A God Without A Name

Next years bike : Drop Bar Karate Monkey, Alfine

Now that the KM has been cleaned up a bit. And the Alfine 8 is no longer insanely pricey... I am planning my next bike (hoping to build it by next spring) My Soma Groove is great and I don't really want to change it. but I want another rigid steel bike thats not a responsive little commuter bullet.

I want something that takes racks and fenders better. that cruises with ease and rolls gently along.

So my plan is a 16" grey KM, Alfine out back. drop bars... and hopefully hydraulic discs... if such a thing is possible for drop bars by this spring.

thoughts?

I know its odd to start a thread for theoretical bikes... but hell... I likes to plan... and I likes to talk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    not sure how hydros and drops would work. You could still do BB7s though if you just want discs.

For the record, I didn't like the drops on my monkey (80mm 35* stem still wouldn't put thebars in a comfy place for me)... but some people seem to be happy with it.

Dinner for wolves
    Remember the Surly Ogre - A more rear rack friendly design than the KM. I have had a similar design banging around in my head since I bought my KM 3 years ago...it just gets pushed back further and further as other projects butt in line. In the end I don't think I could live with such a rear-heavy trail bike, but that's my problem. It would make a killer bike-camping set up, though. I think Jtek is still making a bar-end shifter for the Alfine8 despite the passing of it's inventor.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    If you go with an Alfine 8/drop bar I'd highly recommend the JTek bar end shifter. It works great and is nicer than another Alfine 8/drop bar shifting solution that I've tried.

Bar End Shifter for Nexus/Alfine IGH « The Lazy Rando Blog…

There is also a brifter option that I have never used:

Nexus/Alfine Brifter! « The Lazy Rando Blog…
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

A God Without A Name
    to be honest a part of why I bought the Groove. and Want the KM is prettyness. they're very clean looking bikes.

Also both these bikes are (going to be) built to be commuters that once in a while hit the trail. so I tend to aim for city friendly...

I know the Ogre is just a KM with options. but part of me feels if I am going to go for the uglier brother. why not the troll? I can reuse most parts on it!

Dinner for wolves
    I hear you. The Ogre is powerful ugly.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    I hear you. The Ogre is powerful ugly.

They look pretty similar to me...

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

A God Without A Name
    Someone once asked me. how much my technical pen cost.
    I replied with "Eleven Dollars"
    they told me "I can get ten Sharpies for that price!"
    I told them "If you can't tell the difference between a Scalpel and an Xacto Knife... you shouldn't be using the scalpel."

its the little things... that make the difference.

Dinner for wolves
    Pardon me, Vikb, for expressing a personal opinion about bike aesthetics, here, on MTBR. WTF was I thinking.
    Responds to gravity

Dinner for wolves
    Double
    Last edited by buddhak; 11-13-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Double post
    Responds to gravity

A God Without A Name

A God Without A Name
    My next frameset is an Ogre.

I kinda came to the conclusion that while the KM is prettier... I am building this bike to be a hauler... racks, fenders... trailers...

My soma is the zippy good looking bike. this will be my work truck.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yah, Vik, its not the geometry its the colors. Some people love the green, some people hate it. I'm trying to search for a good bike for my wife. I keep thinking "technical features" and the kind of riding we want to do. Then I a show her a bike and she says "ewww, I can't have that green" and I'm thinking she didn't even ask about the components or the ride or the handling! ;-)

Surly made a bunch of their current year bikes that kind of green including the LHT disc and the ogre.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    not sure how hydros and drops would work. You could still do BB7s though if you just want discs.

For the record, I didn't like the drops on my monkey (80mm 35* stem still wouldn't put thebars in a comfy place for me)... but some people seem to be happy with it.
    I'm with you there, I eventually gave up on the drops also. Top tube is too long, headtube too short. May try one of the Voodoo stems, thought briefly about a custom stem from Clockwork, didn't want to spend $200 on a stem. LD Replica Stem - a set on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    +rep to Surly for doing ugly right. I don't want anyone to ever think my Troll is pretty, it's a Troll after all. No one else in the industry names their bikes more appropriately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Now that the KM has been cleaned up a bit. And the Alfine 8 is no longer insanely pricey... I am planning my next bike (hoping to build it by next spring) My Soma Groove is great and I don't really want to change it. but I want another rigid steel bike thats not a responsive little commuter bullet.

I want something that takes racks and fenders better. that cruises with ease and rolls gently along.

So my plan is a 16" grey KM, Alfine out back. drop bars... and hopefully hydraulic discs... if such a thing is possible for drop bars by this spring.

thoughts?

I know its odd to start a thread for theoretical bikes... but hell... I likes to plan... and I likes to talk.
    I'm curious if you'll find any drop levers to run hydraulics. Good luck!
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ There aren't any yet, but what do exist are adapters to connect a hydralic caliper to a normal drop bar lever, now that discs are legal for CX racing. There are at least one or two out there (or almost out there); I think Tektro/TRP make one of them. I'm not so sure this is actually a good idea.