Ska
    Steel is real.

Mr. Whirly coming loose........anyone else?

Just wondering if anyone else is having (or has had) any issues with the Surly Mr. Whirly crankset coming loose.

Each time I head out, I seem to return with a loose drive side crank arm. I've gone over the assembly with a fine toothed comb and it is assembled correctly and to spec but that damn arm keeps coming loose. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm going to tear it apart (hopefully tonight) start from scratch and give it another once over but, I must admit, it's getting extremely annoying. The only thing I may add this time is a little lock-tight.

Anyone else have issues/suggestions?

Thanks.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

May 2009
    Yah, it happens to alot of them. Your crank arm was loose the first time. Once it happens usually the crank arm is damaged and it will continue no matter what you do.

It is typically not the fault of the crank but the initial install.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've never had the drive side come loose. The non-drive side has because they specced too short of a pre-load bolt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Can you just pack more grease around the bolt when you tighten it back up?

mtbr member
    I've lost two pre-load bolts now and had the crank fall off once because of it. I can't speak to the first bolt as it was on a Karate Monkey complete, so I didn't install it, but the second one I ordered and it was one of the 'longer' version.
    I've gone back to some old square-tapers for the time being, and the Whirly's are in a box. I was planning on ordering another bolt to give it one more shot, but I'm bummed to hear it may be damaged now and no longer salvageable.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I've been having this same conversation in the Fat-bike forum and it would seem (as I was suspecting) that the spec'd drive side crank bolt torque is a little on the low side.

I ended up tearing it all apart again and re-installing it. If it loosens again, I'll tighten it beyond the spec'd torque. I have no choice and it seems I wouldn't be the first.

I'm sure it'll work out.

mtbr member
    Contact Surly. They will help you out. There is a longer pre-load bolt available. I would not recommend torquing that bolt over spec which will result in bearing binding.

Again, contact Surly. I've had issues with two sets of Mr. Whirly cranks and they've been helping me out.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Yah, it happens to alot of them. Your crank arm was loose the first time. Once it happens usually the crank arm is damaged and it will continue no matter what you do.

It is typically not the fault of the crank but the initial install.
    Install was done to EXACT spec and still loosened off...........not the only one it's happened to dude.

I remember old square taper cranks doing what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Contact Surly. They will help you out. There is a longer pre-load bolt available. I would not recommend torquing that bolt over spec which will result in bearing binding.
    Pre-load bolt was not the issue in this case. The preload bolt is just that, a preload bolt. There was no excessive torque (nor should there EVER be) put on it. The torque was all on the crank bolt (on the drive side) which has nothing to do with bearing adjustment.

Bearing adjustment is made via the preload bolt after the crank bolt is installed.

For the record (as others who have had the same problem have done), in this case, cranking it passed the spec'd torque range cured the problem.

Awesome.