mtbr member

Newbie with dropout question

So, I'm new to the Surly world, having just purchased a Pugs a few weeks ago.

I ride the bike as my daily commuter ride and have changed out the wide tires for some less wide 2.4 inchers. Love the bike, love the ride, but I have a question. I've never run horizontal dropouts before and I've found that when I really crank down on on the peddles, say when trying to power up a hill or, on one occasion, when hard braking down a hill, the axle tends to want to shift. Usually,it is the drive side pulling the non-drive side toward the back of the bike, except for the braking situation.

So my question is this: How tight should I crank down the QR skewer to prevent this without overtightening? I've had situations in the past where I have bent the entire rear triangle to the drive side, but this was on a cheap bike. However, I really don't want that to happen here.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

P

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Q/R's on rear wheels in horizontal dropouts tend to be hit and miss, some riders never have an issue others do.
    I allways had slipping so swapped to using chain-tugs when using a Q/R hub.
    Could also be the skewer is worn and not gripping well enough.
    A nutted rear axle hub will slip as well if the nuts grip surface is worn.

A skewer should be fine, check it is in good order, failing that try another skewer or just pick up a set of chain-tugs, or the single Surly tug nut, they are cheap and instant cure, only downside is changing wheels or getting a mid ride flat, it's a bit more time and faffing about to fix.