Moloko Bar!

Printable View

  • 09-19-2012
    dfltroll
    Moloko Bar!
    Just noticed this now as I was checking out the updated website. Talk about taking a good design and making it better. One of these will be gracing my Big Dummy as soon as they're available.

    Moloko Bar | Parts | Surly Bikes
  • 09-19-2012
    R n R Troll
    It seems that the new Moloko bar low rise is the perfect bar for me.
    Plenty of room for lights and GPS and all that stuff on the front of the bar.
    I like it.
    Its a good take off on the Jeff Jones original bar.
    Hopefully it is not in the same price range. The JJ are expensive, worth it though.
  • 09-20-2012
    Dalton
    I roll the open bar right now, bu that may change when this one comes to market. I like it!
  • 09-20-2012
    JAGI410
    This bar with the new Ergon grips for swept back bars could be an awesome combo!
  • 09-20-2012
    FTMN
    Here's a pic I found from Interbike: http://fat-bike.com/wp-content/uploa...d-new-bars.jpg

    Looks like a winner!!. Anyone else found more pics?
  • 09-20-2012
    mattbryant2
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    This bar with the new Ergon grips for swept back bars could be an awesome combo!

    What are these grips you speak of?
  • 09-21-2012
    vaultbrad
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    This bar with the new Ergon grips for swept back bars could be an awesome combo!

    Indeed? Elaborate, please.
  • 09-22-2012
    r1Gel
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Just noticed this now as I was checking out the updated website. Talk about taking a good design and making it better. One of these will be gracing my Big Dummy as soon as they're available.

    Moloko Bar | Parts | Surly Bikes

    An Loop H-bar in reverse! An "A-bar"??? :p
  • 09-22-2012
    JAGI410
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    What are these grips you speak of?

    They showed them at Eurobike, here's a pic and blurb from bikerumor:

    "New GC1 grips are designed for city bikes with bent handlebars to put the hand and wrist in a straighter, more neutral position. Also available in a shorter one to work with twist shifters. They get an updated rubber compound, too."

  • 09-24-2012
    benswift
    when will these come out at LBS?
    the moloko I mean?
  • 09-24-2012
    FTMN
    They are supposed to be at Q on 11/15.

    Looks like the same MSRP as the Open Bar ($60).
  • 09-24-2012
    byknuts
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    They showed them at Eurobike, here's a pic and blurb from bikerumor:

    "New GC1 grips are designed for city bikes with bent handlebars to put the hand and wrist in a straighter, more neutral position. Also available in a shorter one to work with twist shifters. They get an updated rubber compound, too."


    ennh?
    they sell us grips that allow us to rotate our wrists a bit, giving us more of a swept bar feel, then when we buy swept bars they try to sell grips that give us more of a flat-bar feel?
  • 09-28-2012
    backcountryeti
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    ennh?
    they sell us grips that allow us to rotate our wrists a bit, giving us more of a swept bar feel, then when we buy swept bars they try to sell grips that give us more of a flat-bar feel?

    Haha!
  • 09-28-2012
    XJaredX
    The MSRP is $60 or 70- I spec'd them on my Big Dummy build but I don't know that my shop tried to order them yet, I wasn't aware that they weren't available until November... hmmm.
  • 10-15-2012
    mattdokken
    So will this have similar geometry to H Loop bar?
  • 10-16-2012
    Turtle01
    Surly's website states that they are an Open Bar with a crossbar welded in. So.....

    Open Bar / Moloko Bar
    Sweep Angle: 53 degrees
    Width: 666mm

    Loop H-Bar
    Sweep Angle: 45 degrees
    Width (center to center): 667mm
  • 10-16-2012
    LostBoyScout
    One of these in a ~30 degree sweep would rock my socks. Maybe one day.
  • 10-17-2012
    Hand/of/Midas
    I put Jones bars on a lot of bikes, but the price of these is super good. I like this.
  • 12-05-2012
    Ze_Zaskar
    Any news on this handlebar?
  • 12-05-2012
    quiksilverkurt
    It is too bad that it is not a 31.8mm stem. I also believe the H Bar would be better for single track as it has a regular straight bar grip to it. I am sticking with the H bar for my Ogre but will consider this bar for a future Big Dummy build.
  • 12-05-2012
    quiksilverkurt
    availability
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Any news on this handlebar?

    QBP claims they will be in stock on January 1st. So I would guess they would be available to your LBS in mid to late January. :thumbsup:
  • 12-05-2012
    Ze_Zaskar
    Thanks
    Looking forward to see some reviews
  • 12-05-2012
    Turtle01
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by quiksilverkurt View Post
    It is too bad that it is not a 31.8mm stem. I also believe the H Bar would be better for single track as it has a regular straight bar grip to it. I am sticking with the H bar for my Ogre but will consider this bar for a future Big Dummy build.

    Curious, what's a "regular straight bar grip" on an H-bar?
  • 12-05-2012
    LostBoyScout
    This bar will be perfect on a Dummy because I'm sure it's a boat anchor!

    I might get one along with a bunch of other Surly parts and end up with a 35 lb Ogre :D
  • 12-05-2012
    quiksilverkurt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Curious, what's a "regular straight bar grip" on an H-bar?

    On the Titec H bar you can use the hand position just inside of the Horns and it is fairly close to having a normal MTB CC handlebar set up. If your on flat trails and don't need your hands on the brake levers than this is a great hand position.
  • 12-06-2012
    Gormson
    Hi folks ... i was checking the Surly Blog and found a better picture of an PreMoloko Bar. I like the Loop Design and i tried a Jones Cut H Bar. The sweep angle and the width does not fit for me. Maybe the moloko is better ;)

    I'm not to be able to post pictures and links at this time. :sad: Go to the surly blog page and read "Is it possible to wheelie the Big Dummy???."
  • 12-06-2012
    Turtle01
    Hey quiksilverkurt,

    I understand now what you are talking about. That's a mighty narrow bar grip area. I use my Open Bar to put my shoulder in a more stable position, so I wouldn't hold a straight bar anymore even if it was wider. I know people like that position for another hand placement and I get that. Thanks for responding.

    Dan
  • 12-15-2012
    BoogieMang
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by quiksilverkurt View Post
    QBP claims they will be in stock on January 1st. So I would guess they would be available to your LBS in mid to late January. :thumbsup:

    Thanks, I was just wondering when this would be available.
  • 12-16-2012
    Saddle Up
    A big part of what I like about the Open Bar is the ride quality, there is just enough flex to be comfortable. I wonder if the cross brace of the Moloko will change that dramatically?
  • 01-20-2013
    BoogieMang
    Has anyone heard an update on when these might be available?
  • 01-20-2013
    No_Roads
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    Has anyone heard an update on when these might be available?

    My LBS said May. Hopefully they turn out to be wrong because I'm really interested in this one.
  • 01-21-2013
    BoogieMang
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by No_Roads View Post
    My LBS said May. Hopefully they turn out to be wrong because I'm really interested in this one.

    Seriously? WTF
  • 01-23-2013
    permanganate
    May 1st is what I was saw a couple weeks ago. I was specing out a Troll build, and so I decided to roll with the default open bar until I can get one of these with the 40mm rise.
  • 01-24-2013
    XJaredX
    Man they are getting wack with their release dates for stuff.
  • 02-08-2013
    brokebike
    1 Attachment(s)
    I found these "trekking bars" made by Dimension (that's what they were called) on a bargain table at my LBS. Before I found these, I was considering the Jones bars for my 'Dummy. I'm not sure if you can find these anywhere because they may be discontinured, but I really like them, and they're somewhat similar to the Moloko bar, but with way less sweep back.
    Attachment 769852
  • 02-08-2013
    Turtle01
    Brokebike,

    Just looked at qbp for Dimension bars and these are not on available anymore. The ones that they label as Trekking bars now are the ones that loop back towards the rider to have a fore and aft hand positions as well as side positions. I think some people call them butterfly bars?
  • 02-09-2013
    brokebike
    Yeah, I thought that was odd, because I always associate the term "trekking bars" with the huge, butterfly-shaped bars. Yet, that's what the packaging on these said. I'm not surprised if they can't be found... I had a hard time tracking down information on them online. They sure are comfy, though. I wish I had purchased both sets of bars that the bike shop had for sale, because I'd love to put another set on my Troll that I'm currently building up!
  • 02-09-2013
    brokebike
    The curved portion of this bar reminds me of the Torsion bar
  • 02-10-2013
    r1Gel
    Nice find :thumbsup:
    How wide are those?
    I was looking for those before settling on a Titec H-Bar (which I eventually sold; now on Carnegie's).
  • 02-11-2013
    brokebike
    Thanks! They're 66cm wide.
  • 03-18-2013
    Unchewable
    No Moloko bar

    I wrote into Surly as I was debating between this bar for the price and the Jones bar for the increased hand positions. I asked them if they had to stop making it because it was pulled from their site. Eric Sovern responded to me with this.

    "We never started really. It wouldn't be done the way we needed it done, so we've scrapped it for the time being."
  • 03-19-2013
    dfltroll
    That's a bummer about the Moloio bar. I wonder if they're still doing the Torsion bar, it's been unavailable for quite a while.
  • 03-28-2013
    scyule
    1 Attachment(s)
    I see what is right and approve, but I do what is wrong.
  • 03-28-2013
    Spinymouse
    Perhaps Velo-Orange will fill this handlemilkbar market niche like clockwork.

    Ugh. That was awful. I'm sorry. :prft: :rolleyes:
  • 04-10-2013
    johnny the boy
    the moloko bar has been discontinued by surly, as well as the torsion bar.


    ....also the fixxer and endomorph tire.
  • 04-10-2013
    HardyWeinberg
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    the moloko bar has been discontinued by surly, as well as the torsion bar.


    ....also the fixxer and endomorph tire.

    Blog | Surly Bikes
  • 04-10-2013
    rifraf
    I thought these might be worth a crack to anyone whose budget "currently" doesn't quite stretch to the genuine Jeff Jones bar but likes the sweep.
    Humpert Space Bugel Handlebars Cruiser MTB Town 25.4mm | eBay
    What do you think?