Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moloko Bar!

30K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  rifraf 
#1 ·
Just noticed this now as I was checking out the updated website. Talk about taking a good design and making it better. One of these will be gracing my Big Dummy as soon as they're available.

Moloko Bar | Parts | Surly Bikes

#2 ·
It seems that the new Moloko bar low rise is the perfect bar for me.
Plenty of room for lights and GPS and all that stuff on the front of the bar.
I like it.
Its a good take off on the Jeff Jones original bar.
Hopefully it is not in the same price range. The JJ are expensive, worth it though.

#20 ·
It is too bad that it is not a 31.8mm stem. I also believe the H Bar would be better for single track as it has a regular straight bar grip to it. I am sticking with the H bar for my Ogre but will consider this bar for a future Big Dummy build.

#26 ·
Hi folks ... i was checking the Surly Blog and found a better picture of an PreMoloko Bar. I like the Loop Design and i tried a Jones Cut H Bar. The sweep angle and the width does not fit for me. Maybe the moloko is better ;)

I'm not to be able to post pictures and links at this time. :sad: Go to the surly blog page and read "Is it possible to wheelie the Big Dummy???."

#27 ·
Hey quiksilverkurt,

I understand now what you are talking about. That's a mighty narrow bar grip area. I use my Open Bar to put my shoulder in a more stable position, so I wouldn't hold a straight bar anymore even if it was wider. I know people like that position for another hand placement and I get that. Thanks for responding.

Dan

#35 ·
I found these "trekking bars" made by Dimension (that's what they were called) on a bargain table at my LBS. Before I found these, I was considering the Jones bars for my 'Dummy. I'm not sure if you can find these anywhere because they may be discontinured, but I really like them, and they're somewhat similar to the Moloko bar, but with way less sweep back.
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim

#36 ·
Brokebike,

Just looked at qbp for Dimension bars and these are not on available anymore. The ones that they label as Trekking bars now are the ones that loop back towards the rider to have a fore and aft hand positions as well as side positions. I think some people call them butterfly bars?

#37 ·
Yeah, I thought that was odd, because I always associate the term "trekking bars" with the huge, butterfly-shaped bars. Yet, that's what the packaging on these said. I'm not surprised if they can't be found... I had a hard time tracking down information on them online. They sure are comfy, though. I wish I had purchased both sets of bars that the bike shop had for sale, because I'd love to put another set on my Troll that I'm currently building up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.