mtbr member
    Apr 2006

MWOD cranks- am I supposed to use a washer where I thread the pedal onto crank arms?

I just picked up a Necro Pugs and when I got it home and was putting my pedals on, I noticed the crank arms have a space where a washer would fit, like my Truvativ Firex crank on my Ogre. So I take it a washer is supposed to go there?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I just picked up a Necro Pugs and when I got it home and was putting my pedals on, I noticed the crank arms have a space where a washer would fit, like my Truvativ Firex crank on my Ogre. So I take it a washer is supposed to go there?
    Note: This is based on the Mr. Whirly, not the MWOD, which use the same design but are not the same crank.

Depends on the pedals. Some pedals have a spindle that would rub against the crank arm if the washer wasn't there. Most, like my SPD M520 pedals, don't need them.

I think they're a good idea to install regardless of whether you need them; that way if you ever switch pedals you won't have any issues. Worst case, you're carrying around an extra 0.25oz.

Ref: Surly Mr. Whirly tools & parts - ThingLink
    Note bottom left corner - I have two washers there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah it was more about where to purchase them from- I used the set off my Ogre for now, I imagine my LBS will have some. I had some Deity platform pedals installed and without the washers, the spindle threading came out the other end of the hole. I guess that means "use washers."
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy