Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Moloko Bar!

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfltroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    626

    Moloko Bar!

    Just noticed this now as I was checking out the updated website. Talk about taking a good design and making it better. One of these will be gracing my Big Dummy as soon as they're available.

    Moloko Bar | Parts | Surly Bikes
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    It seems that the new Moloko bar low rise is the perfect bar for me.
    Plenty of room for lights and GPS and all that stuff on the front of the bar.
    I like it.
    Its a good take off on the Jeff Jones original bar.
    Hopefully it is not in the same price range. The JJ are expensive, worth it though.

  3. #3
    Still want a fat bike....
    Reputation: Dalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    263
    I roll the open bar right now, bu that may change when this one comes to market. I like it!
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,664
    This bar with the new Ergon grips for swept back bars could be an awesome combo!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    465
    Here's a pic I found from Interbike: http://fat-bike.com/wp-content/uploa...d-new-bars.jpg

    Looks like a winner!!. Anyone else found more pics?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattbryant2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    This bar with the new Ergon grips for swept back bars could be an awesome combo!
    What are these grips you speak of?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vaultbrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    This bar with the new Ergon grips for swept back bars could be an awesome combo!
    Indeed? Elaborate, please.

  8. #8
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Just noticed this now as I was checking out the updated website. Talk about taking a good design and making it better. One of these will be gracing my Big Dummy as soon as they're available.

    Moloko Bar | Parts | Surly Bikes
    An Loop H-bar in reverse! An "A-bar"???
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    What are these grips you speak of?
    They showed them at Eurobike, here's a pic and blurb from bikerumor:

    "New GC1 grips are designed for city bikes with bent handlebars to put the hand and wrist in a straighter, more neutral position. Also available in a shorter one to work with twist shifters. They get an updated rubber compound, too."

    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    48
    when will these come out at LBS?
    the moloko I mean?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    465
    They are supposed to be at Q on 11/15.

    Looks like the same MSRP as the Open Bar ($60).

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    They showed them at Eurobike, here's a pic and blurb from bikerumor:

    "New GC1 grips are designed for city bikes with bent handlebars to put the hand and wrist in a straighter, more neutral position. Also available in a shorter one to work with twist shifters. They get an updated rubber compound, too."

    ennh?
    they sell us grips that allow us to rotate our wrists a bit, giving us more of a swept bar feel, then when we buy swept bars they try to sell grips that give us more of a flat-bar feel?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: backcountryeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    ennh?
    they sell us grips that allow us to rotate our wrists a bit, giving us more of a swept bar feel, then when we buy swept bars they try to sell grips that give us more of a flat-bar feel?
    Haha!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,325
    The MSRP is $60 or 70- I spec'd them on my Big Dummy build but I don't know that my shop tried to order them yet, I wasn't aware that they weren't available until November... hmmm.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattdokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    So will this have similar geometry to H Loop bar?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    342
    Surly's website states that they are an Open Bar with a crossbar welded in. So.....

    Open Bar / Moloko Bar
    Sweep Angle: 53 degrees
    Width: 666mm

    Loop H-Bar
    Sweep Angle: 45 degrees
    Width (center to center): 667mm

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    668
    One of these in a ~30 degree sweep would rock my socks. Maybe one day.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hand/of/Midas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,682
    I put Jones bars on a lot of bikes, but the price of these is super good. I like this.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    655
    Any news on this handlebar?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: quiksilverkurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11
    It is too bad that it is not a 31.8mm stem. I also believe the H Bar would be better for single track as it has a regular straight bar grip to it. I am sticking with the H bar for my Ogre but will consider this bar for a future Big Dummy build.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~ H.G. Wells

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: quiksilverkurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11

    availability

    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Any news on this handlebar?
    QBP claims they will be in stock on January 1st. So I would guess they would be available to your LBS in mid to late January.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~ H.G. Wells

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    655
    Thanks
    Looking forward to see some reviews

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilverkurt View Post
    It is too bad that it is not a 31.8mm stem. I also believe the H Bar would be better for single track as it has a regular straight bar grip to it. I am sticking with the H bar for my Ogre but will consider this bar for a future Big Dummy build.
    Curious, what's a "regular straight bar grip" on an H-bar?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    668
    This bar will be perfect on a Dummy because I'm sure it's a boat anchor!

    I might get one along with a bunch of other Surly parts and end up with a 35 lb Ogre
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: quiksilverkurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Curious, what's a "regular straight bar grip" on an H-bar?
    On the Titec H bar you can use the hand position just inside of the Horns and it is fairly close to having a normal MTB CC handlebar set up. If your on flat trails and don't need your hands on the brake levers than this is a great hand position.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~ H.G. Wells

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •