mtbr member
    Jun 2010

My Steamroller build

So I recently picked up a Steamroller framset. Frame, fork, headset came with it.

Now this is my first bike build. I'll mainly be using the bike to commute to and from school, so I don't need super fancy components, but I'd like some good quality/durable ones to make a reliable means of transportation.

As far as my knowledge of road bike components and set up goes I'm very limited. I'm trying to educate myself but just end up getting so confused. I need help/recommendations mainly for the drive train, i.e. cranks, bottom bracket, rear hub, and gearing.

I definitely want to run a single speed setup, I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of a fixie but I've been considering a flipflop hub in case I ever change my mind.

Another item on my "wish-list" is a front disc brake. I know the stock fork won't work for this so what forks could I exchange it with? Could I use a KM fork? Or would it just look silly with a road wheel in it?

I'm up for suggestions on anything. Wheelsets I'm a a little lost on as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've received some good advice in the commuter forum but they've also sent me here for more help.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That KM fork is FAR too long. You most likely wont find a fork with the correct Axle to Crown and offset numbers. While Salsa's la cruz disc fork will slacken out your head tube angle, its offset will bring your trail under control and I've had good luck with it on my steamroller.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by timk125 View Post
    I'm up for suggestions on anything
    Here's one...forget the front disc.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist View Post
    Here's one...forget the front disc.
    But it looks so cool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutbutter View Post
    That KM fork is FAR too long. You most likely wont find a fork with the correct Axle to Crown and offset numbers. While Salsa's la cruz disc fork will slacken out your head tube angle, its offset will bring your trail under control and I've had good luck with it on my steamroller.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you really want a disc brake, your best bet is to buy a Surly Disc Trucker 26" fork. The 26" Disc Trucker fork has an axle-to-crown of 376mm, while the Steamroller fork has an axle-to-crown of 375mm. For reference, the 700c Disc Trucker fork has an axle-to-crown of 390mm.

A 700c wheel will fit the 26" Disc Trucker fork just fine. Only thing is that you have to wait for them to become available, which I hear is sometime in May.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post
    If you really want a disc brake, your best bet is to buy a Surly Disc Trucker 26" fork. The 26" Disc Trucker fork has an axle-to-crown of 376mm, while the Steamroller fork has an axle-to-crown of 375mm. For reference, the 700c Disc Trucker fork has an axle-to-crown of 390mm.

A 700c wheel will fit the 26" Disc Trucker fork just fine. Only thing is that you have to wait for them to become available, which I hear is sometime in May.
    Thank you sir. I'll look into it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How's your 'roller coming? Got any parts hung on it yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Still waiting to get the frame set back from powder coat. I'll try and post some pictures when I get it back!

mtbr member

just throwing it out there...

Built a few Rollers, and the Sram Omnium is an awesome crankset.
    Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post
    Built a few Rollers, and the Sram Omnium is an awesome crankset.
    I'll look into it, I've been heavily considering the fsa gimondi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    IMG_4081

IMG_4084

IMG_4088

IMG_4092

She's just about done. Just waiting on a new seat post clamp because I ordered the wrong size.

Also new pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    look into a dimension cyclocross disc fork. it has the shortest A-C length for a disc for that i know of

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was going to suggest a fix/fix flipflop hub because you can always put a freewheel onto a fix hub but cannot readily put a cog plus lockring on a freewheel hub. But I see you got wheels already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    I was going to suggest a fix/fix flipflop hub because you can always put a freewheel onto a fix hub but cannot readily put a cog plus lockring on a freewheel hub. But I see you got wheels already.
    I have the flip flop hub on the back. I'm starting freewheel and I may experiment with the fixie side later. It's my first "road" frame and setup so it feels a little weird compared to my rockhopper.