mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtn bike gearing, but larger big ring?

i'm considering an Ogre in a multi-purpose build. it would see most use as a commuter and weekend riding bike, replacing a road specific touring bike, that is not unlike a LHT. it will also see use as a trail bike at times, and some bikepacking.

question is this- given a std mtn bike gearing, as offered stock, is the big ring enough for road riding, if you've been used to more traditional road (touring) gearing? i guess you just spend most of your time in the big ring (unlike on the other bike, where i'm only in the big ring on long descents). can the std derailers f and r, allow for a bigger front ring if desired? do people put 48t or something? i would probably be running a drop bar with bar cons.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Not sure a 48t ring will fit, per Surly website, Chainring clearance is 26/36/46t

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have my Ogre set up for commuting and some trail riding and I can't imagine needing a bigger chainring. The weight of the bike and utility nature just don't seem to work as a speed machine, least not for me. I've slowed down to enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by mike1125biking; 03-24-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    that may make sense. Mike, do you ever feel that you run out of gears? can you cruise on the flats, if you want around 15mph, without spinning out? it's been a long time since i've ridden a big ring on the mtn bike, and never with slicks. (i'm a Canucklehead so i normally ride around 20-25km not much more unless i feel like hauling or i'm late for work ;]

mtbr member
    I'd be impressed by anybody that could spin out a 44/46x11. Thats a serious gear. The gear will feel bigger as the tires get bigger too being a 29"er. Almost 122 gear inches.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was riding the other day, checking out the tires I put on my Ogre and was running 23mph and still had two cogs left. I doubt many commuters could spin out the gears even if they wanted to. YMMV but I think it will be fine
    Last edited by mike1125biking; 03-25-2012 at 05:02 AM.
    Ride what you like, how you like, just remember that's what everybody else is doing too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what are you using for your street tires Mike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am going to start out with Kenda Kross Plus 700x40. They have a nice smooth center and some side knobs so I can still take the road less traveled without worrying as much. Just carrying a pump to air back up as needed. But then, I always carry a pump
    Ride what you like, how you like, just remember that's what everybody else is doing too.

Devo
    I use a 48/34/24 x 32/11t on my rigid 29er shod in Vulpines.
    i think its about 127 gear inch, which is good for about 50mph by the time I loose any decent form.
    yes... I actually use that gear, and as crazy as it sounds, I use it often, obviously on paved descents.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Asana Cycles, nice website! some really cool photos in there, i can't believe you got a shot of a bobcat in the day light, and he wasn't even looking your way! very cool!

I Ride for Donuts
    I have my Access 29er set up with drop bars, bar cons, and a road double 50/36 crankset with 2.35" Big Apples.. The Access is only supposed to clear a 44, and the 50 tooth is very, very close to the chainstay. I've had no issues with it though.
    BUT for touring, I swapped it out for my MTB 44/32/22 crankset. The big ol big ring is overkill for touring, IMO.
    All that to say, I'm betting you could go bigger than 46 on the Ogre if you wanted to cram it on there, but I don't think you'd use it much.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree with the concensus here. It will probably fit just fine. It's not a gear that I think you will need but it's not much money to find out. If it's flat where you ride and not too windy it might just get some use. I know I don't need any higher gearing for my rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The tallest gear on my 'cross bike (with 700c x 38 tires) is a 50x11 and I often get spun out on long descents on dirt roads. But to each their own...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey folks I have the same question as cunningstunts and it also pertains to Ogre plans. I am wondering if a bigger middle and outer ring can be put on a Shimano XT M780 3x10 drivetrain. To go from 24/32/42 to 24/36/46 or would I need to just get a 3x9 like the SLX ? I've looked and I don't see any 10 speed rings in those sizes. Anybody know if that can be done? thanx.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone who thinks they *need* a bigger gear then 44x11 needs to learn to pedal faster IMHO. I have 40x11 on my Fargo and use that rarely - 13T would have been enough 90+% of the time, but no suitable cassettes exist.