Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

New stuff from Surly

According to the Surly blog they'll be posting a new product everyday this week. Today they introduced a SS CC complete. Also a new color. Looks great. Very smart.

Blog | Surly Bikes
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

dying hurts.
    wow.
    $1000 retail......?
    $180 more than the steamroller, and $150 less than a geared complete crosscheck....
    weird.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Steamroller completes are going I believe...

mtbr member
    the new color looks great! i'm a little surprised they didn't go with their own open bar. My CC is set up with one now and it feels great.....maybe an attempt to differentiate it from the steamroller completes.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwall View Post
    the new color looks great! i'm a little surprised they didn't go with their own open bar. My CC is set up with one now and it feels great.....maybe an attempt to differentiate it from the steamroller completes.
    i agree. i was curious as to why they chose to use the open bar on the complete troll, but not the ogre complete...they decided to use a flat bar also...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks nice. I like the new color too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'd like to see them throw out a Troll complete as a 650b option...or a new 650b model entirely. /short riders unite!

mtbr member
    Very cool, looks like a fun candidate for a SSCX bike, just add tires...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The parts list seems to make the most of the frame: 42mm tires plus use those horizontal dropouts. I would (did) put dropbars onto my SS CC. But then I put gears on it after all so hey what do I know... (still SS/fix it for winter though)

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I really like the new SS CC complete. $1000 retail? Didn't see that. That seems pretty high if that's the case. That aside, great idea for the bike. I've often thought of how a flat bar, SS cross check would be a very simple and versatile bike.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshin View Post
    I'd like to see them throw out a Troll complete as a 650b option...or a new 650b model entirely. /short riders unite!
    Sadly, if we were to go by what a Salsa rep told me (owned by the same people), they're not interested in 650B. Notice how Salsa has given up 26ers in their line (not counting the fatbikes). But then again, with the way the industry moves, you never know.
    And to think the 1x1/Troll geo is perfect for 650B.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    According to the Surly blog they'll be posting a new product everyday this week. Today they introduced a SS CC complete. Also a new color. Looks great. Very smart.

Blog | Surly Bikes

I guess they forgot because that was last Wednesday and the only thing they have announced so far.

mtbr member

New stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    I guess they forgot because that was last Wednesday and the only thing they have announced so far.
    I just noticed that myself. I can't imagine it's gonna be anything too exciting. They've already announced the Krampus. Last year was a big year for them.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I want to know if there's any Big Dummy color updates or anything coming before I order one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Sadly, if we were to go by what a Salsa rep told me (owned by the same people), they're not interested in 650B. Notice how Salsa has given up 26ers in their line (not counting the fatbikes). But then again, with the way the industry moves, you never know.
    Okay, but even though Salsa and Surly have the same parent company, they are still two seperate brands with seperate identities. I'm sure Salsa gave up 26ers because with the 29er takeover of the hardtail market, 26ers are becoming more of a format for entry-level hardtails, dirt jumpers, and long travel full suspension. None of those types of bikes meet Salsa's "Adventure by Bike" theme. Surly, on the otherhand, doesn't have the same sort of unifying vision and is identified more with 4130 steel tubes and a willingness to market cutting edge designs. I think a Special Edition 650b 1x1 Complete, in the spirit of the 1x1 Rat Rod from a couple years ago, would be pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    If this is the case then it's already available, they don't need to ofiicially release one to make it a viable 650b platform. It's the tires that are the problem. My Troll remains a 26" bike until I can buy a set of Kenda Small block 8 tires, I have the wheels, waiting for the rubber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Those new fatbike tires look perfect for mud and other non-snow or sand riding!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The SS Crosscheck pricing is too steep. That is only $150 off a geared cross check. It should should be close to or at the steamroller pricing and have the open bar. I wonder if there will be a price increase this year across the board.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeagent View Post
    The SS Crosscheck pricing is too steep. That is only $150 off a geared cross check. It should should be close to or at the steamroller pricing and have the open bar. I wonder if there will be a price increase this year across the board.
    That's the rub, right? Only a $150 less that this year's price, but I'd bet money that the MSRP's will be higher for next year. That seems to be the way of things. If the prices do go up across the board, the SS CC will look like a better deal.

I frankly thought Ogre Complete was a little steep too, considering the rigid fork and nothing-special drivetrain. Come on, both the Salsa El Mar 3 and Fargo 3 cost less. And here I was, thinkin' Salsa was the "premium" brand and Surly was the "budget' brand. Maybe not so much.

Abby Normal
    I'd rather have seen a disc brake CC myself.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nm?
    Last edited by mwv; 08-14-2012 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    And here I was, thinkin' Salsa was the "premium" brand and Surly was the "budget' brand. Maybe not so much.
    I'd say that with this years line up (Warbird 2 frameset - MSRP $1299) I'd say Salsa is try to push itself into a more expensive market. There will be room between Surly and Salsa. I just hope the increases in Surly completes in Spring 2011 and the original release price the Ogre will mean Surly can hold off for now because they do represent a good value.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    If this is the case then it's already available, they don't need to ofiicially release one to make it a viable 650b platform. It's the tires that are the problem. My Troll remains a 26" bike until I can buy a set of Kenda Small block 8 tires, I have the wheels, waiting for the rubber.
    Not liking the Quasi-Moto?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hard to get In Canada, the distributors here never stray too far from the mainstream stuff. We actually had a better selection of 650b rims and tires 2 years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post

Blog | Surly Bikes
    I'm a little disappointed about the "new" Cross Check. Apart from the new color - no disc version, only a different bar and ssp - you local dealer could have built this up during the last years. This is no really news

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast