mtbr member

New fork or new stem?

This may be an obvious question, i don't know: I'm looking to get my bars just a little higher on my CC, close to even with saddle height. The least costly choice would be to get a higher rise stem, but i'm also considering a new fork and cutting less steerer tube off. the question i've been wondering about is, other than aesthetics, is there a practical difference between using a steeper stem to get the bars up and having a lower rise stem higher on the steerer tube? That is in terms of leverage or handling? wasn't sure whether this should be in a more general discussion, hut yall surly owners on here seem pretty knowledgeable. photo is below. I'm kicking myself for not having asked for another spacer on top of my stem when the LBS cut the steerer tube. should have known, since i'm constantly tinkering with the bar height on my other bike that has a quill stem. lesson learned on that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New fork or new stem?-2011-11-16-12.17.40.jpg  

mtbr member

If you just want your bars higher the Delta stem riser gives you up to 3" of adjustment for ~$30. You don't have to change your stem or fork.

I've used one in the past for a year and it worked fine.

Stems - Alloy Stem Raiser -- Delta Cycle

One thing to note about these is that the Delta unit keeps tension on your headset so you can move the bars up and down in 2 seconds with a hex key allowing super fast adjustment if you want to try a bunch of different riding positions.

To answer you original question - it doesn't matter if you use the same stem on a taller fork steerer tube or a higher rise stem on the same fork.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Bars with a shorter read and less drop will also help you not feel so stretched. Seems like the cheapest solution though is to just try a stem with 15 degree slope and the appropriate length. I take it your current stem is a 7 degree, right?

One thing to remember, as you bring the bars up your reach expands.

Learn About Bikes with Rivendell Bicycle Works
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post

One thing to remember, as you bring the bars up your reach expands.

Learn About Bikes with Rivendell Bicycle Works
    thanks for the replies. i'm thinking that since i only need a little more height, i'll go with the stem option. yes, my current stem is 7 degrees. i think a 15 degree would probably get me there. in terms of length, i thought because of the head tube angle, the same length stem would result in less reach as the angle gets steeper/ bars higher. is that not right? much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    use this handy tool to see how much height and reach you gain or lose by changing your stem's angle or length...Stem Chart

I think it starts to look goofy with more than 50mms of head tube spacers, that's just me

mtbr member
    Thanks, that stem chart is very helpful. Going to need to break out the tape measure to get my exact measurements. that takes a lot of the guess work out.........next time around, definitely going to leave a spacer or 2 on top, since i'm one of those people who likes to try out different bar heights.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    when I got the salsa enabler fork on my sawyer I stacked every spacer I had on there just to make sure I wouldn't cut it to short... (turns out to be about 70mm of spacers on there lol... and with low rise bars and a 7* stem the bars are still below my seat level ;-)

while it looks goofy it lets me play with and find the proper stem height/length combo... as you're finding out now it's a lot easier to remove metal then add

in the end no it doesn't really matter how you go about getting the right bar height/reach (and that stem chart calculator shows how every little bit you move it can make a difference)... on a traditional mtb you've got spacers, extream angle stems and even super high riser bars... but in the end it doesn't really matter how you do it as long as it fits you well

that being said... this is on surly forks... or forks with steel steerer tubes... goto carbon or alu and things change.

dug around online and heres surly's offical take on the subject
    Steve,

We don't specify any maximum amount of stack spacers you can use. Feel free to leave the steer tube uncut and stack 'er all the way up. The steel steer tube on the Surly fork is not even going to flinch at this. Most carbon steer tube forks and some aluminum steer tube forks will say you can't have more than x length of spacers. That ain't us. Go for it.

If your shop has questions, they're more than welcome to call. 877-743-3191

Cheers,
    Eric Sovern
    Surly Bikes
    and the thread it originated from Long exposed steerer tube : legal/warranty issue ?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie