mtbr member
    Sep 2009

My poor CrossCheck

Its sitting in the bike stand completely stripped down except for the brakes and headset. I got a Salsa Vaya frame and decided that the geometry was a little better suited for my needs.

This...

Became this....

So, I am thinking I am going to turn my CC into a SS cruiser!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I really liked my cross check best in singlespeed mode, go for it!

mtbr member
    That sounds like a great idea! My Xcheck would be more than happy to be a single speed, get-on-and-go bike! I think as long as they see rolling time, they don't care how you ride them.

If it were me, I'd use the following:
    SKS Longboard Fenders in Silver
    Vitoria Randonnneur Tire in 40
    Civia Dupont Handlebar in Silver
    Ergon Biocork Large

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yep...got some crazy big sweep chrome cruiser bars, black and yellow Planet Bike Trippy grips, a black springer Brooks, yellow PB fenders, etc.

vaultbrad....those bars are REALLY cool....hmmmmmm..... might have to rethink the bars!

What kind of gearing to you SS guys recommend? I figure it will be around the neighborhood riding and maybe some 10mph cruising with the wife on the bike path.

mtbr member
    For SS its a game of compromises. I like enough gearage to not spin out at jogging speed, but not so much that I have to stand up and really mash to get going from a stop. Esp for a round the hood, short trips, family fun rides, I'd go with a mid 50s to low 60s in gear inches. I'd likely choose 36x18 or 36x17 or equivalent.

I'd also like a bar that doesn't shorten the top tube too much since it's not super long to begin with, which is why I mentioned those bars as they have a big sweep but also some reach to keep you upright but not 90degrees upright. There are plenty of other bars out there that would do the same thing that could likely be had for less money as well.

Keep us updated, and of course post pictures!

PS The Vaya looks brilliant(dare I say more appropriate than the cross check? gasp!)