mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New karate monkey vs old ? More of the same?

Ok I'm not trying to be troll like in the surly forum.

Here's my surly background : 1x1 loved it, purple pugsley loved it, instigator loved it......so I thought I'd get the karate monkey.

Being a bit cash strapped, I got a used heavily 2003 green one with a marzocchi fork.

Usually when I hop on a surly it's all good, but this one rode terribly, toe overlap, felt nervous when descending.

Just wondering ..is it just me ?

mtbr member
    Probably a poorly mated suspension fork. I don't have any of those feelings on my Ogre (or 2005 KM when I had it). Have you tried it with the stock fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No I don't have the stock fork. It's s marzocchi 80mm comp fork. Maybe I can try and get one.
    It's mainly the toe overlap that get me. But I'm 5'8 on an 18" with size 9 shoes

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ride a 2011 KM 18" frame, about 6' 1" and size 10 running DMR V12mag or V8 pedals (same pedal body size)
    Rigid fork, some times catch my toes in tight steep turns when feet are a bit too forward on the pedals, also got this with a SIR9 on it's steel fork as well.
    I put it down as normal and foot position as it happens on other 29ers, not something i am worried about.

I do chuck mine about a bit and prefer flat pedals as sometimes you need to eject quickly in Downhill races
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New karate monkey vs old ? More of the same?-377607_10151509510845530_812599149_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Don't know if my Ogre is the same as your KM, but no toe-overlap, even with full fenders, on my 18" Ogre and size 11 shoes. That's with the stock 468mm rigid fork. (Not sure how different the older KM frames are, so I'm probably no help at all)

Your Marzocchi fork may not have enough rake or be too short? If it felt nervous descending, I'd vote for the fork being too short and making your head-angle too steep.

mtbr member
    To speak to your thread title, the new KM has the same geo as the old KM, so no change there.
    FS: Chinese carbony goodness, trade for a steel frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey thanks guys, I won't bother with a newer one because it's more of the same. I might look at the fork and fit a longer travel one.
    Yes I will post pics when I work out how