mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New Karate Monkey Owner! Forks, Crank & BB advice wanted!

Greetings all.

I am a new Karate Monkey owner and very pleased with it so far. My current build is as follows and I am hoping to add to it.

Surly Karate Monkey 16'' Frame
    Thomson Elite Seat Post
    Chris King Headset
    Hope Stem
    Raceface Deux Low Riser Handlebars
    White Industries 16T Freewheel
    Raceface 44T with FireX crank

I will be staying with singlespeed. I previously had a singlespeed Bob Jackson track bike with a White Industries ENO crank and Phil Wood bottom bracket - sadly all smashed to bits after a road accident! I would like a similar setup for my Karate Monkey. Would I be right in assuming that I would need a 113mm Phil Wood bottom bracket to go with a White Industries ENO crank?

Also I am contemplating replacing the rigid forks with suspension forks! I am hoping for a more comfortable ride. The accicent shattered my left clavicle and shoulder. The roads and paths where I cycle are as bumpy as hell and make it painful over long distances. Would suspension forks make any real difference?

Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

mtbr member
    A suspension fork would definitely help with easing shoulder pain, but in the interim, a nice 2.4 ardent or similar high volume tire would work. I would recommend trying a high-volume tire first, since its the cheaper solution.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you for the reply. I am not too familiar with tyres and what high volume means. At present I have Salsa rims using 700X35 Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tyres. I pump them up to about 65 PSI. Perhaps they could be the problem?

As for suspension forks can anyone recommend a set?