Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

New stuff from Surly

According to the Surly blog they'll be posting a new product everyday this week. Today they introduced a SS CC complete. Also a new color. Looks great. Very smart.

Blog | Surly Bikes
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

dying hurts.
    wow.
    $1000 retail......?
    $180 more than the steamroller, and $150 less than a geared complete crosscheck....
    weird.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Steamroller completes are going I believe...

mtbr member
    the new color looks great! i'm a little surprised they didn't go with their own open bar. My CC is set up with one now and it feels great.....maybe an attempt to differentiate it from the steamroller completes.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwall View Post
    the new color looks great! i'm a little surprised they didn't go with their own open bar. My CC is set up with one now and it feels great.....maybe an attempt to differentiate it from the steamroller completes.
    i agree. i was curious as to why they chose to use the open bar on the complete troll, but not the ogre complete...they decided to use a flat bar also...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks nice. I like the new color too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'd like to see them throw out a Troll complete as a 650b option...or a new 650b model entirely. /short riders unite!

mtbr member
    Very cool, looks like a fun candidate for a SSCX bike, just add tires...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The parts list seems to make the most of the frame: 42mm tires plus use those horizontal dropouts. I would (did) put dropbars onto my SS CC. But then I put gears on it after all so hey what do I know... (still SS/fix it for winter though)

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I really like the new SS CC complete. $1000 retail? Didn't see that. That seems pretty high if that's the case. That aside, great idea for the bike. I've often thought of how a flat bar, SS cross check would be a very simple and versatile bike.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshin View Post
    I'd like to see them throw out a Troll complete as a 650b option...or a new 650b model entirely. /short riders unite!
    Sadly, if we were to go by what a Salsa rep told me (owned by the same people), they're not interested in 650B. Notice how Salsa has given up 26ers in their line (not counting the fatbikes). But then again, with the way the industry moves, you never know.
    And to think the 1x1/Troll geo is perfect for 650B.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    According to the Surly blog they'll be posting a new product everyday this week. Today they introduced a SS CC complete. Also a new color. Looks great. Very smart.

Blog | Surly Bikes

I guess they forgot because that was last Wednesday and the only thing they have announced so far.

mtbr member

New stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    I guess they forgot because that was last Wednesday and the only thing they have announced so far.
    I just noticed that myself. I can't imagine it's gonna be anything too exciting. They've already announced the Krampus. Last year was a big year for them.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I want to know if there's any Big Dummy color updates or anything coming before I order one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Sadly, if we were to go by what a Salsa rep told me (owned by the same people), they're not interested in 650B. Notice how Salsa has given up 26ers in their line (not counting the fatbikes). But then again, with the way the industry moves, you never know.
    Okay, but even though Salsa and Surly have the same parent company, they are still two seperate brands with seperate identities. I'm sure Salsa gave up 26ers because with the 29er takeover of the hardtail market, 26ers are becoming more of a format for entry-level hardtails, dirt jumpers, and long travel full suspension. None of those types of bikes meet Salsa's "Adventure by Bike" theme. Surly, on the otherhand, doesn't have the same sort of unifying vision and is identified more with 4130 steel tubes and a willingness to market cutting edge designs. I think a Special Edition 650b 1x1 Complete, in the spirit of the 1x1 Rat Rod from a couple years ago, would be pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    If this is the case then it's already available, they don't need to ofiicially release one to make it a viable 650b platform. It's the tires that are the problem. My Troll remains a 26" bike until I can buy a set of Kenda Small block 8 tires, I have the wheels, waiting for the rubber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Those new fatbike tires look perfect for mud and other non-snow or sand riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The SS Crosscheck pricing is too steep. That is only $150 off a geared cross check. It should should be close to or at the steamroller pricing and have the open bar. I wonder if there will be a price increase this year across the board.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeagent View Post
    The SS Crosscheck pricing is too steep. That is only $150 off a geared cross check. It should should be close to or at the steamroller pricing and have the open bar. I wonder if there will be a price increase this year across the board.
    That's the rub, right? Only a $150 less that this year's price, but I'd bet money that the MSRP's will be higher for next year. That seems to be the way of things. If the prices do go up across the board, the SS CC will look like a better deal.

I frankly thought Ogre Complete was a little steep too, considering the rigid fork and nothing-special drivetrain. Come on, both the Salsa El Mar 3 and Fargo 3 cost less. And here I was, thinkin' Salsa was the "premium" brand and Surly was the "budget' brand. Maybe not so much.

