Thread: New Pacer blue

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New Pacer blue

Have you seen the blue Pacer and if so what did you think of the color?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I haven't seen one in person, but the online picture makes me say, "blech". Or maybe just "meh". But then, that's the one thing I have always hated about Surly. They really love boring colors. I was thrilled when the Troll came out in orange. I wish they would offer two paint options - one normal staid, boring, blend into the background color, and one flashy in your face color. I'd love to see more red, yellow, purple, lime green, etc.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I haven't seen one in person, but the online picture makes me say, "blech". Or maybe just "meh". But then, that's the one thing I have always hated about Surly. They really love boring colors. I was thrilled when the Troll came out in orange. I wish they would offer two paint options - one normal staid, boring, blend into the background color, and one flashy in your face color. I'd love to see more red, yellow, purple, lime green, etc.
    Something tells me the powers to be don't like bright. It's a shame you have to fork out money for the frame then have it powder coated or painted to make it look as nice as it performs.
    Last edited by CS2; 04-26-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Personally I like the green or black the best since it gives the most option for accessories

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like the colour of the new Pacer. Of any bike company I think Surly uses the most appropriate names and colours for their bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There's pictures here and here, and I think it's a great colour. I'm pretty sure it's a metallic paint (sparkleboogie blue).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Have one

I have the blue Pacer. Very nice color. Not a sparkly blue ( I used to have an old Schwinn Homegrown bass boat blue - never should have sold it). I just posted a couple of shots of it in the "Pacer - unheralded" thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How hard is it to get a decent paint job out of rattlecans? Strip the decals, rough the powdercoat, (spray, let it dry, rough it up,)*as needed, spray, let it dry, and clearcoat a couple times, adding back the decals as needed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    How hard is it to get a decent paint job out of rattlecans? Strip the decals, rough the powdercoat, (spray, let it dry, rough it up,)*as needed, spray, let it dry, and clearcoat a couple times, adding back the decals as needed.
    After all that work, your bike might look good for a few months. Spraypaint is just too soft and scratches too easily. If that's what you like to do - go for it. I'd still rather have a nice powder coated frame in a color that appeals to me.

I saw an internet posting recently where a guy took a Troll and had it powder coated to a boring green color. Obviously he took exception to the one Surly frame that wasn't a wallflower. The problem with that is even a cheap powdercoat is a significant expenditure compared to the cost of the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Exactly. I've done that to both my pugsley and a new cross check frame. $4 at Ace hardware and $14 for decals and I'm a happy camper. It holds up quite well - I do not baby that pugsley!

http://velospace.org/node/33924