Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009

Not so harsh fork for the Monkey?

I've had a 2011 KM for a year now, and the fork beats the crap out of me. I understand the newest model has an improved (Salsa?) fork that is noticably more compliant. Anyone swap out an older harsh fork for a different rigid or sus fork and enjoy the bike much more? I want to ride the KM more, but my other bike (with a Reba up front) is so much more forgiving. I don't mind rigid at all, but I don't think I've ever ridden such a harsh steel fork. If you swapped yours out, what did you replace it with?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I swapped for a Salsa Enabler, didn't notice much difference, swapped for an Ogre fork, didn't notice much difference.

mtbr member
    Can you put that Reba on you KM? If you have two bikes, put the same headset on both bikes and swap the Reba onto the KM whenever you want it there. The swap takes less than ten minutes.

mtbr member
    A sspemsion fork makes my monkey ride faster too
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    May eventually try the Reba on the KM. It's a G2 model though, so I'm not sure how that'll feel. I love the maneuverability/responsive feel I get from a rigid fork, but dealing with East Coast roots makes it tiring after long.

Got the set up pretty dialed on the KM now for trail riding, which made it more comfortable in general while riding last night. Love hopping over logs on a rigid bike.

Will have to fit the Reba for a test ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    When I got my 2012 KM, I immediately swapped out the stock fork for a Salsa Fargo from my previous bike. As such, I never had a chance to ride the KM fork.

If you want to try a 2012 fork, mine is unused in the box. Could let it go for $75...

Abby Normal
    I've had a Reba SL on my KM (80mm) and it's definitely nice if you are riding rough terrain. Currently running an On-One carbon fork - compared to the stock KM fork it's definitely a bit more forgiving (but rigid is rigid). They are selling for 150 on the On-One US site - On-One 29" Carbon Fork. Quite burly for carbon (only about a half pound lighter than stock KM fork). No rider weight limit from what I have read.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    I've had a 2011 KM for a year now, and the fork beats the crap out of me.
    Is it the fork or the tire/rim combo? Which tires and rims at which pressure do you ride?

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Is it the fork or the tire/rim combo? Which tires and rims at which pressure do you ride?
    This is something I've considered. Right now it has a Kenda Slant Six 2.2 at 23 PSI mounted on a 32 hole Bontrager SSR rim up front. Used to ride a 2.3 Exiwolf up front. I realize running something in the 2.4-2.5 range would probably yield good results. Wider rims would be a welcome change as well, but building new wheels is very costly and out of the question right now.

I will most likely try a wider front tire, and then possibly a suspension fork. I'm even considering a fat-front set up.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    I've had a Reba SL on my KM (80mm) and it's definitely nice if you are riding rough terrain. Currently running an On-One carbon fork - compared to the stock KM fork it's definitely a bit more forgiving (but rigid is rigid). They are selling for 150 on the On-One US site - On-One 29" Carbon Fork. Quite burly for carbon (only about a half pound lighter than stock KM fork). No rider weight limit from what I have read.
    This is basically the debate I'm faced with. Spend $150-200 on a carbon fork, or spend $300-400 on a decent suspension fork. Assuming I actually buy something. The East Coast roots are what's killing me on this bike.

mtbr member
    try a 2.4" tire if you haven't already, might help a lot, without costing much.

I go back and forth between rigid (light, incredible precision, etc) and suspension (comfy, fast).

Need Sleep
    Put a Fat Front set up on it, you won't regret it.
    Go buy a Pizza

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    This is basically the debate I'm faced with. Spend $150-200 on a carbon fork, or spend $300-400 on a decent suspension fork. Assuming I actually buy something. The East Coast roots are what's killing me on this bike.
    Well, like others have said - maybe try some bigger tires first? I'm running Ardent 2.4's tubeless on Blunt's and they definitely help. And of course Surly is coming out with 3" 29er tires - I bet one of those up front would be pretty sweet.

But if your main goal is to maximize comfort on rough terrain - go with a squishy fork for sure.

Need Sleep
    Under $400 you can be Maintenance Free......

Ride Roots and Rocks all day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not so harsh fork for the Monkey?-img_1868.jpg  

Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member

I take a short cut though

I go all the way to suspension fork and I'm glad I did,
    I ride faster on my Monkey now
    Last edited by Bullit_cn; 08-18-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cocksmith View Post
    Under $400 you can be Maintenance Free......

Ride Roots and Rocks all day.
    Great photo, makes me want to go half fat on my monkey.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Okay - couple questions about the fat front set up..

For those who have done it, how much did it run you and what's your set up? Was it worth it? I love the idea. Don't really want a suspension fork, and I feel like a carbon fork will yield minimal (if any) positive results over the stock fork.

Does the fat front enable the bike to be ridden anywhere that you couldn't with a traditional 29er wheel/fork? I ask because I've actually been lusting after a Fat Bike for a while...but that's somewhat out of the question right now, and I think up front is where the extra volume would be most useful anyways.

Need Sleep
    The low pressure Fat Front allows you to go over just about everything, its a touch slower but I no longer Race so I could care less, it corners like a champ also, I weigh 210# and have no problem committing all I got in a loose corner.

As far as Price check ebay and craigslist to piece your project together, it will roughly cost you what a suspension fork would but you will have zero maintenance aside from changing your Tire once worn down.....plus its a bit lighter :-)
    Go buy a Pizza

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cocksmith View Post
    The low pressure Fat Front allows you to go over just about everything, its a touch slower but I no longer Race so I could care less, it corners like a champ also, I weigh 210# and have no problem committing all I got in a loose corner.

As far as Price check ebay and craigslist to piece your project together, it will roughly cost you what a suspension fork would but you will have zero maintenance aside from changing your Tire once worn down.....plus its a bit lighter :-)

Definitely going to look into it. Unfortunately I never see Fat Bike parts on craigslist in this area, but I'll be checking Ebay and other sites to see what I can find. Depending on what this is going to cost me, I may just start a Fat Bike fund and get the real thing.