Abby Normal
    I'd rather have seen a disc brake CC myself.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nm?
    Last edited by mwv; 08-14-2012 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    And here I was, thinkin' Salsa was the "premium" brand and Surly was the "budget' brand. Maybe not so much.
    I'd say that with this years line up (Warbird 2 frameset - MSRP $1299) I'd say Salsa is try to push itself into a more expensive market. There will be room between Surly and Salsa. I just hope the increases in Surly completes in Spring 2011 and the original release price the Ogre will mean Surly can hold off for now because they do represent a good value.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    If this is the case then it's already available, they don't need to ofiicially release one to make it a viable 650b platform. It's the tires that are the problem. My Troll remains a 26" bike until I can buy a set of Kenda Small block 8 tires, I have the wheels, waiting for the rubber.
    Not liking the Quasi-Moto?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hard to get In Canada, the distributors here never stray too far from the mainstream stuff. We actually had a better selection of 650b rims and tires 2 years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Blog | Surly Bikes
    I'm a little disappointed about the "new" Cross Check. Apart from the new color - no disc version, only a different bar and ssp - you local dealer could have built this up during the last years. This is no really news

I'm hoping for a peak of the 2013 Moonlander... anyone have an inside scoop on that? I can get a super good deal on a 2012, but wondering if I should wait, being it is new-bike-reveal-time-of-year.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    From the Surly Blog:

2013 changes:
    1x1-Blackhole Black frameset

Big Dummy-No changes

CrossCheck-Micro Shift shifters with friction/index adjustability, colors for the complete build are Black-n-Wrecker, Blark Due, Frame/fork are Billy Jack Black, Hospital Foam, Blark Due

Disc Trucker
    -Super Dark Green is your only color choice, Micro Shift shifters with friction/index adjustability

Karate Monkey
    - Ultra New hubs front and rear, Poser Black, Mandrill-Mug are your colors for completes and framesets

Krampus-Soon my friend

Long Haul Trucker- Micro Shift shifters with friction/index adjustability, Smog Silver, Vader Black are the colors for completes and framesets as well

Moonlander- Ultra New 135mm Disc front hub, added a 24”

Neck Romancer-Added a 14”, Nate 3.8” rear tire, Ultra New 135mm Disc front hub, Shimano SLX D Type front derailleur

Ogre-Black for the complete build & the frameset

Pacer-No changes

Pugsley
    -Micro **** shifters, Ultra New 135mm Disc front hub, added a 14”, Loaded Yellow and Engine Red for completes, Loaded Yellow, (Engine Red maybe) for framesets

Steamroller
    -Wave goodbye to a complete build of the Steamroller, available in Idiot-Black as a frameset

Troll-No changes to the build, Nurple Purple and Black for the complete bikes and the framesets

Trucker DeLuxe-No changes, the color is still Dave’s Frozen Tears

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Purple Troll FTW!!! I hope it's sparkly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thank goodness I bought a 2012 Ogre, would not have like the black one bit. I will deal with it on my impending Big Dummy though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I get Blark Due, but anyone have an idea what the color 'Hospital Foam' is for the Cross Check frameset?
    Last edited by mojodrago; 08-15-2012 at 01:15 PM.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Thank goodness I bought a 2012 Ogre, would not have like the black one bit. I will deal with it on my impending Big Dummy though.
    you and me both!
    army green is what makes the ogre!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My thoughts:

1. What's with all the black? How boring. I prefered the infamously ugly paint jobs of yore - at least they had some color.

2. Another component downgrade on the LHT and CC. First Sugino cranks to some no-name cranks, then XL stuff to SLX stuff, and now Ultegra shifters to Micro Shift? Crappy. I bet the price goes up too. Glad I bought mine in 2008.

3. Ditto on the KM. You used to get some nice blingy parts on the KM Complete when it first came out, but now its just the same ole', same ole' as every other rigid SS 29er. Bummer.

4 Get over the disc CC thing,people. Go buy a Salsa.

Done griping. I still like Surly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I'm a little disappointed about the "new" Cross Check. Apart from the new color - no disc version, only a different bar and ssp - you local dealer could have built this up during the last years. This is no really news
    To be fair, Surly never said it is a new Cross Check; the announcement was 'Old Friend Revisited' (emphasis mine)

Yeah, your dealer could build this up, as they could any of the completes. Theoretically, having a SS CC should save people some money compared to building up the frameset. But, as has been noted, the MSRP is a little hefty, so maybe not so much. I still think it'll prove popular, maybe even more than the geared CCs. Guess we'll see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sure is a lot of complainers in this thread. Considering the frameset pricing and fact that Surly and Salsa are boutique brands, I think they manage to price completes very well.
    Also since their number of designers can be counted on one hand, they can only do so much redesign each year.

The new CC colour is nice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mojodrago View Post
    I get Blark Due, but anyone have an idea what the color 'Hospital Foam' is for the Cross Check frameset?
    I'd say they just changed the name from the current one ("Robins Egg Blue" or whatever).

1. What's with all the black? How boring. I prefered the infamously ugly paint jobs of yore - at least they had some color.
    Go draw up a list of everything that went from "non-black option" to "only black". There's not that much changed.

Ultegra shifters to Micro Shift? Crappy.
    What used to be Ultegra? The BS77 bar-ends? Doesn't strike me as that big a deal.

Anyway, who wants to bet the Pacer will get discs before the CC? I still don't get how to make discs play nice with a horizontal dropout.

EDIT: Thumbs-up to Surly, looks like they still know what they're doing. I'm curious to see the new colours in person.

EDIT 2: Regarding the new CC price, I'm pretty sure labour ain't free. There's value in having a decent single-speed someone can ride out of the shop instead of clabbering together a bunch of parts they paid for years ago or over eBay.

EDIT 3: It's too bad the CC doesn't come with a cassette hub, though, because then you could really swap some gears on it quickly and economically.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What does amuse me about the black, however, is that I am assuming they are all the same color black (except for the sparkly Moonlander), but they just decided to come up with different names for the black for different bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    What does amuse me about the black, however, is that I am assuming they are all the same color black (except for the sparkly Moonlander), but they just decided to come up with different names for the black for different bikes
    You mean you really can't tell the difference between stretchpants black and tar pit black? Sheesh.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    re: Blog | Surly Bikes

I am not x-small, extra-awesome, for sure.

mtbr member
    My favorite Surly colors--Meth Teefs and Dark Black.

I live in Portland and I bet there'll be a ton of SS CCs on the road soon. I like the set-up with flat bar although agree with others, the Open Bar would have been better. It's such a great versatile bike and makes for a perfect commuter with the addition of fenders and a rack.

Glad nothing changed with the Big Dummy. I just advised my local shop to let me know when 20" BDs are in stock.

If I could dictate one change on one Surly frame--a kickstand plate on the LHT.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    you and me both!
    army green is what makes the ogre!
    same here...black is lame!!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If I could dictate one change on one Surly frame--a kickstand plate on the LHT.
    I use a greenfield rear triangle kickstand. It kind of chomps onto the spokeholder thingy but in 11k miles I have yet to do a roadside spoke change so I can live with that compromise...

It might be a warranty violation though, clamping onto the delicate flower of the chainstay tube. I have preferred to remain ignorant to that possibility.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Today on friday theres no new article as promised in the surly blog. Forgot it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any color you want, as long as it's black?

If Surly's plan was to get me to order a green 2012 Ogre frameset before they are all gone, it worked! Thanks, Surly. I just needed a little nudge.

Florida Trail Monkey

It's about right

Quote Originally Posted by strangeagent View Post
    Remember, the parts on the geared version aren't exactly the highest end in the world

There's probably right around $150 or so difference in parts between the new SS and the geared bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    I'd say they just changed the name from the current one ("Robins Egg Blue" or whatever).
    I'd like that. I <3 the blue color of that bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    Remember, the parts on the geared version aren't exactly the highest end in the world

There's probably right around $150 or so difference in parts between the new SS and the geared bike.
    I doubt there's much cost difference between different handlebars, cranks, and brake setups on the two versions. So, the only things extra on the geared CC, really, are the front and rear derailers, the cassette, and the barcon shifters. Maybe the rear hub, but I don't think cassette hubs are much pricier than SS hubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Maybe the rear hub, but I don't think cassette hubs are much pricier than SS hubs.
    front and rear m590 hubs on the geared complete cost less than either of the 2 new hubs the ss complete comes with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    and the 1st thing I'd replace on the ss complete is to swap that shimano freewheel for a white industries one...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cross Check Disc???

I noticed today that in the FAQ section on Surlys website they remove the FAQ for disc brake tab on the Cross Check...do you think that means there will be a 2013 disc Cross Check? I hope so!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedpants View Post
    a 2013 disc Cross Check? I hope so!!!!
    Took my CC with it's new la cruz fork out for its first ride recently, it felt a little less springy and more confidence inspiring while braking, the La Cruz Fork is an workable option and no canti mounts give it a clean look (and thanks to HardyWeinberg for pointing me toward them back in 2010)
    Last edited by theindividualist; 08-31-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast