Thread: New KM Owner

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

New KM Owner

Just picked this up today. This is also my first SS rigid 29er purchase.
    I replaced the saddle and grips so far, and I am sure there will be much more to come...
    Can't wait to hit the trail!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New KM Owner-surly-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    nice bike....I love it

Ariolimax columbianus
    that's sweet....i've been waiting for an 18" frame to come in stock. just bought an ogre a couple months back, now it needs a friend.

Expert Crasher
    nice setup!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Took my first ride today and other than the stock 33 x 17 being waaaaay too tall of a gear for me, it was a great first ride!
    I am thinking 32 x 20 immediately, and the possibility of a front fork down the road a little bit...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice pic! I too am a new KM owner, about 1 month. I just switched to 32x20 from 32x18 and for the time being the 32x20 is perfect. I LOVE my KM and haven't ridden my 26 FS but twice since getting the KM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Added a White Bashguard today, and will definitely be going with the 32 x 20 and probably a new Reba Fork (White of course) as soon as the funds allow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New KM Owner-ebay-memorial-day-weekend-002.jpg  

New KM Owner-ebay-memorial-day-weekend-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    simply and sweet...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ARay and Sngtrkwr, what kind of trails/elevation gain are you tackling with this rig? I ask because I still have the 33x17 stock gearing and have been riding for about a year (CO). Was my first SS so I didn't know what to expect. There is walking involved (duh) but I'm considering an 18 or 19. Do you find yourself wishing for that taller gear on flattish terrain, or is it a good trade to be able to climb more/walk less?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey Scout,

I am riding in MA and my trails are flat to short, punchy anaerobic hills so I wanted to be able to ride all the hills and not walk at all. I give up a little speed on the flats with the 32x20 but it was a good trade off to be able to ride more of the hills. I don't race and my rides are for enjoyment and exercise. I have done some riding in CO and you must have some stout legs to be riding your terrain in a 33x17!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Scout, I ride in PA, where each trail system is completely different from the next, but everything I ride is very hilly,rocky and the climbs are mostly pretty steep. The stock gearing was near impossible to ride anything here except for some dirt roads, so I am switching it out to a White Industries 20T freewheel (coming in tomorrow hopefully) I also just put my new Reba RLT on last night, too, what a difference, love it...
    I am a brand new SS owner and bought this bike to give it a try while my brand new Stumpy Carbon Comp 29er is in for warranty (blew out the fork). Fox takes so long that I knew I needed to purchase another bike...Sad but true, and my LBS does not offer loaners either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the feedback guys, always looking for opinions on what those have found to be their "magic gear". It's a fun bike nevertheless. I've kept mine rigid thus far but will likely add some suspension at some point.

So you are a fan of the RLT on that frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love the RLT on this frame... Pics to come!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Fork installed! Can't wait to hit the trail!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New KM Owner-stuff-008.jpg