charging outlet built in. Not sure if you need anything other than the 5V power you get, but the Luxos-U is definitely something to consider if you need power on your bike.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    If you are in the market for a good dynamo light too, have you seen the new Luxos lights by B&M? I just got the Luxos-B which is a modest improvement over my Cyo. But the Luxos-U has an integrated USB charging outlet built in. Not sure if you need anything other than the 5V power you get, but the Luxos-U is definitely something to consider if you need power on your bike.....
    Hi Evandy,

rifraf already pointed out that one to me. It seems almost too good to be true. However, there are very few reviews available (5 or 6), of which 3 complain about the lights failing to perform in the rain. I think I better wait for more reviews and/or for the company to address this issue.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Damn I forgot to check out the Eu implications.
    And that's how we live here - plagued by high prices, import duties and VAT.

I think I will compromise on some other parts in order to keep my budget reasonable (since it has now the Son 28 dynamo, USB-werk and Edelux budgeted in). In particular, I am considering the super-discounted stem, seat post, handlebar, and a couple of other items from On One. I am not sure how high my front will be, but unless I need too many spacers, I am willing to try out the On One Fleegle handlebar. I like the sound of the width and the 15 deg back sweep. I think the super angled WSC Ritchey bar ends would be a perfect fit for the angle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, I rode in a huge downpour yesterday with my LuxosB (no USB outlet) and it was fine, but that's just one sample. It is a new light, so the reviews may take a while to come in.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast