mtbr member
    Dec 2008

New KM Owner but....

I bought a CL 2005 KM, I have built it but can not get the rear derailleur (Sram x7) to drop all the way down to the smallest cog. I had the LBS check the hanger and they said it was fine and suggested shimming the derailleur... Seems like that is a bad idea but maybe I am missing something? Other facts:
    1. RD worked fine on the bike I took it off
    2. I am not 100% sure I have the spacers correct on the XT hub for 9 speed, but others said it was
    3. I have back off the limiter completely (confirmed I had the right screw)

lord of my world
    It's probably the hub spacing. Sounds like you may be missing one on the drive side.

locked - time out
    Jun 2010
    It sounds more like you need to space the rear der out. Common issue with SRAM.

Your LBS should have a 2mm axle washer (or order one for you).
    Should fix ya right up.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Kev-Bot, I will check it with the LBS, I am not thinking hub, since the wheel and RD worked on the old frame... spacing seems like a good starting point!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    not the hub. it's a documented SRAM issue. It happened with my x9. Search the forums and youll find other bikes with the same problem. Add a washer or two and youre fine. ive been running it for over a year without issue

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Steel frames tend to have (not seen a KM hanger to confirm) thinner hangers, so the mech is a smidge closer to the cassette. This can mean the high adjuster (for high gears, ie. the small ones) is not what is stopping the mech. Spacing out the mech 2mm could help you a lot, but yes, its not ideal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Funny, I had this exact same issue come up not 20 minutes ago. I just switched my drivetrain over to sram 10s with an x9 rear derailleur and the chain wasn't dropping to the small, just like you described. I spaced it out with a washer and it was all good.

Happy Trails,
    Winky

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    OK I got the rear fixed. I have an answer, I unbolted the RD, un-did the cable and re-installed, it works great. I also received the recommended LX FD and installed it... with Conti Race King 2.2 I do not see it working, I did replace the tightening bolt with a button head, but I still have too use the tug thing to keep from rubbing the side of the cage on the tire and there is NO clearance in front of the tire. I just ordered the Monkey Nuts, every ride I am hitting something hard enough the shift the wheel sideways. This bike is being a challenge to set up ; )

Like a FirePlug
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikefj View Post
    OK I got the rear fixed. I have an answer, I unbolted the RD, un-did the cable and re-installed, it works great. I also received the recommended LX FD and installed it... with Conti Race King 2.2 I do not see it working, I did replace the tightening bolt with a button head, but I still have too use the tug thing to keep from rubbing the side of the cage on the tire and there is NO clearance in front of the tire. I just ordered the Monkey Nuts, every ride I am hitting something hard enough the shift the wheel sideways. This bike is being a challenge to set up ; )
    Monkey Nuts!
    Keep the Rubber Side Down