REALLY?

MY NEW KM + Help (size and year of my new KM)

Just bought this off craig's, guy I bought it from says its an 18", but when I measure it against my GT Peace 9R (18" also) the KM s is bigger, like closer to the size of my 19" Reline Monocog I just sold. My KM from center BB to center TT I believe was 18-1/2" assuming I measured it correctly. Also, anyone have an idea what year this bike is, the bike is very new condition, I wanna say/assume 2009 or 2010 based on the newishness? Anyway, here's the pic.

DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yep, it looks just like my 18'' KM. Being that it is gusseted at the HT and black I would say it's 2007 or newer. They've made it in black for ages now and I think the gusset started in '07. My '06 is black and non-gusseted.

Very nice looking bike!

REALLY?
    I will just assume it's a 2009 I guess then...its a big 18". As I said, feels a wee bit big, and I'm 5'11"...but that's ok, its my commuter bike anyway. Thanks WHP.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just an fyi... Surly measures their frames from the center of the BB to the top of the top tube.

REALLY?
    In that case wouldn't that make this KM a 19" frame? My GT is measured the same way, and GT is exactly 18" from center to top.

mtbr member
    It might, but either way its a sweet bike. you can always play with stems as well. Looks good

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    For a diagram and explanation of how Surly measures from them check out "Frame Size" about a little more than half way down this page: http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/spew_bike_fit/

Another way to find the size is indirectly through the actual top tube length or other defining measurement. Here is a link to Surly's 2009 catalog to see those numbers (scroll down to the Monkey): http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...t_2009_web.pdf

I don't know how GT measures their frames. Use Surly's diagrams and measure exactly how they do. All I can do is give you is the information on how Surly measures and then it's up to your mad measuring skills

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/faqs/#q9

It's the 9th question. Surly does a great job of supplying owners with plenty of info on their site and blog. Check it out.

REALLY?
    Thanks a lot for the input and links. I am enjoying the bike either way like you said...very cool very well made bike indeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If standover is an issue and you're using that as a commuter, I would swap those monsters out for some cyclocross tires or semi-slicks. Should detract a little from the TT.

REALLY?
    Standover is ok, I did do some more research though and Surly measures from center BB to top of ST. So I measured again and what I in fact have (according to my measurements) a large frame, my measurements are 19-1/2" (give a 1/2" margin of error since I didn't remove the seat clamp) and my frame measures 20" - large.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I still really think you have an 18'' frame. Look at mine, how the top tube comes down relative to the rear tire. Mine's an 18'' and so is yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MY NEW KM + Help (size and year of my new KM)-sams-pictures-306.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yup. 18"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sounds like you are measuring to the top of the seat tube. Surly measures to the top of the top tube. If you're getting 19-1/2" to the top of the seat tube, you probably will get 18" to the top of the top tube. I'd bet that everybody else is correct that you've got an 18" ride there.

Edit: re-read Surly's spew from how to measure their frames. They go over very specifically how they measure. C-T to them means center of BB to top of top tube, not top of seat tube. Easy overlook.

REALLY?
    According to this picture its center to top, which is also what it says.

Seat Tube Length (Center-Top) 16.0 18.0 20.0 22.0

According to the picture, we're are both wrong

CONFUSED

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01

Edit: re-read Surly's spew from how to measure their frames. They go over very specifically how they measure. C-T to them means center of BB to top of top tube, not top of seat tube. Easy overlook.
    Still confused...what "spew"? Link?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Jeffgothro,

On Surly's site go to the Blog section and then on the right of the screen they have the Spew items about their frames.

Here's a quote from there frame size section along with a link to get there (also entry #7 of this posting has it):

http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/spew_bike_fit/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Frame Size"

Frame size generally refers to frame height, the length of the seat tube from the bottom bracket (crank bearing) to the top tube. There is a problem with this. That problem is that it tells you only a little about how the bike will fit you.

Long ago, bicycles were all shaped pretty much the same. That's not true anymore. Also, frames are measured differently. Some companies measure from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube/seat tube junction. (also known as C-C) That's a pretty good way of doing things, but doesn't really take into account differences in tubing diameter which would make a steel 54cm bike "shorter" than an aluminum 54cm since aluminum tubes tend to larger in diameter.

Other frame manufacturers measure from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube like the point where you actually insert the seat post. (Call it C-T) This baffles us because if two frames had the exact same geometries and tube lengths, but one had more material sticking up above the top tube, the frame would be "larger" even though it would ride the same as its "smaller" compadre. Weird.

We measure our frames from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube/top tube junction. (Uh oh, call this one
    C-T too) This gives you at least some small idea of how big the frame will seem, but in no way gives you the whole picture.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Check the picture you posted more carefully. They are measuring to the top of the seat tube brace. That's were they would have run the top of the top tube into without the brace.

REALLY?
    Ok, I gotcha now...sorry bout the confusion. Thanks a lot, much appreciated.